Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Pipes...should they all be insulated??

Options
  • 02-02-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

We're in a new build and with cold weather Sat 2nd Feb we've no rads working. It was an expensive heating set up and it's so annoying to find that we've no rads (only UF) working at moment. Can we assume it's frozen pipes?
    I know there are pipes in a void that aren't insulated...should they be as standard....any ideas/suggestions please???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Any pipes in a building that contain water and are exposed to an uninsulated area ,must be insulated. Except maybe Hydradare pipe ,which is thick black plastic mains water pipe.

In a standard house ,this is an attic space/extension roof space and under floor areas were there is ventilation from outside.

Gas doesn't freeze as you know ,so gas pipework doesn't have to be insulated.

Edit : Your problem might be a zone valve that hasn't opened. You can manually open them ,if there is an electrical fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

As Brian says, it might be a zone valve. If your UF is working, it is unlikely that the temp in the house went low enough overnight to freeze the pipes - unless they are very exposed and the temp went way below 0 deg.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Thanks guys....pardon my ignorance where but what does a zone valve look like please? I'm afraid our plumber has left us high and dry (and cold!) without any manual or instructions for a heating system that cost us a fortune. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Motorized valves look like this
    Power_Extra_2port.jpg
    http://www.myson.ie/pages/motorisedvalves.htm

They normally have a little lever ,that allows you to manually open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The valves are usually controlled by thermostats on the wall somewhere in each zone. I presume it is not as simple as someone turning down a stat.
    The rads are on a different circuit to the UF, something has closed off that circuit - probably a valve of somekind. It could also be that a circulating pump has failed - or been switched off. Make sure that everything is switched on and all valves are open.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement