Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owl wireless energy monitor

• 01-02-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I am thinking of buying the owl wireless energy monitor and was wondering if anyone out there has been using this devise. What I really want to know is does it record information that can be downloaded and studied later or does it merely give you a reading at any one time???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Is that the device where you put the transmitter at the incoming cable to the electricity meter and it transmits the KWhr usage to the receiver in the house?

If it is I don't think it gives anything beyond the current KWhr reading and possibly the total for the day. It also gives you a reading in Euros used of electricity per hour.
    I'm fairly sure there's no download output possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

The Owl seems to be a replacement for the Electrisave unit.
    You can download the User Manual here

It doesn't store any data for later study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kfcjohn

Thanks guys. Can't see much use to it if you have to sit down looking at it for the day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 frankstar

The wattson energy monitor has the same capabilities but looks great and has many more added features such as being able to download the stored data to the holmes software. There you can analyse your energy usage and see how it is being reduced or even export to .CSV file. It also measures production versus consumption for microgenerators so you know when its a good time to turn on your washing machine!
    Check out www.wattson.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

kfcjohn wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Can't see much use to it if you have to sit down looking at it for the day!!!

We got one free in the house in England,

They are handy for free. I'm not sure if there are ones available that can do what you want.

The idea behind them sending them out over here was to make you aware of how much things are costing you.

You have it plugged in, and once it is in view you start to notice things more and hence become more aware of energy conservation.

Good for free, and have done the job here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Thread revival :D

Just picked up one of these and installed it in the ESB cabinet tonight. Just wondering if there are any people out there using one and what kind of figures are other people are getting for their electricity usage? I am basing it on a unit rate of 16 cent per kWh, at the moment in my house (with TV running, PC one, some downstairs lights on and dishwasher running on eco cycle) I am running at 12.8 cents per hour, or 0.81kW. Does this sound crazy expensive or about right, as a ballpark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I seen one of these in B&Q for 53€(approx).

Im running some heavy heating equipment for a home tshirt pressing so i was thinking of getting one.

I never thought of a downloadable information one. That would be mighty handy to see. Quite alot more options and analysis.

Has anyone tried the one mentioned above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Tinker, the Owl monitor I have (Model 160 I think it is) has the USB cable with it so you can download your energy stats to your PC. I had one of those Wattson ones before and couldn't get it to work properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I Have been using one for about two years, they are great as long as you look at them fairly regurarly, you can start to recognise when things are left on when everybody is out of the house and go around like a nutter looking for things to turn off!! and just wait untill you see what an electric shower does to it!!!

Advertisement