Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Re-introduction

Options
  • 01-02-2008 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

what animal would you like to see introduced to ireland and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Apparently there's something of an attempt occurring to reintroduce wild boar at the moment, in Kilkenny somewhere I believe. That should be pretty interesting. My own preference would be for bears, to liven up walking the dog. :p And on a potentially more serious note, the successful reintroduction of eagles, because they're somewhat incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_animals_of_the_British_Isles

i like all of this list.
    lol "wooly mammoth"
    that'd be a great one when your out for a walk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Wolves for sure. They have a rightful place in Ireland.

Then again bringing them in would almost be like sending them to the slaughter... :mad:

true,unfortunately for animal life,we cant build properly.
    what i mean is,farmers building fencing the keeps predators out, or building human settlements that keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unless it's bog (and even then) every square millimiter of Irish land belongs to somebody who has some form of commercial interest in it or lives on it

There is no room here for big predators (certainly no natural prey) and you don't want wild boar wrecking the farmland either.

Some nice butterfly or other probably would be ok :D

• Advertisement

There is no room here for big predators (certainly no natural prey) and you don't want wild boar wrecking the farmland either.
    this thread is a magical fairytale what if,logic need not be applied.
    and to be fair poor wolves and bears were here first. and we killed them till they were all dead. :D cuz there was no room for us. damn wild humans.
    Some nice butterfly or other probably would be ok
    no one ever suspects the butterfly ;)

i,d like to look over past the forest infront of our house and see a herd of Sauroposeidon. :D

btw
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauroposeidon

well ...in that case ...the Irish Elk

_791385_elk_300.jpg
    megaloceras_hzoom.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Apparently there's something of an attempt occurring to reintroduce wild boar at the moment, in Kilkenny somewhere I believe. That should be pretty interesting. My own preference would be for bears, to liven up walking the dog. :p And on a potentially more serious note, the successful reintroduction of eagles, because they're somewhat incredible.

Golden eagles (Donegal) and white tailed sae eagles (Kerry)are being reintroduced at the moment. The Red Kite is also being introduced to Wicklow, first 30 arrived last summer (I was offical photographer and also collected chicks from the nests in Wales). Golden eagles bred in the wild for the first time in 2007 and 15 Sea eagles were released in Kerry.
    Seems there is a move at the moment to illegally reintroduce Wild Boar, with them confirmed in Wicklow and Leitrim and talk of them in Kilkenny also. They'll cause alot of damage once established.
    Wolves would sort our rising deer problems but certainly would upset alot of farmers, (and alot of deer:))never goin to happen i'd say.
    I would love to reintroduce the Capercaille, but alas we don't have enough of it's habitat left.
    By the way we have a new species of deer in Ireland now, Muntjac, confirmed last summer in Wicklow.

irish elk would rock

Capercaille? too small.
    now this Moa :D:D

Dinornis1387.jpgMoa-Wellington-Museum-NZ.jpg

Natural predators would have lots of natural prey, in the form of our barely controllable deer stocks. Unfortunately, yes, farming would be endangered grossly.

I knew the eagles were re-introduced, I was expressing a hope that they secure a good foothold and breed well. I'd love to see them become a major feature again.

Didn't know the boar were being illegally introduced. Yeah, they'll do enormous damage, but if they can somehow be kept primarily in preserves, they'd be magnificent, and what a beast to hunt!

• Advertisement

Isan.png

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Completely off topic, where abouts in wicklow have the red kite been introduced to? I'd love to try to take some photos of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Didn't know the boar were being illegally introduced. Yeah, they'll do enormous damage, but if they can somehow be kept primarily in preserves, they'd be magnificent, and what a beast to hunt!

I'd say the dogs would get a run for their money.

I would love to see wild eagles myself, such majestic creatures. I saw one in the states in 2005 and it was magnificent.

Rifles only for boar I daresay, and big rifles at that... Magnificent beasts they are.

I'd love to see widespread eagles and other big raptors as well. Also wondering where they are in wicklow. Would have to take a drive.

Fuzzy-raptor.gifagain i couldnt resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I'd like the Finnish Lapphund to be introduced cause they are such a nice lookin dog
    Yutori_Lapphunds.jpg

or the St.John's water dog(too bad they are extinct!
    250px-St_Johns_dog.jpg

those are a fine looking breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sadly I can not see egales being successfully re-introduced to Ireland - look what happend to the poor red kites :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

The reintroduction of Eagles and Kites to Ireland isn't an experiment. Alot of research has been done and they would not be released if it was thought they would not be successful. So far 2 kites have died out of the 30 released, that is considered a sucess. Sure we weren't happy about the shot bird and the one that got poisioned. But things have improved alot since they went extinct over 200 years ago. People now understand the value of these birds and are more tolerant of them. There is nowhere near as much poision being laid now compared to back then. The first golden eagle chick fledged in the wild last year after the first birds were released over 5 years ago. They have been very successful so far. Reintroductions are well planned and researched these days and once they begin they rarely fail. Dumping animals into the wild is not reintroducing. For those that want to see how successful the Kites are, stand on Avoca bridge at dusk and look down river and you will see them flying high, along with Buzzards. The ones with the forked tails are Kites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Seems there is a move at the moment to illegally reintroduce Wild Boar, with them confirmed in Wicklow and Leitrim and talk of them in Kilkenny also..

