Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I'm studying Geography for the Leaving Cert (HL) and find it very interesting. My biggest problem is the exam questions. In other subjects its fairly easy to "get into" the answering technique required by state exams but in geography its strange. Does anybody else think the questions are way too general and ambiguous? I have my mocks coming up next week and I'm sure some questions will be hard to interpret.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Iano2K8

alan4cult wrote: »
    I'm studying Geography for the Leaving Cert (HL) and find it very interesting. My biggest problem is the exam questions. In other subjects its fairly easy to "get into" the answering technique required by state exams but in geography its strange. Does anybody else think the questions are way too general and ambiguous? I have my mocks coming up next week and I'm sure some questions will be hard to interpret.

I totally agree with you... things come up that arent even on the course at times...

n they r very generally as well some questions - whether thats a good r bad thing is hard to know... i think the questions are easily misinterpretated... N like how long r the 30 mark questions supposed to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Cost Boy!!

yeah i feel the same about the exam questions, writing up notes and learning the stuff is grand and fairly easy but interpreting your answers to fit the questions is the hardest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lisadohc

does anyone know what is coming up in geography for the mocks?!..deb papers!?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xxellenxx

i know i am doin mine in lik 8 hrs i should go to sleep but i have ta study!!! if ur not doin urs until mon or whenevr ill help ya out after mine r done 2 morrow!!! My last test thank god!!!

aw hey that would be great,thanks a million..not doin mines until moday..aw lucky u!..i dont finish up till wenesday but was off today so was great!:D..how did geog go for ya!?:confused:...pm me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xxellenxx

learn glacier most short qs are on that!! Plate tectonics...understanind of volc acivity!! rural settelment!! rock cycle...irish landform!! reginal.. map of ire...physical effects economic factors in ire!! industry in india...geoecology if ur doin dat is human activities which lead to desertifacation..........2..compaire 2 soil types...3 how climate effects soil and vegitation in a biome!! Sorry thats all i can remember hope it helps!!friendly warning the short qs are deadly!!

got o ok lik i said short qs were deadly!!good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mary-g

nice one i was crapless about geog!!!are they the deb papers or examcraft one?

aw thanks a mil...i'm so dead,dont understand half of that stuff..:eek:

can ya help me wiv irish paper1 hons and maths paper2 pass??...both deb!

yer a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah Geography I remember it well because it was the ONLY EXAM I DIDNT FINISH.

because of the open-parameters on your questions you can easilly get lost spending 40 minutes or so one your first question, and then youre screwed. Happened to me :(

for this I strongly advise you schedule a handful of Time Trials for your Geography exam. I'd go insofar as to ask your teacher for help. Classes are still 40 mins long right? Ask your teacher to set a 1 question test once a week: it will help immensely. By the time you get into the exam you'll pretty much know what to write and how to write it and in a relatively short space of time.

Niamhiolio: Post Reported. Please read the Rules and Regulations

Why is this such a hard concept: you won't be getting any advance warning in June, so looking for it now does nothing to help you prepare. The primary goal of the mocks is to give students a feel for sitting in an examination hall for 3 hours at a time and (hopefully) coming out with a completed paper. Like I said in my above post ^ use the mock to get a feel for how long you have for writing each question: should be around the 30 minute mark or so.

EDIT: mod gods makin me look like im speaking to ghosts here o_0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

reporting the post is sufficient overheal, thanks. These one shot posters arent really worth reasoning with.

I figured leaving the example for others to read will deter more

>_>

<_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 collette-c

hey thanks for all da tips...does any one know anything else on geog lik more of da long questions and if ya remember netin bout short questions!?! really need some help!
    thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Folers

Hey!!! I don't know if i have the same paper as u but here goes.....
    The physical Geography question I answered you have to know the clint and grike from each other, know one Irish land feature (water fall, v-shaped valley e.c.t) and know how to write about a rock type in Ireland like Igneous....thats what I wrote. Known how they form and give an example e.g- Lenster botholit. To be honest I answered alot of map Qs and did graphs. Thats about it sorry. Oh and the essay Q you get a choice to discuss on the following; Deforestation, Global warming, and desertification. You have to choose 2 of them to talk about k. Short Qs are a little difficult.
    Hope it goes well for ya!!
    Good luck :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My teacher told us it was corrected on an SRS(significant relevant statement) basis. For every one of these you'd get 3 marks, a diagram would count as a SRS aswell. Hope this helps :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 collette-c

thanks..helps!!
    does ne1 have the actual exma dat they cud scan up!?!?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

FFS People cut out the txt speak! You're in 6th year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

Iano2K8 wrote: »
    N like how long r the 30 mark questions supposed to be?

