Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Develope A Website, anyone ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

dublindude wrote: »
    Jobs.ie was bought for at least 3.5 million. Do you think it mattered whether they used CSS or tables? No, it didn't matter whatsoever.

Your absolutely right 99% of the end users using a site dont care if you used tables or css. However as the developer you should. If a site was bought for over 3 million Its fair to say that he had a lot of users and pages.

The thought of trying to maintain a large site that was built with tables and font tags is unthinkable.

Im not saying that tables are all bad. Far from it they are perfect for formating forms and other pages that require a lot of alignment of a large amount of elements. But its important to know which tool is correct for which job. General rule of thumb is that all style information comes for the css sheet and as much layout is done using css.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

dublindude wrote: »
    Jobs.ie was bought for at least 3.5 million. Do you think it mattered whether they used CSS or tables? No, it didn't matter whatsoever.

Yeah, MyHome.ie was bought for 50 million. The point being that ignorance is costly. You're not a coder, despite what you think. Nor are you a Web advocate. Please stop posting irresponsible posts. Kthxbai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Laslo wrote: »
    You're not a coder, despite what you think.

How can you possibly make a statement about someone you don't know?

How is a programmer not a coder?

I hate to break it to you but typing up a CSS document is not coding!
    Laslo wrote: »
    Nor are you a Web advocate. Please stop posting irresponsible posts. Kthxbai

:confused:

Irresponsible? How?

As I have already stated, there are a number of ways to design websites. I would agree the strict use of CSS is the best route, but it's not the only route.

Laslo I don't know if you're aware but the tone of your posts (throughout boards.ie, not just to me) are quite bitter/angry. I don't know if it's just your writing style or some other issue at work...

Disagreeing with someone is fine, but your posts are generally quite offensive.
    ChRoMe wrote:
    Your absolutely right 99% of the end users using a site dont care if you used tables or css. However as the developer you should.

Again, if (at least) 99% of users don't care, then it's just not that important. The CONTENT is what matters, not whether a font tag was used or not.
    ChRoMe wrote:
    The thought of trying to maintain a large site that was built with tables and font tags is unthinkable.

How? Why?

Jobs.ie was built with tables and font tags. It's one of the most popular websites in Ireland. It has never caused them any problems...
    ChRoMe wrote:
    Im not saying that tables are all bad. Far from it they are perfect for formating forms and other pages that require a lot of alignment of a large amount of elements. But its important to know which tool is correct for which job. General rule of thumb is that all style information comes for the css sheet and as much layout is done using css.

I agree. But if some of the style information does not come from the CSS, yet the site still displays perfectly, then it's a non-issue.

Advertisement