Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended equipment

• 01-02-2008 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

have NO riding equipment at all and after reading the falls thread I would rather fancy a back protector. Any other essentials I should get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yes a back protector is a great investment and it can save you a lot if you have a fall. Just spend money on a good one there are different levels and the purple label one is level 3 i think it is reccommended for x country etc. You would expect to pay anything up to 200euro depends on your size- if you are on the small side you could get a childrens large or an adult small but if you are a large- xtra large adult anything up to 200e but i must say it is worth it. You have 2 arms to legs but only one spine which works all the other parts so look after it thats the way i think of it.!!

Its only preference then to what you buy after that as how often you ride and if you would like your own riding hat.
    Then it depends if you would like the Jockey skull cap or the peaked velvet riding helmet- It all depends.
    I love the jockey skull caps as i have got great millage (literally!!) out of mine over the years

They would be the two major things i would invest in-
    After that a pair of boots with a heel and a pair of chaps or a pair of riding boots.
    you can always pick up a pair of jodhpurs along the way if you need them !There are so many shops now with great deals compared to years ago!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭McSween

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/products/riding_wear/safetywear/body_protectors/index.html

how about these, would they be decent quality?

thanks for helpful responses aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yea the Jack Ellis are a good make have one myself and that particular one on that site is a level 3 puple label so you cant go too far wrong there .
    Its just about getting the right size now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

monflat wrote: »
    I love the jockey skull caps as i have got great millage (literally!!) out of mine over the years
    !

They say these days that you should replace your hat every two years and after every blow (either from a fall or even by dropping it) as each blow to the hat damages its' protective shock absorbing properties.

I think its very important to spend money on a good well-fitting hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If your starting off then I don't a back protector will be essential, they can be quite awkward if they don't fit properly.

With hats your better off to go into a tack shop and try a number on.

If you want to get something I would go with jodphur boots (short ones) and half chaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

If your starting off then I don't a back protector will be essential, they can be quite awkward if they don't fit properly.

With hats your better off to go into a tack shop and try a number on.

If you want to get something I would go with jodphur boots (short ones) and half chaps.

I would have to disagree with the above statement. Sorry:)

Please invest in:

1.A body protector!. You can get ones that do not restrict you.
    2. A skull cap preferably. And Fits advice is very good. Always change it after a fall.
    3. Proper boots with a heel so your feet don't slip throught your stirrups.

Enjoy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

rodney powell back protectors are the best you can get, they come in a huge range of sizes aswell, much more than the jack ellis ones.

i have one but it just gathers dust as i don't do much cross country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

1) Hat first - fit it in a shop as even the same size can feel different on your head.
    2) boots - as its important that if you do fall, your feet will come out of the stirrups.
    3) If you are moving on and jumping XC then I'd go for the back protector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

Yes. Hat is number one priority and it must be correct fit.
    Boots also high on list. If you get your own tack, also make sure that stirrups are the right size.
    Back protector also good idea, though I must admit I hate wearing one and will only do so when I have to.
    I also always wear leather gloves. I never ride, lead, lunge or load without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If your just starting out than a back protector won't be essential, only really need one when you start cross country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Ive been riding for 16 years and never got a back protector, had a horse fall on my back once going down a drop in cross country but was fine. Probably a bit risky and dumb but i really cant stand the things! I really dont like riding without my own hat (so much more comfy and reassuring than some borrowed one you know who sweated in it and fell in it), long boots, jodphurs, crop and suade gloves. I think it throws my riding off if i dont have the kit on, especially the long boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

I definitely think hat first, boots second and then all everything else.
    When you are starting out a backprotector is not as essential, maybe when you progress more and certainly if you then move on to Xcountry, then consider it;

Hat first - its the most important piece of equipment. I've been kicked in the head a couple of times and each time I got up fine.

But for gods sake make sure whenever you are on the horse that you have your hat on and fastenend. My sister used to open it when she was finished and warming the horse down - she ended up in a coma for three weeks when he bucked one day.

Back protectors are also good - mine was like a flakjacket so I only ever wore it xcountry, however they are much better now and if I was still riding, I would probably wear one more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

First and foremost I'd buy a skull cap - absolutely VITAL! Just make sure it fits properly and doesn't move if you shake/nod on your head.

Secondly, go for proper riding boots. As was mentioned above, jodhpur boots and half chaps would be my preference, too. It gives your ankle plenty of movement (which isn't afforded by rubber riding boots - leather ones are grand, though) as well as protecting your legs from nasty pinches from the stirrup leathers!)

If you're not jumping much, then there's no real need for a back protector, although I know lots of people who wouldn't attempt to get up on a horse without one). I don't tend to wear one except when schooling young horses, doing cross county, riding gallops and racing.

If you are thinking about getting a back protector, make sure it's not too heavy or thick, otherwise you'll be exhausted before you even get up on a horse! They also tend to be to rigid and dont' allow you move naturally. The back protectors designed for jockeys are lightweight, flexible, have shoulder pads and are excellent. However, they do come at quite a price. I think I paid about €200 for mine, and that was about 3 years ago. I know they're generally not recommended for cross country, but I've used mine eventing and hunter trialing and never had any problems. They work well as shock absorbers and protection from bruises, etc. I think they also come in level 3, so have a look at those.

The people in a tack shop should advise you. There's one in Kilcullen which I found to be really good. I think I tried on about 6 helmets before they were happy with the fitting! Same with back protectors.

Advertisement