Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hope the US Military pop one in their skulls

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

They certainly were. Back in the mid forties maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My sense of patriotic duty got put in a drawer somewhere after I saw loose change. Then I had to start questioning a lot of things.
    Go South

I forgot about that.. and I have a place of refuge in Charleston :p Ice Tea is the State drink apparently. I do very much enjoy it to be honest. Unsweetened with lemon. Mmm.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Think of all the great war movies Iraq will inspire in future.

That's true.

Unfortunately at the moment all that invasion seems to be inspiring is shaky, handheld camera, Jihadist footage on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Dinter wrote: »
    That's true.

Unfortunately at the moment all that invasion seems to be inspiring is shaky, handheld camera, Jihadist footage on the internet.

Cloverfield Does Iraq?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the blair wmd project?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

That's true.

I'm hoping that the cost of steadycams will come down to more affordable levels.

It's the poor production values I take issue with.

Oh and the constant keening moan in the background. A nice bass overlay would help build the tension more.

Really don't seem to put the effort in at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Did I succeed in making you realise that the people killed by these so called insurgents are only a small percentage of civilians killed, compared to the amount killed by the Americans?

Hang on a second, I just copped this.

Earlier on in this thread you asked me how many of the several hundred civilians killed in December 07 were killed by Americans. I responsed with 39, the best information I'm able to find.

The numbers for last month, according to IBC, are 700 civilians killed, 36 by the US and one by the British. Not that my maths skills are too shoddy, but that seems to be a smaller percentage of civilians killed by Western forces than by insurgents and other lawless types. In one day, this single incident killed thrice as many civilians as the entire MNF managed all month.

You're right. 'Insurgent' probably isn't the best word for them, they are terrorists. Insurgents at least would be likely to attack government targets, not pet markets.

NTM

• Advertisement

It's the poor production values I take issue with.

Oh and the constant keening moan in the background. A nice bass overlay would help build the tension more.

Really don't seem to put the effort in at all.

For me, it's the editing. Their insistance on cutting the clip before the dust clears on the explosion, or as soon as a shot is fired by a sniper makes it very difficult to analyse just how effective their attack was. No continuity at all, sadly. They obviously think the droning music before the explosion is far more entertaining than seeing broken and mangled US equipment and personnel afterwards.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Earlier on in this thread you asked me how many of the several hundred civilians killed in December 07 were killed by Americans. I responsed with 39, the best information I'm able to find.

The numbers for last month, according to IBC, are 700 civilians killed, 36 by the US and one by the British. Not that my maths skills are too shoddy, but that seems to be a smaller percentage of civilians killed by Western forces than by insurgents and other lawless types. In one day, this single incident killed thrice as many civilians as the entire MNF managed all month.

You're right. 'Insurgent' probably isn't the best word for them, they are terrorists. Insurgents at least would be likely to attack government targets, not pet markets.

NTM
    I meant over all. Not just two months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

For me, it's the editing. Their insistance on cutting the clip before the dust clears on the explosion, or as soon as a shot is fired by a sniper makes it very difficult to analyse just how effective their attack was. No continuity at all, sadly. They obviously think the droning music before the explosion is far more entertaining than seeing broken and mangled US equipment and personnel afterwards.

NTM

The ones from chechnya the balkans etc that I have seen are the same too. Its like the editor is the same 14 yr old youtube nut.

I find the allahu akhbar wailing to be dreary too. These guys need a media consultant and a haircut. They all sound like hysterical non-drinking little lady boys in my view. They are all built like 14 yr olds too. They remind me of morris dancers or one of those wierd shaker cults from years and years ago that repeats everything over and over and over in a hypnotic trance like state. Keep thinking one day one of them will snap out of it and shoot the rest - ya never know. I really think the beheading videos came about because they are just not intimidating enough without going for the gore factor.

I meant over all. Not just two months ago.

Please educate me, then. (I'm going back over this thread to see if I missed some figures you posted) A quick look around the web doesn't seem to show a tally of how many civilians have been killed by the US military bombing them, shooting them, running them over, or tickling them to death since 2003.

NTM

Please educate me, then. (I'm going back over this thread to see if I missed some figures you posted) A quick look around the web doesn't seem to show a tally of how many civilians have been killed by the US military bombing them, shooting them, running them over, or tickling them to death since 2003.

NTM
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4830782.stm

5 seconds to find that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

NTM

yeah, and China discloses the real numbers of people getting taken into their roving killing vans :rolleyes:

Don't trust everything you hear or read. Use your common sense lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

kona wrote: »
    nuke the whole middle east tbh:(

bunch of backwards muck savages.

i pity the yanks, they are fighting in a war with different rules for both sides, wonder what would happen is the US did the same.

