Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

reconnect phone line.ave to pay €120?

• 01-02-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hello

I'm living in an appartment, theres a phone line there the old tenents used to use apparently. I'm trying to get away from using my mobile as much. If the line hasen't been used in a year,To reconnect the line apparently eircom have to send a guy for €120, to do?..
    Anyone know if its something I can do myself? Seems a bit of a scam, n hard to justify the expense as I pay enough for my mobile bil as it is, then there'll b line rental etc, n I'll only b there for another year I reckon

Appreciate any ideas or contributions

Cheers

Patrick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Thats the charge.. within three months its somethin like €35.. No unfortunatly you cant do it your self...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

thanks for responding.prob cheaper jus to keep usin mobile as most people ave em n landline to mobile is expensive. jus fryin my brain:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Is there a dial tone when you plug a phone into the socket? The reconnection charge is a lot cheaper if there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have cable into the apartment, most cable operators are now doing a phone service. Connection is generally free and monthly way cheaper than eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

seamus wrote: »
    If you have cable into the apartment, most cable operators are now doing a phone service. Connection is generally free and monthly way cheaper than eircom.

If there is cable(broadband) then I would look at going down the VOIP route. Take a look at Blueface or Freespeech I personally use Blueface along with VoipCheap. You can pick some nice VOIP hardware on Ebay. The Linksys 941 is a nice piece of kit and pretty easy set-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Yes it is possible to do it yourself as I have done it. Problem is with Eircom even if they dont send a guy out they can still charge what they like. The chance that your apartment connection has been disconnected from the exchange is slim. If your line is still connected at the apartment and at the street then all they have to do is patch it at the exchange, another option is to keep an eye for a special offer, sometimes they do free connnections etc. I got mine connected at my house for free and I even ran the cable up the pole and terminated it in the eircom junction box, ok technically your not suppoed to but hey, Im not paying 120 quid for something I can do with my eyes closed!!!

Just to be clear..You cant "re connect" the telephone line your self..You need Eircom to do that at the exchange... when its activated you can then connect it to your socket/phone/house/ pbx what ever be it from the pole or wall socket . But you do need Eircom to activate the line and thats what they charge you for ..
    If it doesnt work in your hall socket after connection and they send someone out its all included..
    If the line has been disconnected in the last three months it'll only be the small charge (think €35) and it'll most def not need anyone to call out.. You;ll need to know the previous number..

your taking it out of context, ive been in the telecom game for ten years and there are situations where you can reconnect yourself to a point.. Obviously if its disconnected at the exchange you cant do that I dont think that needs to be stated but I have had phone disconnected for up to a year and not be charged 120 euro. There are ways around everything, thats all Im saying is dont take it at face value, what one person tells you in Eircom may not be the truth. The only way I used to be able to get anything done it nab a local engineer. Anyways best of luck, keep annoying eircom, they dont need your 120 quid...

FusionNet wrote: »
    Obviously if its disconnected at the exchange you cant do that I dont think that needs to be stated
    Thats exactly what needs to be stated... they OP thought he could do it himself and save €120..

haha you could imagine a guy popping down to the exchange and just lashes patch cables in left right and center till he gets a line!!! Eircom would love that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement