Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the problem with wVista?

• 02-02-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

I hear a lot about wVista not being up to scratch these days. Im thinking of getting a new laptop and have ben advised to request wXP and not wVista. Im tempted to try wVista but it seems that it may turn out to be more hassle than its worth. Anyone able to give a quick idea of the common issues that have everyone in such a spin?

Thanks...

Ro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ive been using it since launch , and while it was a dog to start with , all outstanding problems have now been fixed.

The interface is different and some things may be hard to find till you get used to it , but thats about it.
    I wouldnt have recommended it back in march last year , but I would now. As long as the PC has the spec and enough memory ( 2GB ) , I say go for it.

Lots of people are saying stay away from it , but they must be operating on out of date info , it has improved immensely and like I said , I cannot think of one remaining problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

mathias wrote: »
    Ive been using it since launch , and while it was a dog to start with , all outstanding problems have now been fixed.

The interface is different and some things may be hard to find till you get used to it , but thats about it.
    I wouldnt have recommended it back in march last year , but I would now. As long as the PC has the spec and enough memory ( 2GB ) , I say go for it.

Lots of people are saying stay away from it , but they must be operating on out of date info , it has improved immensely and like I said , I cannot think of one remaining problem.

Agreed with the one thing to mention being copying, would like it to be a bit faster, should be fixed in SP1. I've been very happy using it for the past two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

works fine on my machine. no major problems, except there are times when it does not want to come back from sleep/hibernate mode. with suitable hardware, i'd recommend you to go with Vista.

Marty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you get Vista Home the license does not allow you to use an older version.
    if you get Vista Business license you can go back to XP pro.
    driver support is getting better , the only people to blame are the device manufacturers since they have access to beta versions of Vista since 2005

Vista still doesn't work with some VPN solutions, and like every previous version of windows it has less legacy support for old programs than the previous version of windows.

You have to remember XP came out in 2001 and even though it was very similar to the older 2000 it had a lot of getting used to too.

Vista will get better as the corporates start to use it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

old os's NEVER come back into fashion, so your much better off getting used to the newest one asap

and dont worry vista works fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement