Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just 2 quick questions (regarding BAs in Psychology)

• 02-02-2008 3:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm new here at the psychology forums... Anyway I just have two quick questions...

1) I'm currently in my first year of a BA in psychology in NUI Maynooth. I noticed for example last year when applying that while NUIM's course is three years, Trinity's is four.
    Both seem to have the same accreditations however (PSI BPS), so I was just wondering... are they equal? I'm not gonna be screwed over in 2 years time when I apply for a postgrad right? :confused:

2) Would an Irish BA be sufficient to apply to study in other western countries? And subsequently when I finish up whatever I'm doing, will I have to go through some kind of procedure if I want to be licensed to work in another country (ie, if I want to move to say Spain or France etc, will I have to be approved by their Psychological societies too?).

Thanks very much guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 psych

hey i finished the ba in psychology in nuim last year and it has the exact same accreditation as 4 year courses its just condensed into 3. bit more intense but excellent course!

after your BA you cant automatically work as a psychologist but must do a masters or phd in order to be registered to work as a psychologist. degree in psych is only a stepping stone!

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mc-panda

It carries the same accreditation value. I did my undergrad there too.
    When it comes to postgrads, you'll be fine. Trinity will probably get a look in first because, in fairness, they do cover more material. Also the material they cover is more practical and applied in nature (i.e.: occupational, no Relational Frame Theory).

You'll be fine. Enjoy the course. It's fun. I hope you don't have to compete for your place in second year like I had to. What a horrible system that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Thanks guys :)

Nope mc-panda I don't have to compete :) Lucky me. Good to hear I'll be ok when it comes to postgrads and everything :)

Still unclear about the qualification outside of Ireland though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Marina-anseo2

Hey I'm going into my 1st yr in psychology in nuim and just wondering what the competing for a place in 2nd yr is about?

Advertisement