Penny seriously dropping here...
    I saw the rear end of a fleeing animal that I just couldnt figure out a few months ago. It must have been a wild boar. Unbelievable!

I'm delighted with the eagle and red kite reintroductions.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Penny seriously dropping here...
    I saw the rear end of a fleeing animal that I just couldnt figure out a few months ago. It must have been a wild boar. Unbelievable!

You were lucky then ...you really don't want to see the front end of a charging wild boar (which they are likely to do when they have young)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

peasant wrote: »
    You were lucky then ...you really don't want to see the front end of a charging wild boar (which they are likely to do when they have young)

I'm sure my dogs wouldnt need to see that either.

It was at nighttime and I was driving up the road to my house when I saw this animal. It was bugging me for days as to what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

I want to hear more on this wild boar reintroduction that supposedly happened. I can't find any news on it after a lot of searching. This really interests me and support things like this. Even if it is illegal, that doesnt mean jack sh*t tbh. Wild boar have a rightful place in Ireland and don't deserve to be labeled as an invasive species.

By the way if anyone does have any further info on this, just be sure not to let slip any exact locations of the boar as we don't want the gun toters heading off in their direction for spot of 'fun'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am from a country where Wild Boars roam and I remember many a cold and bright winter nights when they invaded the suburbs and turned over bins in search for food, we kids watched from the safety of the house :D. Yes, they are magnificent but they are also very dangerous especially when they have young. And they multiply quite fast as well :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Hendrix89 wrote: »
    I want to hear more on this wild boar reintroduction that supposedly happened. I can't find any news on it after a lot of searching. This really interests me and support things like this. Even if it is illegal, that doesnt mean jack sh*t tbh. Wild boar have a rightful place in Ireland and don't deserve to be labeled as an invasive species.

By the way if anyone does have any further info on this, just be sure not to let slip any exact locations of the boar as we don't want the gun toters heading off in their direction for spot of 'fun'...

Now who do you think is reintroducing the wild boar then??? TBH you know Jack sh*t about it! Hunters are releasing them, no hunter would dare shoot them till such time as there is a sustainable population, that would be counter productive. But hunters will be busy once a population builds up and will be badly needed. You seem to have some serious issues with hunters from what i've read from you in the past, you need to learn a lot about hunting and ecology before making such sweeping statements.
    It's illegal thats why your finding very little about it, unlikely there was a press release:), but NPWS know about it, thats why action groups were set up.

These animals will cause untold damage. Why do you think it is illegal for people to release animals at will? Look at the problems we have with deer in this country. Think of the diseases that could be brought with Wild Boar that haven't being tested, e.g. foot and mouth:eek:. Think of the effect to the farming economy. We don't have the habitat for wild boar anymore, our forests are mostly conifer, sure they'd survive alright, on farmers crops!
    I'm all for reintroductions but they need to be done professionally and not by people with single agendas or people that think its the right of wild boar to be here, as if the wild boar care.:rolleyes:
    I would love to see all extinct species returned to this country, but we have to be real about it too.

Now who do you think is reintroducing the wild boar then??? TBH you know Jack sh*t about it! Hunters are releasing them, no hunter would dare shoot them till such time as there is a sustainable population, that would be counter productive. But hunters will be busy once a population builds up and will be badly needed.

Next, the same people that illegally "re-introduced" the wild boar will want to "re-introduce" the old German "Saupacker" type of dog ...so that they can hunt for boar as well. :D:D:D

H-Sauhunde-1.jpgH-Sauhunde-2.jpg
    H-Sauhunde-3.jpgH-Sauhunde-4.jpg

H-Hundepanzer-1.jpgH-Hundepanzer-2.jpg

Seems like some people just love stirring sh*t, turning every thread into an anti hunting debate. Peasant, your a moderator, now would that class as baiting?? and No i'm not referring to setting dogs on animals.

TBH, NoNameRanger, the hunters are bringin that onto themselves.

Seriously now, illegally "re-introducing" an animal species into this country that poses a huge economical risk for the farming community just so that they may hunt it at a later date, that really takes the biscuit :mad:

All that talk from hunters about how they are an integrated part of rural life ... well, let's see what the affected farmers say when a pack of sows ploughs under a whole crop in one night or if some disease breaks out in farming stocks.

Those idiots that brought the boar in need the book thrown at them, my "sh*t-stirring" should be the least of their worries.

Yes, the problem is you seem to be putting all hunters under the one banner. Some fools have got together and done this and yes it was a very stupid move. But it doesn't mean that every other hunter should suffer that mistake. If that was the case it would be so easy, all i'd have to do is prosecute every hunter.
    I work with hunters every day and they are not bad people, they do a service for farmers and thats the truth of it and of course they enjoy it, it's only natural they would enjoy it.
    But like in all walks of life there are some serious bad apples among them too, those that exploit it and who don't care about conservation and will kill for the sake of killing. It needs to be understood that hunting is needed in our countryside to maintain it.
    It's like saying all limerick city people are scum because of the few bad apples that make the news, it's just not correct!

• Advertisement

You are of course correct in what you're saying there.

You must also understand that I have no objection to hunting in general, as long as it's done properly and correctly.

But idiocy like that just makes my blood boil and there really is no defence for it.

Advertisement