Do-Gooder hippies can say what they like about the americans, they are doing the right thing and IMO a very good job:)

ross kemp in afghanistan is a great eye-opener, the scumbags use mosques as cover to murder the coalition soldiers in sneaky ambushes, because they know the NATO forces cant fire back.

hope they level the playing field and bring back the daisy cutters and call in napalm just like vietnam.

You're an a**hole.

You're banned.

Terry wrote: »

Fantastic. And can you find anything which actually answers the question?

The figures in the first paragraph in the thousands are total dead, regardless of cause.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

The numbers for last month, according to IBC, are 700 civilians killed, 36 by the US and one by the British.

The numbers for the last year according to Iraq Body Count show that deaths of civilians from US forces rose by at least 300.
    The death rate in Iraq in the past 12 months has been the second highest in any year since the invasion, according to figures that appear to contradict American claims that the troop "surge" has dramatically reduced the level of violence across the country.

The number of civilians killed during operations involving US forces in the past 12 months also rose, from between 544 and 623 in 2006 to between 868 and 1,326 in 2007. The report claims that most of these casualties were linked to air strikes, in which 88 children were reported to have died.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iraq-death-rate-belies-us-claims-of-success-768558.html

Also keep in mind that Iraq Body Count has consistently said that their figures are almost certainly understated because of their methodology.Many families bury their dead without notifying the authorities.

NTM

The Pentagon won't reveal those figures so they can disparage honest attempts to engage with the true numbers.It's part of the same strategy which forbids taking photos of returning coffins. There's a very strong push to convince the unwashed masses that the "good news" outweighs the bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

other than invasion, what was the solution to the problems in iraq?
    We can quote stats and figures till we are blue in the face but what i have never heard from any anti iraq war campaigners was a proposed solution to the problem there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

faceman wrote: »
    other than invasion, what was the solution to the problems in iraq?
    We can quote stats and figures till we are blue in the face but what i have never heard from any anti iraq war campaigners was a proposed solution to the problem there.

I think the US should have concentratred on Afghanistan and finding Bin Laden. Going into Iraq based on a speculative threat that might emerge in the future was a monumental blunder.The latest reports coming out of Afghanistan are grim.

The relief agency, Oxfam International, has sent an open letter to the leaders of supporting nations calling for "a major change in direction in order to reduce suffering and avert humanitarian disaster."

The influential US-based Afghanistan Study Group has meanwhile warned that the progress made in the six years since the end of the Taleban regime "is under serious threat from resurgent violence, weakening international resolve, and a growing lack of confidence on the part of the Afghan people".

And the US think-tank, the Atlantic Council of the United States, starts its report with the words: "Make no mistake, Nato is not winning in Afghanistan."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7219156.stm

How many more examples do some people need of the folly of invading Iraq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

kona wrote: »
    this post demonstrats that you are a muppet....maybe kermit

i know alot more than you sonny boy;)

you now in fairness are a total gob****e, you jump into the tail end of a thread and post rubbish.
    good lad, if i had bin ladens e-mail id tell him ive a retard here that he can shove a few pounds of c4 up his rectum.

again

do you support hussein??
    do you support bin laden???

how much do you know about the topic.... in more than 20 words;)
    now dont hopalong to google and search.....

Palestine, Israel, Africa There are hundreds of countries suffering terrorism with even more terrible tolls.. Sep 11 was a tragedy because the buildings collapsed causing more suffering.In New Orleans millions suffered again because of a structural failure that the authorities were constantly warned about. US Incompetence and a handful of terrorist's dont justify the incredible death toll in iraq with the latest polls estimating it is over 1.2 million with the majority due to the actual invasion i.e airstrikes etc..

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2170237,00.html
    http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/aboutoil.htm
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20021006/ai_n12580286
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/future-of-iraq-the-spioilis-of-war-431114.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/4354269.stm
    http://www.publicintegrity.org/WarCard/

Disputed Death Tolls, Are the UK and US covering up the death toll??

http://www.medialens.org/alerts/07/070918_the_media_ignore.php
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7180055.stm
    http://www.opinion.co.uk/Newsroom_details.aspx?NewsId=88
    http://www.opinion.co.uk/Newsroom_details.aspx?NewsId=78

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2008/01/23/BL2008012301758.html?hpid=opinionsbox1/

Advertisement