Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Technology in Computing

Options
  • 02-02-2008 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I work in IT but I have no higher level education only a crappy PLC course, FAS course & a few industry certificates so I am considering doing a part time course and this caught my eye.

Is anybody doing this course/completed this course or know somebody who is doing it at the moment? If so would you recommend it.

Lastly, it states that candidates will be awarded Bachelor of Technology in Computing, without classification of Dublin Institute of Technology. What does that mean? Is it not a DIT endorsed degree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Hi,

Most, if not all of the computing courses are carried out in kevin street in the school of computing, where i am. Ive never heard of this course before and have no idea why its not run by the school of computing or endorsed by DIT. Id contact the number given.
    Theres other similiar part time courses run by the school of computing, this is the website.

www.comp.dit.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Thanks for the reply, I'll drop them a mail or call them on Monday.

I checked the link that you sent me and I liked the look of the MSc in Computing (Information Technology) part-time course but the entry requirements would be a huge stumbling block.
    Entry Requirements: Honours degree (2.2 grade or higher) in an accepted discipline. Where that discipline does not include computing, the applicant must have an acceptable level of work experience in the IT sector in order to qualify for entry to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Hi Raekwon, I'm was on this course last year in bolton st., i didn't go back this year. tbh i was a little disappointed with it. i had a choice between this and a BSc in computing in Blanch at the start to the semester and i wish i'd done the BSc. DIT seems a bit disorganised to me, and I wasn't hugely impressed with the standard of the lecturers on the course. Out of the 3, 1 was head and shoulders above the other 2, the other 2 were adequate. The cost was about E320 per subject if i remember correctly.
    This is only my personal opinion but i guess a B.Tech is useful aswell. It also kinda depends on where you want to go or where you think your future lies, the BSc would prob be more suitable for management, i think its more business orientated.
    Just my 2 cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Raekwon wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I'll drop them a mail or call them on Monday.

I checked the link that you sent me and I liked the look of the MSc in Computing (Information Technology) part-time course but the entry requirements would be a huge stumbling block.

Is that the DT249 course you talking about? If so the course coordinator is Ciaran O'Leary who you could email about the entry requirements.

www.comp.dit.ie/coleary

I think entry requirements for these part time courses can be a bit of a grey area that are negotiable in a lot of cases, especially for mature students or those with industry experience. They could call you for interview where you could make your case, in general once you show any aptitude for the course your in. Id definitely stick with courses the school of computing offer though if your going to DIT to study computers.

@ DannyBouy: Thanks for replying to my post. From what you have said this course wouldn't really be worth doing. The total fee comes to around €2k+ so I'm sure I could invest in something abit better. As I have mentioned before I have no higher education and I was interested in getting a diploma/degree in IT on a part time basics. I would be interested in a more technical course, rather then management, with a broad range of IT disciplines.

@ strychnine: I was actually looking at the wrong course the last time, I am not a postgraduate so obviously I wouldn't even be considered for the MSc in Computing. The BSc would be more of what I am looking for, but again the entry requirements could be a stumbling block. I sent Ciaran O'Leary an email but I have yet to receive a reply so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm planning on doing that DIT B.Tech course next year and from what I hear the dropout rates are fairly high. Seems a lot of people come in for the first few weeks and if they don't like it then drop out without having paid the fees(DIT are fairly lax when it comes to looking for fees).

I'm nearly finished a 3 year IT cert programme in Bolton St. which feeds into the B.Tech course. Over 30 people started in the first year of our cert course and this year there is about 10 of us. I'm pretty happy with the cert course so far but I would agree that some lecturers are very poor.
    Lastly, it states that candidates will be awarded Bachelor of Technology in Computing, without classification of Dublin Institute of Technology. What does that mean? Is it not a DIT endorsed degree?

I believe this is because the qualification is actually accredited by Trinity or UCD?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Raekwon, I've just started third year of dt249 so let me know if you've any questions.

I believe this is because the qualification is actually accredited by Trinity or UCD?

Seriously? :eek: So you would basically get a Trinity or UCD Bachelor of Technology in Computing degree after doing just two years of this course???
    feylya wrote:
    Raekwon, I've just started third year of dt249 so let me know if you've any questions.

Cheers feylya, btw sorry about hijacking your other thread on DT249.

I was just basically wondering what the course was like in general, ie: does it touch on alot of different subjects, what are the lectures (& lecturers) like and of course are the projects really difficult ;)

It is rather long though. I'm 28 so by the time I would complete this course I would be 32, for some silly reason that worries me because I could be taking too much on too soon especially since I've been away from academic studies for so long (IT certs aside).

As far as I know Trinity do the BSc from the ground up, ie no third level entry requirements but it takes 5 years part time. I had a third level cert in IT (took 3 years part time and that was the reqd standard) before I went on the DT037 course in DIT.
    I think whatever you decide is going to take time unless you can prove extensive experience in the industry ie go straight into the degree level, even then you'd prog have to go tru a fairly intensive interview process.
    I suggest do plenty research into your different options and then make a decision.
    If it was any consolation I was older than you are now when I started the cert course...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I am currently doing a degree in technology with DIT Bolton St on a part time basis. There is one management subject and the rest are IT.
    I completed a Cert course in programming in Bolton St too. Feel free to PM if you want to know anything.

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    I am currently doing a degree in technology with DIT Bolton St on a part time basis. There is one management subject and the rest are IT.
    I completed a Cert course in programming in Bolton St too. Feel free to PM if you want to know anything.

Hi SDoom, not sure if they have changed it since I was there (or if we're talking about the same course...) but the subjects we had were Computer Systems, Graphics and Multimedia, Software Engineering, Management, Intelligent Systems, Quantitative Methods.
    Out of those 6 I'd suggest only Computer Systems, Software Engineering and Intelligent Systems were IT. Graphics, Management and Quantitative methods looked like they were thrown in to fill up the course.
    Hope it goes well for you.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    As far as I know Trinity do the BSc from the ground up, ie no third level entry requirements but it takes 5 years part time. I had a third level cert in IT (took 3 years part time and that was the reqd standard) before I went on the DT037 course in DIT.
    I think whatever you decide is going to take time unless you can prove extensive experience in the industry ie go straight into the degree level, even then you'd prog have to go tru a fairly intensive interview process.
    I suggest do plenty research into your different options and then make a decision.
    If it was any consolation I was older than you are now when I started the cert course...

Yeah one of my mates did 2 years of the Trinity BSc evening course but he dropped out because he found it too tough and he said that the fees were astronomical. He is doing an Open University now instead.

I think if I did do one of the evening courses then I would just probably start from scrath. I haven't studied acedemically for years so I would need to get into a routine again so starting off in the first semester with easier subjects would probably benefit me more in the long run.

I do intend to do alot more research before I make my decision and cheers, knowing that I won't be the oldest dude that ever took this course is of huge consolation ;) I'm actually embarrassed that I brought it up but it was playing on my mind alittle.

SDooM wrote:
    I am currently doing a degree in technology with DIT Bolton St on a part time basis. There is one management subject and the rest are IT. I completed a Cert course in programming in Bolton St too. Feel free to PM if you want to know anything.

PM sent :)

Advertisement