Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help for asd children

Options
  • 01-02-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, do any of you feel like doing a good turn.
    I am chair of the North Fingal Autism and Aspergers Support group and BYW the ADHD group.
    But for now I wear my ASD hat.
    We are looking at getting some equipment for asd children.
    Theses would be , of different textures, different colors and easy to hold, non toxic paint etc.Maybe a jigsaw -with a difference.
    If anyone feels like making a piece and donating it , please contact me.We have collection box's up so can pay for materials.I can 100% guarantee the toys will be given to schools that have ASD children and will be loaned to them with the idea they will be returned after , say 3-6 months and then loaned to a different school.Unless the school says they use them and totally depend on them, then, they get them long term.We would hate to take them off the kids when they are enjoying them ,ASD kids and routine!!
    anyway any offers are very very very welcomed.Thank you letters from schools will be forward from participating schools.

thanks ,

cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Do you have premises and do you need any furniture for the kids
    May be able to help out
    What development interaction toys are best suited?
    Different age groups need deferent development aides any recommendations?
    Safety aspects to look out for ect…
    regards jbcford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi , we don't have a premises , a school that opens its doors to a ASD child , get a resource teacher and a SNA.
    So normally, the child would leave their mainstream classroom and go to a smaller room and work for maybe an hour with the resource teacher on their own different needs.
    The one school I have in mind , for now have a girl age 5 with ASD.
    She has a thing for textures, and shiny objects.
    I will see if I can see things that I think are suitable.
    From a safety point of view, that's why non toxic paint, no small edible parts, but that said, LEGO is tiny.
    I did once see a guy who made up jig saws, they where made of ply wood and they where didn't make up a picture , they made up a pattern.You could solve the jigsaw by following the pattern.The pattern was made up of different shades and textures of the wood.This was done by the grain of the wood.I think .Nice, no sharp edges, lots of fun.
    Thanks, again,
    Cathy
    ps, we HOPE to have the first Autism intervention unit up and running by September, with a bit of luck,
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

something like these,maybe it would be cheeper to just buy them, just a thought

tops.jpg

or

dolphin1-5.gifor

flowerjigsaw.jpg

cheers,
    cathy

Advertisement