Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maniac motorist

Options
  • 01-02-2008 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have no intention of starting another motorist v cyclist war but something happened to me less than two hours ago so bizarre that I have to share it.

To set the scene, Watling Street links Ushers Quay beside the Guinness Brewery to Thomas Street/James Street. Island Street is a side road to the left of Watling Street about 40 metres from the Quays and this short stretch is one way only north - south.

I am always wary of this junction as it is a blind turn and it is difficult to see if there is a car coming. However, I could not have expected that this evening just as I reach the junction a car would bomb out and begin to turn right i.e. down the one way street. It narrowly missed me only because I slammed on the brakes and veered away from it.

The driver, a young "lady", also braked but only because there was a line of cars behind me and she could not go down the one-way street. I hopped off the bike and rapped on her window. Now, what would you expect her to do? Apologise profusely for her mistake? Start crying? Ask if I'm alright? All three? Not a bit of it. She began screaming at me not to touch her car calling me every name under the sun in the process. When I tried to point out that not only had she failed to obey a Stop sign and almost flattened me in the process but she was also doing an illegal right turn, she told me that if I didn't fcuk off she would run me over!!!!! In fact, she began to reverse the car threatening to do so and only stopped when I pointed out that there were at least six cars stopped and witnessing her antics. Instead, as her shortcut to the Quays was now blocked, she took off up Watling Street at speed while continuing to scream insults through her open window.

I have cycled in this city for more than 20 years and I could write a book on motorists behaviour but the sheer arrogance and bare-faced cheek of this little madam beats all. And no, before anyone suggests it as an excuse, it was very clear that she was not remotely afraid of me.

Sorry for being so lengthy but I just had to get this off my chest. A short lesson in how to be made feel a criminal while doing absolutely nothing wrong.

O.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Did you take the registration number? If so would you not make a report with the local Garda station for dangerous driving. In any case, a record of this will be kept and at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that this has been recorded. from your description of this person, it would seem that this will not be her last collision driving with carelessness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, report her.
    Maybe nothing will be done but if someone else makes a second report and then a third and so on, she'll be getting a visit.

You've nothing to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I've seen so many dickheads losing it like this around Dublin (particularly around the Baggot St area for some reason) that I've set my phone up so that the camera function is a button-press away. I'd suggest you do the same for future incidents, then get a snap of the reg, plus ideally of the offender's face (even if it doesn't help a prosecution, it might at least put the sh1ts up them enough that they'll be more careful in future).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Yes I do have the reg no but, unfortunately, my past experiences of reporting dangerous driving to the Gardai would not be the most encouraging. You are right though, I should report it. I must look up which Garda Station covers that part of town as the nearest one, the Bridewell, only covers north of the river.

O.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You should report her for the mistake of making an illegal right turn and speeding. She was probably oblivious to any road signage and trying to avoid being stuck in traffic, she could have creamed you. How else is she going to learn carrying on like that. After all driving is all about learning even with a full driving licence and 20 years driving experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ollaetta wrote: »
    Yes I do have the reg no but, unfortunately, my past experiences of reporting dangerous driving to the Gardai would not be the most encouraging. You are right though, I should report it. I must look up which Garda Station covers that part of town as the nearest one, the Bridewell, only covers north of the river.
    Definitely report it. I recommend reporting her to TrafficWatch 1890-205-805. It will be recorded in PULSE and the local station faxed the info.
    Then ring Bridewell - they'll transfer you to the right station. Report it there too, though ideally in person. Note the name and shoulder number of the Garda so you can follow up.

The advantage of TrafficWatch is the entry into PULSE. In the station they may not be so diligent (I've seen driving license application forms used to record my reports - how reassuring :rolleyes: ).

I consistently find that the guilty are very angry and aggressive. Someone who did that by accident would probably be apologetic.

Just back from Kevin Street. Gave them the full story. Have to wait and see if anything comes from it. I'm still fuming but feel a bit better having reported it.

O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

You did well to show such restraint too. This person is clearly not suitable to be behind the wheel of a car and hopefully she'll be warned/caught before anyone gets hurt by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Well done for reporting it. You did all cyclists a service.
    Just back from Kevin Street. Gave them the full story. Have to wait and see if anything comes from it. I'm still fuming but feel a bit better having reported it.