For a 30 mark question its supposed 2 b 15 SRP's (Significant relevant points) 2marks per SRP, dats wat our teacher nd d revision book says!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

disney wrote: »
    For a 30 mark question its supposed 2 b 15 SRP's (Significant relevant points) 2marks per SRP, dats wat our teacher nd d revision book says!!! :D

I thought it was 12 SRP's and 6 marks for overall cohesion?

collette-c wrote: »
    thanks..helps!!
    does ne1 have the actual exma dat they cud scan up!?!?:confused:

direct scans are not allowed by Boards.ie regulation, its a breach of the exam maker's copyright.

Also, transcriptions are not allowed as inherently there is no way to verify that the material you are receiving is genuine: someone could easilly come on here and give you the wrong questions to study. Internet Anonymity is a bitch that way.

And thirdly, cheating at Leaving Cert level is a tad childish dont you think ;)

I understand that even in the real deal you might be able to get away with the odd crutch but know that if you get caught cheating in the official exam hall (for instance, with a cheat sheet) you will be banned from sitting the rest of your exams, your previous exams completed will be null and void, and you will be forbidden from sitting a Leaving Cert examination for several years. Which is why its not a risk you should be willing to take; I have sat in 6th year with the 20-somethings (the oldest being 24) that had to wait that long to sit it again, and not one of them had gotten on very well without their LC results in the intervening few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

by the way,simple mistake which i actually made in the mock exam last month,make sure for a continental or sub-continental region you right about india,i wrote about the mezzogiorno in full detail 0/30 marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

donmeister wrote: »
    by the way,simple mistake which i actually made in the mock exam last month,make sure for a continental or sub-continental region you right about india,i wrote about the mezzogiorno in full detail 0/30 marks!
    Not Just India, US Southwest also.

What's Mezzogiorno considered? coastal?

too long since i did geog..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Overheal wrote: »

...............:eek: I do Geo now n i can't think of it!! One of them days!!:D

Pretty sure they just ask you for a European Region - Not Ireland

open to correction though!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Overheal wrote: »

Its a periphery region in europe,

basically they ask you about a periphery region (either irelands west or the mezzo), though they'll say not ireland if they want you to talk about the mezzo

Ya to the guy above we didnt do india either we do the american south west, not too bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 softfella

The actiually geo exam is just so tedious and long and there is so much information to retain , thats wat worries me.also the fieldwrk i cant get right!everytime we hand them up to our teacher she hands them back with hundreds of corrections and this is a never ending cycle,even wen u correct her crap corrections there are faults.ne tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

softfella wrote: »
    The actiually geo exam is just so tedious and long and there is so much information to retain , thats wat worries me.also the fieldwrk i cant get right!everytime we hand them up to our teacher she hands them back with hundreds of corrections and this is a never ending cycle,even wen u correct her crap corrections there are faults.ne tips?
    get sample answers on examit.ie from the edco exam papers!

blue-army wrote: »
    get sample answers on examit.ie from the edco exam papers!
    read his post... he was on about the fieldwork

ya I know what ya mean softfella just keep at it, there is a end, just finished mine today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

1huge1 wrote: »
    read his post... he was on about the fieldwork

ya I know what ya mean softfella just keep at it, there is a end, just finished mine today
    By fieldwork do you mean the project?

We haven't even started ours yet!

• Advertisement

Ya the project ya,

Im sure you have the investigation done but you mean you havent started writing it up yet...

We started it about two weeks ago, I'll admit im suprised you havent started it yet but theres still a fair bit of time so not to worry

Advertisement