Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo deserve better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I hear what you're saying, but Sligo deserves what they elected. Maybe these recent fiascos might lead to the end of party voting at council level, in favour of electing the best candidate.
    Declan Bree used to be a vocal critic of poor council and borough council decisions. He reeived a constant mauling by fellow councillors and local media, so much so that people I knew who didn't know or care squat about local politics were making glib denouncements of the man. Made my f**king blood boil to see the power of media misused and to see the results of it. Irelands media have an awful lot to answer for (witness TV3 reporter's almost bizzare ambush of Enda Kenny on tonight's Six One). It's shocking to see catch phrases repeated ad naseum by the media come into common parlance. like the "safe pair or hands" that FF represented in the last General Election. As Yeats said "The clever man who cries the catch cries of the clown, The beating down of the wise".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

il gatto wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying, but Sligo deserves what they elected. Maybe these recent fiascos might lead to the end of party voting at council level, in favour of electing the best candidate.
    Declan Bree used to be a vocal critic of poor council and borough council decisions. He reeived a constant mauling by fellow councillors and local media, so much so that people I knew who didn't know or care squat about local politics were making glib denouncements of the man. Made my f**king blood boil to see the power of media misused and to see the results of it. Irelands media have an awful lot to answer for (witness TV3 reporter's almost bizzare ambush of Enda Kenny on tonight's Six One). It's shocking to see catch phrases repeated ad naseum by the media come into common parlance. like the "safe pair or hands" that FF represented in the last General Election. As Yeats said "The clever man who cries the catch cries of the clown, The beating down of the wise".

I think its significant again in the article cited that it is Declan Bree that is a vocal critic of developing Carraroe in the short term at the expense of regenerating Sligo centre. It is readliy accepted that the man has integrity and is'nt swayed by party politics and lobby groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

tuppence wrote: »
    I think its significant again in the article cited that it is Declan Bree that is a vocal critic of developing Carraroe in the short term at the expense of regenerating Sligo centre. It is readliy accepted that the man has integrity and is'nt swayed by party politics and lobby groups.

Doesn't mean he's right though!
    I'm very suprised/disappointed he's come out against this!:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote: »
    Doesn't mean he's right though!
    I'm very suprised/disappointed he's come out against this!:(

Someone isn’t wrong just because they hold a different opinion either. ;) It’s significant that someone who has a track record of working from the ground up takes this stance. One can only surmise. Perhaps development in the outside could have the potential of disenfranchising a lot of his poorer constituents, the people of Cranmore he has been so supportive of ensuring that they are an integral part in regeneration, pensioners rights ( potential non-car drivers). He does mention in the article how this type of outside development has badly effected other towns. In this vein he is pushing for the developers in the town centre to honour their contracts or get fired for the sake of the public have shopping in the centre of Sligo town. The same public that he was lobbying to ensure that their beautiful racecourse didn’t get sold to developers etc.
    It certainly would be great to hear fully his reasoning around not wanting that kind of development. His tireless service on behalf of Sligo public demands that his opinion and political judgement be respected and heard. I would have thought his voice against it is significant.

I would disagree with Bree on the Carraroe issue, but generally I find his opinions on the money. I suppose he is the son of a town center retailer and lives in the middle of town (or used to until a few years back). I suppose he wants a vibrant town center, but that's o.k. when you don't need to drive there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

As soon as one shop opens and other closes in town and some streets are looking bare, castle street for example is dead now with castle furnishings / woods / esb and 1/2 other shops closing and something has to be done, but I don't think Argos is right for there, I had to carry a heavy chest of drawers from argos in jervis street before and it was tough work and i'm a big guy, where as the retail park has parking all around it and would be suitable.

All those properties on Castle Street have been sold for redevelopment. It's wasn't due to business heading out of town. The owners cashed in. Woods is now owned by the Quinn family who are knocking through to the river and putting in a bar, shops and appartments. Castle Interiors etc. is going to be linked through to the Old Market Street/High Street development.
    I really think, however, that the corporation should be imposing some sort of minimun duty of care on the current owners. They shouldn't be allowed to let one of the main streets in town fall into disrepair until they're ready to start work on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Both the planning & legislation for planning made by our councils are a total joke - and that's countrywide. Politicians should really stick to politics & keep well away from planning issues.

Planning & the design of towns & cities should be done by architects & engineers with vision.... long term vision, not like the idiot architects in the planning office who pawn to the needs of developers & politicians & allow suburban sprawls to be built up around the country with little or no infrastructure or facilities.

The bigger picture is rarely considered & the thing that is never considered is the people who have to live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

+1 Il Gatto and Starbelgrade.

Advertisement