O.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Well done for reporting it, definitely the right thing to do. I cycle up watling St most evenings and I know the corner you're talking about. Only this week I was made aware that some people charge up that side street, the potential for an accident is high.

You handled it well, she sounds like a sociopath. If she gets nailed for it, we'll all be a little safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Well done for reporting it. You did all cyclists a service.

Judging from her reaction I think he did us motorists a service as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

O.

If you do report it to the station, ask them for a PULSE id number, so that you can be certain that it has been logged on the system. I fully agree with advice from Daymobrew re TrafficWatch and Monkey Tennis re cameras.

I have six cases going through Traffic Watch for drivers breaking a regular one-way system on my route. Two went to court before Christmas, but in one case, the Guard was off sick, and in the other case, the summons was never served on the driver, so both of these are being rescheduled. I'm looking forward to my day(s) in court.

In dealing with angry drivers, I've found that throwing my bike on the ground in front of the car is effective in sending a message that you mean business and are not to be messed with. It also leaves me free and nimble for dodging drivers, if the worst comes to the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Congratulations,

You managed yourself and the situation exceptionally well. I agree with all the above who say report it. The driver for want of a better word was ignorant, selfish and devoid of any understanding for other road users.

In all my close encounters, I have never experienced a driver who was so arrogent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've had this sort of reaction from drivers before: "I'm in a car, you're on a bike; if I hit you, you'll be the one dead and I'll only have a scratch on my car. Get the fúck out of my way."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Hey OP, my girlfriend was in the green Honda right behind you and saw the whole thing - I've sent you a PM.

milod wrote: »
    Hey OP, my girlfriend was in the green Honda right behind you and saw the whole thing.
    This is getting good.
    If this incident goes to court we should try to go along.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hey OP, my girlfriend was in the green Honda right behind you and saw the whole thing - I've sent you a PM.

fantastic!
    This should be interesting, be nice to keep us updated :)
    daymobrew wrote: »
    This is getting good.
    If this incident goes to court we should try to go along.

agreed, prove to dangerous drivers they can't get away with this type of stuff

No response from the OP so far, but my g/f said she'd provide a supporting statement - so we might just ring Kevin St Garda Station.

It'll be interesting to see if they have it on record... ;)

If anyone here knows the OP, please give him a shout - might not be a regular boardsie...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

blorg wrote: »
    I've had this sort of reaction from drivers before: "I'm in a car, you're on a bike; if I hit you, you'll be the one dead and I'll only have a scratch on my car. Get the fúck out of my way."

"I'd rather be dead than someone's b!tch in prison"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No response from the OP so far, but my g/f said she'd provide a supporting statement - so we might just ring Kevin St Garda Station.

It'll be interesting to see if they have it on record... ;)

If anyone here knows the OP, please give him a shout - might not be a regular boardsie...

the op's not been on-line since 3rd of Feb, maybe best to PM them

• Advertisement

Yup tried that when I read the post!

If any of the mods have his email, you can pass my details to him - G/F is quite militant and eager to help, having nursed me after two major car v. bike spills in the last three years!

Sorry guys,

I've been away the last few days. Thanks Milod for the supportive message. I'll certainly bear that in mind if it goes any further. I noticed when I passed there since that there is a CCTV camera pointing straight at that junction but it's a private operation and in any event they probably wipe them every 24 hours or so.

No word yet from the Gardai other than the disappointing news that the reg no I gave must have been wrong. I was certain I had it correct so it's a bummer. The guy that rang me did say they have ways of doing wildcard searches on reg nos but it would take a while.

I'll post a follow up if there is anything to report.

Cheers,

O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I noticed when I passed there since that there is a CCTV camera pointing straight at that junction but it's a private operation and in any event they probably wipe them every 24 hours or so.
    You have certain rights of access to CCTV images, regardless of whether it is public or private, but you'll need to get in quickly.

Thanks Milod for the supportive message. I'll certainly bear that in mind if it goes any further. I noticed when I passed there since that there is a CCTV camera pointing straight at that junction but it's a private operation and in any event they probably wipe them every 24 hours or so.

No word yet from the Gardai other than the disappointing news that the reg no I gave must have been wrong.
    If you have the wrong reg you definitely should get Milod's girlfriend to call into Kevin St station to make a statement. If she has the correct reg then even better.

It is worth asking the CCTV owners to look at the footage. They might not wipe it as often as you think - tapes are very cheap so they'll probably have loads.

Advertisement