Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sand as Substrate for a Beardy?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

is it ok to use sand??
    ive heard alot of people saying no, but im using reptile carpet at the moment and i hate it!

can i switch to sand? my beardy is about 9-10 inches!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

Right I know nothing about beardies :p But I have heard people say that it is best not to give them sand as a youngster because they can eat it and it can cause blockages. They also might eat the pine chippings and if they get caught in the gut it could tear it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

No, dont put them on sand even the so called safe calci sand is a killer, now some people keep them on it and have no problem but i woudnt risk it. Your best bet is kitchen towel or news paper, but if you did wanna put something different down try some woo chipping but put down some newspaper/kitchen towel during feeding time and drop the cricks on to that so that when there gulping up a cricket they wont eat a bit of wood instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

I have sand in mine Ive got two beardies and the're about the same size as yours, ( ones about 9 inches the others 8 ) it works fine for them and the dont swallow any because i bought a very coarse sand so its to big to easily stick to the crickets . I dont like wood chipping that much myself because it can still be eaten by mistake and also its easier for the small crickets to hide under the chipping . just make sure the sand doesn't get wet. if you do decide to get sand then I would go with coarse sand and fair bit of it so its about 1 inch thick as it forms a nice solid ground for them and it doesn't really move that much . It also give them the option to bury their heads if the want to go asleep or the bulb is to bright for their eyes.

Advertisement