Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Re-introduction

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

lol this is starting to turn into a pro/anti hunting thread!!!:eek:
    nonameranger, you are right in saying they'll be destructive. if hunters are doing it(illega re-intro),they're being really stupid.

again,this is fantasy thread,what would you "in a perfect world like to see in ireland".

to get back on topic, i'd love love to see alot more otters around.
    thats a serious one, now dor a fantasy one :D

freshwater_plesiosaur_l.jpg
    lol freshwater plesiosaur. can just imagine people freaking out up at blessinton lakes muhahahhaaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

peasant wrote: »
    You are of course correct in what you're saying there.

You must also understand that I have no objection to hunting in general, as long as it's done properly and correctly.

But idiocy like that just makes my blood boil and there really is no defence for it.

It pisses me off when people abuse hunting and bring it into disrepute. I see it everyday of the week but i don't allow it to tarnish my view of any other hunters and i don't get personal about it with anybody. I don't ever think i will find the people that did the damage on this forum and therefore i will achieve nothing by attacking the guys here, who for the most part i see as being very genuine about what they are doing and i support them when they are right and have no problem saying when they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nerin
    I think you will find that there are quite a few otters about. I've seen about five of them in the last three years without ever looking for them or going out of my way ...just walking the dogs or sea fishing.

Peasant
    where is that?thats great news, lovely little fellows. we had a few were i live when i was a baby, but pollution in the rivers got rid of them, but the place as been cleaned up in the last few years and there have been people saying they could make a comeback now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

nerin wrote: »
    Peasant
    where is that?thats great news, lovely little fellows. we had a few were i live when i was a baby, but pollution in the rivers got rid of them, but the place as been cleaned up in the last few years and there have been people saying they could make a comeback now.

I saw an otter two weeks ago near Glendalough. I agree that they are lovely.

• Advertisement

i live at the bottom of the mountains ;)
    hope the little guys do return around my place, i've seen them a bit further away and just love them.
    the land around us has a lot of potential for alot of wildlife.
    the deer have been around alot the last few years.
    the pheasant population seems to be very stable here too,no matter where i walk i usually come across one

Peasant
    where is that?

That's in and around Sligo bay, where they alternate between the sea and local rivers.

i live at the bottom of the mountains ;)
    hope the little guys do return around my place, i've seen them a bit further away and just love them.

I'm sure they will. They are quite shy, I was surprised to see that otter when out walking my dogs.
    the land around us has a lot of potential for alot of wildlife.
    the deer have been around alot the last few years.
    the pheasant population seems to be very stable here too,no matter where i walk i usually come across one

Too many deer around imo. The pheasants could possibly be there as a result of shooting syndicates releasing them. Theres a lot of that in the area.

I have pheasants quite regularly traipsing through my front "garden", hens with chicks and all ...

They use it as a shortcut to get to one field from another.

They don't dare go round the back ...that's where the dogs are. So they literally walk past my front door.

we had venison on saturday evening stepdads friend gave us it,my mam cooked it perfectly, so thats one less deer for you to worry about ;)
    theres usually 1 female and 1 calf every year that comes down here, wonder if its the same female that uses our place...
    there was a huge old male,very impressive to see him.

• Advertisement

we had venison on saturday evening stepdads friend gave us it,my mam cooked it perfectly, so thats one less deer for you to worry about ;).

:D

I'm actually a nervous wreck letting one of my dogs (saluki x) off the leash as he is very deer oriented and they seem to be everywhere nowadays.... my other dog broke his leg chasing one last February.

haha peasant thats brilliant, my mother told me about a female pheasant we used to have living in the back of our garden when i was a baby. sad her and the chicks would come near enough the back door and all hahaha
    anyone know if peacocks are successful in the wild, i doubt it although when i was 12 my friend brought me up to an old ruined shed and there were several peacocks/hens living there, supposedly they had come here from an estate a mile away that used to keep them.

What's even funnier is that our cats are scared stiff !

Whenever they see pheasants approching, they come running inside...must have had a run in with them once.

i remember just after we got my cat Oz, there was terrible commotion in the garden,and when we went out he was dragging a young male pheasant twice his size into the garden by his neck. That cat of mine can be vicious.

just saw this, if only it was real :

worlds_biggest_dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have only seen two otters in my life. However, I had a baby seal actually surf beside me on a wave I was riding on a long board. Amazing, really curious little dude surfing the wave looking up at me.

damned double post.
    Seal surfing?! i love it!

070319_xianglong_02.jpg

although i'd prefer this if it was real :D

119691wCeb_w.jpg

one of these

image?id=9427&rendTypeId=4

one of these
    image?id=65491&rendTypeId=4

and one of these

giant-ground-sloth-extinct-megatherium-museum-quality-plastic-f871.jpg

i bet you're all happy im not god :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

i remember just after we got my cat Oz, there was terrible commotion in the garden,and when we went out he was dragging a young male pheasant twice his size into the garden by his neck. That cat of mine can be vicious.

Ha! A bird is nothing. My cat JD brought home a Rottie pup a few years back. He liberated it from inside the house of a nearby stud farm (opened two doors - caught on cctv) and bullied it back to our house, across 3 fields. The pitiful puppy screams alerted us and we came out to find a 5 month old Rottie puppy cowering on the back doorstep being belted by the cat if he so much as looked like he was planning to move.

The cat stealing the pedigree puppy was the talk of the neighbourhood for months afterwards. That dog was petrified of cats for his entire lifetime.

I think JD should be cloned and introduced to the wild :D That'd deal with the wild boar problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A 5 month old dog? That'd be almost as big as it's ever going to get, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

irish elk would rock

Capercaille? too small.
    now this Moa :D:D

Dinornis1387.jpgMoa-Wellington-Museum-NZ.jpg

The Moa was never in Ireland. It couldn't have been further from here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'd like to see more red squirrells and dragons.

Have to supervise the pesky greys and make sure they take their contraceptive pills so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

A 5 month old dog? That'd be almost as big as it's ever going to get, no?

No - he was about half grown at that stage :) They grow up and then out.
    WindSock wrote: »
    I'd like to see more red squirrells and dragons.

These ones are kinda red

Ah, never had a dog as bulky as a rottweiller, but any I've had would be about fully grown at five months, very little puppy left in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

As mentioned by an earlier poster, would love to see the capercallie reintroduced. As he said himself though, not enough habitat. The bittern is a real possibility though. Bord na Mona currenly have three options for their cutaway bogs; forestry, agricultural grasslands and wilderness areas. These wilderness areas (imo the Lough Boora Parklands are one of the most interesting wildlife areas in the country) will have lakes that will have reed beds (nesting habitat for bitterns). with our bogs reaching the end of their lives, these wilderness areas will (hopefully) become more common and maybe the bittern will recolonise naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

The snakes St.Paddy Kicked out!

Advertisement