Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just got a Golf GT!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    98 isn't on sale here. You could use Maxol, which is around 99, but you will get poorer fuel economy. You will lose a little power on 95, but it probably won't be enough for you to lose sleep over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They're all called GT Sports now(140s and 170s)AFAIK. Well wear OP, and of course a very good time to get one of these now, in July you'd be paying €600 a year to tax it and 28 rather than 22.5% VRT, so your one will definitely be a lot more desirable than a post July 08 one when the time comes to getting rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anan1 wrote: »
    98 isn't on sale here. You could use Maxol, which is around 99, but you will get poorer fuel economy. You will lose a little power on 95, but it probably won't be enough for you to lose sleep over.

Isn't Shell V-Power 98 octane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Pacifico wrote: »
    Isn't Shell V-Power 98 octane?

No. In the UK it's 97 octane, over here it's the same 95 octane. It's just a little more refined. Texaco used have a 98 octaine available about 3 years ago, now they have E5 which is supposedly just over 99 octaine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Using Maxol in a BMW 335i for the last 3 months. Sometimes it's more efficient than 95 RON, depends how I drive it but it's never worse anyway. Same price too, you've nothing to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Post up a few more pics will ya? Interior, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Congrats OP, what an amazing present, take care of it and yourself....

This whole thread is dripping with envy and jealousy. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

lightening wrote: »
    This whole thread is dripping with envy and jealousy. Hilarious.

Eh not really in fairness. While i'm happy for the OP n all (As I said previously) he has gotten himself a quickly depreciating asset. Chances are at 18 he doesn't have much driving experience and is probably gonna suffer the odd scuff here and there etc. which will value it less again.

Now, if his parents gave him 40k (or whatever) in cash and he went out and bought a nice 2nd hand car for 10k (that isin't going to lose much value over a year or two) and invested the other 30k and came along and told us his investment has appreciated by a couple of %... THEN i'd be jealous! But then again that's just me, i'd never buy a new car I just couldn't condone losing so much money so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Best of luck with the car, mind it & yourself. Oh, and don't put bloody Lexus lights on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Eh not really in fairness. While i'm happy for the OP n all (As I said previously) he has gotten himself a quickly depreciating asset. Chances are at 18 he doesn't have much driving experience and is probably gonna suffer the odd scuff here and there etc. which will value it less again.

Now, if his parents gave him 40k (or whatever) in cash and he went out and bought a nice 2nd hand car for 10k (that isin't going to lose much value over a year or two) and invested the other 30k and came along and told us his investment has appreciated by a couple of %... THEN i'd be jealous! But then again that's just me, i'd never buy a new car I just couldn't condone losing so much money so fast

I know where you're coming from also. I thought about this before I bought so I wanted a 2ndhand or demo model but they're basically the same price as the new models minus the 8-13week waiting list. One main VW garage in particular could get the basic spec 170bhp model with no tradein and discount for 29700. If you look on carzone most models are selling between 29-31 2ndhand. I ended up paying more for a fully specced one. Worth it too! Also the OP has already had some cars despite his age. It is possible to not have a scratch on your first car you know. Also the interest earned on 40k is minimal. Should be around 1440 after taxes per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

As I said previously

"Eh" in fairness... my post wasn't directed at you directly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

For my 18th birthday my father gave me the keys to his car..................and a watch !

I nearly killed myself that night as I thought I was late for a date and glanced at my watch coming around a wet bend too fast !

Didn't hit anything thankfully despite spinning around several times. I learned my lesson that night to never try to make up time on the road. That was my first and only mishap with cars..............touch wood !

Best of luck OP, the GT is lovely in white, though I cant see the photos, and its a brave colour to order, but getting more popular !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

su_dios wrote: »
    Also the OP has already had some cars despite his age. It is possible to not have a scratch on your first car you know. Also the interest earned on 40k is minimal. Should be around 1440 after taxes per annum.

Yeah but at 18 he cannot have more than 1 years experience on our public roads which is SFA imho. I've been driving 4 years (on the roads) and i'm sure i've got plenty to learn yet. BTW the money thing... I said 'invest' and hope for a positive return, not 'stick it in the bank'
    lightening wrote: »
    "Eh" in fairness... my post wasn't directed at you directly...

Eh, ok like!!!!!!11!!!!!!111111111!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneeleventyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Also the interest earned on 40k is minimal. Should be around 1440 after taxes per annum.

€1440? That is useful all the same!

I'd agree with John. I was faced with the same situation a couple of years ago (although I had only 30k, it was my own, and i was 23 and just out of college). I spent €11k on a car, and the rest I held onto. I have done nothing too exciting with it, but I have a few bob now to put towards a deposit for a house which I will do within the next 12 mths.

I also bought a Ford Capri with some of the balance and it is a silly amout of fun for what it cost (about €1440 incidently!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This would all make perfect sense if his parents had given him their last €40k.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Munurty wrote: »
    Heres a vid of a Gti launch. It must be the same.
    WTF?!?! With a red line that low, that car's a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

JHMEG wrote: »
    WTF?!?! With a red line that low, that car's a diesel.

Imagine having a torque curve all over that rev range. One day.. one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Where did you see the R-line brochure? Have seen bits for sale online but didn't know they were available through dealers yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Where did you see the R-line brochure? Have seen bits for sale online but didn't know they were available through dealers yet?
    WhatCar? did a story on it recently. Apparantly it's not official yet but it is expected that an R-line model will be added to the Tiguan range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Cool pic, i've something similar of mine as the wallpaper on the work computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Nismo any chance you can post a few pics of your car inside and out, im really thinking of getting a Mk5 Golf in white! :)

BTW how is the car these days?

PS. Sorry to bring up an old thread,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

wow lucky man :) , wana swap for a 106 :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Do not midify the car Nismo. You'll only ruin it, and make it impossible to resell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

You wont ruin it with OEM Vag parts, dealers will put them on for you if you want.
    I've seen one TSi 170 with the r32 chrome grill and thought it looked great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Even that might be a bad idea. Save up and buy a GTI in a while.

Advertisement