Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone complete every Final Fantasy?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 11:56pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

I've played and completed Final Fantasy 7-9, almost finished all of Final Fantasy Tactic, but haven't really played any of the others.

I'm thinking of playing through 1-6 and wondering about some advice, specifally, how long would this all take me?

I mean, have the NES versions stood the test of time of would they be an absolture chore to play through?

I think Id need dedication, but I'd imagine there'd be a huge sense of achievement getting through all of the first 6 Final Fantasy games.

(Probably go into a hysteric fit however, any time "Random Battle" is mentioned)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder what would happen if someone jumped out in front of you? You'd probably hear the battle music, pull out a massive sword and chop their head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Harry_Potter_Co

i've played and completed from V to XII... wouldnt mind playin the first five...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Good luck trying to work out the numbering sequence of the early ones...always wrecks my head that.

Oh and avoid Final Fantasy Mystic Quest at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Completed VII-X, but there was a gap of about 3 years between getting to the end and actually finishing it with VII. I have the notorious habit of getting to the end of these games and not being able to go through with completing them - I just can't let them end :D Except for XII, I flung that across the room in disgust after twelve hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

You can be sure that Retrogamer has completed all of them (i'm actually surprised he hasnt posted yet!). I've cleared 7-8-9-10-12 and am currently playing 6 on the gba. Do you know that they have re-released 1 and 2 on the psp in high def?! They look amazing. They're next for me. Check the link:
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpagesscreens/937909.asp?screenid=2
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpagesscreens/937910.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I've cleared 1 through 10 and I've finished 12 as well. It was quite satisfying but it was also spread over a number of years as I happened to get my hands on the games, rather than being a concentrated effort.

1, 2 and 3 are obviously the most basic of the series. I played them as GBA Dawn of Souls and the DS remake respectively. They are difficult, old school, level grinding rpgs with very little plot so as long as you understand that and are ok with it, you should be fine. Having said that FF2 did test my patience with it's very bad system for "levelling up" the characters and is definitely the most chore-like game in the series. None of these games are that long as far as I can remember, I think my completion time for each of them was no more than 2 hours.

4, 5, 6 are a step up again, with more plot and better characters in each. I played these on the PS1 but you would probably be better off with the GBA versions (or waiting for the DS remakes) because the loading times did my head in. FF4 and FF5 are both reasonably old school in terms of characters and challenge, while FF6 is a lot closer to the 7-9 era of games in many ways. Timewise FF4 will probably take you around 20 hours but from what I can remember FF5 and especially FF6 are longer than that, maybe pushing up to 40 hours.

That's all based on my recollection of playing them and I'm sure others will have differing opinions on some of it but hopefully it'll be of some use. At the very least I'd recommend you check out FF6, but it's worth giving them all a shot and making up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

I've done IV-XII. Don't see much point in playing the first 3...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just played Final Fantasy I. Errrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I don't think I could physical bring myself to go through it.
    Might start and 6 instead and work backwards.
    I have the GBA version for my DS but the screen is bloody tiny.

edit: just noticed a poster above said you can complet them in under 2 hours.
    Might try em so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

jayteecork wrote: »
    just noticed a poster above said you can complet them in under 2 hours.
    Might try em so.

That must be a typo!! I'd say he meant 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

IV till the lastest ones...except crystal chronicle's series or those improper instalments :)

the first 3 are simply like a third person view of DragonQuest...i dont think i will ever like em...tried them awhile last time...III in 3D are the best among them of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've finished them all bar FF2 since it has such a terrible levelling up system. All FF games from 1-6 are about 40-50 hours each if you aren't using a frame skip key to speed the game up.

FF1 is a very archaic game and not much fun anymore. Too much grinding is involved.

FF2 actually has a decent storyline but the levelling up system is dreadful and ruins the whole game.

Probably best playing the dawn of souls remake of these two games since they have been made easier although FF2 is still a chore.

FF3 is still fairly old school. Even the DS remake seems like a bit of a chore at times and simplistic.

FFIV is were the series becomes the modern series we now know. It's not complicated but the game is still a heap of fun even today. Well worth playing through.

FFV has a very simple story but the battle system which is improved from FF3 is absolute genius and makes for a truly excellent game.

FFVI You really need to play this game. Definitely the best FF game yet produced. An exceptional game that you really need to play immediately.

I'd recommend an emulator for FFIV-FFVI since the load times as mentioned for the PS1 games are criminal.

And do as monkeyfudge said and avoid Mystic quest for the love of god.

Edit: You haven't played FFX! Rectify that as soon as possible.

Without resorting to wikipedia, wasn't Mystic quest part of the "of mana" series in Japan, or maybe the "romancing saga" series? I know it wasn't a proper FF game, they only said so in the West.
    I played the NES version of FF on the emulator and it's really, really awful.
    Have FFVI for my DS so gonna start playing that on bus every morning. Don't like bringing my DS out with me though, always expecting some scumbag to swipe it when I'm not looking and sprint off with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jayteecork wrote: »
    Without resorting to wikipedia, wasn't Mystic quest part of the "of mana" series in Japan, or maybe the "romancing saga" series? I know it wasn't a proper FF game, they only said so in the West.

The Final Fantasy Legend games on the gamebiy are rebranded mana and romancing saga games. Not worth trying out, FFL1 has been bettered by it's sequels Secret of Mana and Sekein Denetsu 3 (sp? and both games are well worth some time investment) and the romancing saga games are ****ing awful.

As for mystic quest, Square wanted to make a game that would appeal to the western market by adding in zelda type gameplay elements but only created a steaming pile of excrement and annoyed western fans since the wonderful FFV was denied to them and mystic quest was meant to be the replacement.

I used have a mint copy of Secret of Mana for the SNES, complete with map and everything.
    My cousins have it now, I have good mind to pop around and get it back, seeing how much a decent copy goes for on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Finished 7,8,9 and 10. These four, I've totally raped. Materia, GF's, card games, weapons, characters. In fairness though, I was aged 13 - 18.

Have 4,5 and 6 on the playstation. From what I've played, I love the stories and gameplay. Its just the arseways loading times that have thrown me off. If I get them on an emulator I can see myself finishing them.

Never played 1 or 2. TBH they look very outdated. To the point of not being any fun. I do have 3 on the DS, and the only reason I don't really play it is because I dont play my DS at all.

10-2 and 12? I just didn't get into them. I'm sure I'll finish them someday, but I highly doubt I'll invest as much time in them as I did 7 - 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I've completed all from IV onward, never played the NES ones, don't seem to be worth the hassle really.
    I've also finally completed all the 'megabosses' in all games, the Weapons, Shinryu, Penance, Osma etc, took long enough but worth it!
    None of them compare to Yiazmat and Omega in XII though, bloody hell they were nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I've finished III, VI-XII and played IV and V about halfway through...

In my opinion the DS version of III is really fun, I was hooked on it, but it is still a retro game underneath the new graphics. VI was amazing, IV and V were quite fun, but I got stuck at parts in both of them and just never went back to them, this was years ago.

Overall the older games are a lot more difficult... But they're still good games... I wish I could find the GBA remakes and play them again on my DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DionysusReborn

I've completed every one of them apart from 1-3, which i can't find anywhere and 8 which broke at the same time as my ps1

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

finished all from 7 to 10-2
    cant actually believe i made it to the end of 10-2 as it was the biggest pile of tripe i've ever come accross. I remember seeing Yuna sing that annoying f##king song at the start and realising twas unlikely to be good. :mad:

Have 6 and 12 waiting for me at home but don't get back from college much and don't have a playstation up here so i haven't even started them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dbarcari

If you're going to play the older FF's, at least have the decency to play the GBA versions so you can get all the hidden bosses and whatnot.
    That'd be a bigger sense of accomplishment.
    Only FF's I haven't completed are 1&2 because I refuse to play them.
    They annoy me.
    A lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement