Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missleading Advertisement in new Aldi 7 February specials flyer.

Options
  • 02-02-2008 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Aldi are advertising a 1050W petrol Generator for e129 which I am sure is fine for small electrical appliances but in the flyer it shows a guy holding a powerful 1700w demolition hammer (also advertised for e169.99) with the caption, "ideal for power tools!" :confused:http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_4918.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

while both items appear in the same publication they are not shown in the same picture so can not be assumed aldi recommend using a 1700w demolition hammer with the 1050w generator but it might work if you did use them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Meirleach

foggy_lad wrote: »
    while both items appear in the same publication they are not shown in the same picture so can not be assumed aldi recommend using a 1700w demolition hammer with the 1050w generator but it might work if you did use them together?
    Actually they are shown in the same picture, also the generator is not a 1050w generator, that's it's peak output, it's continuous output is 950w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Meirleach wrote: »
    Actually they are shown in the same picture, also the generator is not a 1050w generator, that's it's peak output, it's continuous output is 950w.
    Could this pose a H&S risk or would it just cut out/burn out the genny?.

maybe you could show the picture which shows both the generator and the demolition hammer as i can only see two seperate pictures

maybe you could show the picture which shows both the generator and the demolition hammer as i can only see two seperate pictures
    That's...almost more trouble than it's worth, but I'm not really doing anything right now, give me a few minutes to set up the scanner ;)

Edit: Here you go -aldidq5.th.jpg- See bottom left.

• Advertisement

ah it is from a different scource to what is in your original post? well that is possibly more serious because of the safety aspects alone

ah it is from a different scource to what is in your original post? well that is possibly more serious because of the safety aspects alone
    I'm not the OP, but I believe he was complaining about the flyer, whilst linking to the product on the aldi website, probably due to the lack of a scanner.
    Could this pose a H&S risk or would it just cut out/burn out the genny?.
    I've absolutely no idea what happens when you try to draw more power from a genny than it can put out.

I'm not the OP, but I believe he was complaining about the flyer, whilst linking to the product on the aldi website, probably due to the lack of a scanner.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Interesting the recently had a good deal on a scanner....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

not to state the obvious here but i'm sure there is such thing as a 950w hammer? how you can tell that is a 1700w hammer from that small picture is anyones guess

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    not to state the obvious here but i'm sure there is such thing as a 950w hammer? how you can tell that is a 1700w hammer from that small picture is anyones guess
    This is the hammer - http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_4933.htm
    It's pretty damn hard to see in the low quality scan I made, but they look exactly the same, you should at least be able to make out the powercraft logo on the side of each of them.
    Edit: No idea if you can get a 950w demolition hammer.

Couldn't the hammer run off the generator just not at full power:confused::confused:

Gillo wrote: »
    Couldn't the hammer run off the generator just not at full power:confused::confused:
    I've been googling around to try find out what happens if you do this, but anyway from here - http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/tips/generators.html
    Don't overload the generator.

All generators have a power rating. they should be used only when necessary and only to power a limited number of appliances or equipment.

The total wattage used by the appliances should be less than the output rating of the generator. If you put too many appliances on the generator, it could seriously damage the appliances and electronics. Overloading the generator could also cause fires in the power cord.

So, attaching a 1700w drill to a 950w genny doesn't sound like such a hot idea.

Probably, if you were drilling into a block of butter. :D

Probably if you were drilling into a block of butter. :D

Trying to think of something funny to cover my ignorance in these area's, but it's just not working- someone else make a funny comment on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It is false advertising ,professionals who would know better ,wouldn't use this type of equipment.

A similar hilti costs about 900.

_Brian_ wrote: »
    It is false advertising ,professionals who would know better ,wouldn't use this type of equipment.

A similar hilti costs about 900.

In fairness I really don't think a professional would purchase equipment from Aldi.

In fairness I really don't think a professional would purchase equipment from Aldi.
    Maybe not in electrical stuff, You would be surprised at the amount of qualified tradesmen using Aldi / Lidl hand tools on building sites across the country. I wouldnt blame these guys for the simple reason that tools get ripped off, why risk spending e30 on a well known branded tape measure when you can get one that dose the exact same job in Aldi for e6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Maybe not in electrical stuff, You would be surprised at the amount of qualified tradesmen using Aldi / Lidl hand tools on building sites across the country. I wouldnt blame these guys for the simple reason that tools get ripped off, why risk spending e30 on a well known branded tape measure when you can get one that dose the exact same job in Aldi for e6.

Your bang on there ,I have all the powertools I need anyways. But if I was stuck I'd definetly consider aldi/lidl.

I've bought tools in lidl before ,that were 25% the price of identical stuff in B&Q.

I know for a fact that the percipitating saws and cordless kits that they sell are fine.

From personal experience of powertools ,I've noticed that anything that envolves sawing/cutting wood ,tends to ok from lidl/aldi. As long as the blades are fresh

But with drills and breakers ,it's the design of the mechanics that counts and cheap brands just don't really cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

_Brian_ wrote: »
    It is false advertising
    I don't think so. It doesnt say what power the drill is in the pic. It probably is the same 1700W one, but the descriptions are clear about power, and these photos are just for artistic reasons. If you do not know how to match power devices then you shouldnt really be using power tools! Some times ads will have a disclaimer like "photo for demonstration purposes only"

I am more concerned about the lighting in the brochure, it looks like 6 high pressure sodium 250W lights to me ;)

Pros will get quality tools if they are not going to be nicked. Cheap tools are a false economy, unless it is a one off job or going to be nicked.

The generator is probably fitted with a 5A fuse so should blow if 1700W was being drawn. A good one would have electronics to stop powering it at all.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't think so. It doesnt say what power the drill is in the pic. It probably is the same 1700W one, but the descriptions are clear about power, and these photos are just for artistic reasons. If you do not know how to match power devices then you shouldnt really be using power tools! Some times ads will have a disclaimer like "photo for demonstration purposes only"

I am more concerned about the lighting in the brochure, it looks like 6 high pressure sodium 250W lights to me ;)

Pros will get quality tools if they are not going to be nicked. Cheap tools are a false economy, unless it is a one off job or going to be nicked.

The generator is probably fitted with a 5A fuse so should blow if 1700W was being drawn. A good one would have electronics to stop powering it at all.
    It is misleading, Aldi should have someone holding a tool that is correctly rated under 900w and not the rock breaker if they want to illustrate something. Aldi are taking advantage of ignorance here. There is plenty of DIY heads that would see this illustration and would just go out and buy both of them not having a clue about amps and watts. These same guys would wrap the fuse in silver paper if it blew, at least there is a three year guarantee on the genny, but would that cover fire damage or personal injury if the cables leading to the 1700w rock breaker or sodium lighting melted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It is misleading, Aldi should have someone holding a tool that is correctly rated under 900w and not the rock breaker if they want to illustrate something. Aldi are taking advantage of ignorance here. There is plenty of DIY heads that would see this illustration and would just go out and buy both of them not having a clue about amps and watts. These same guys would wrap the fuse in silver paper if it blew, at least there is a three year guarantee on the genny, but would that cover fire damage or personal injury if the cables leading to the 1700w rock breaker or sodium lighting melted?

If someone is stupid enough to wrap a blown fuse in tin foil, then their own home insurance probably won't even cover them.

The ad is a bit ambiguous at best, but it does not state that the generator will power a 1700W tool. The picture could be of any tool, and Aldi are likely to simply claim that the one in the picture is obviously under 900W, as that's all the generator is capable of. The fact they have a 1700W similar tool in coincidental. Reading the rest of the ad clarifies what can and cannot be done.

Anyone who doesn't understand the difference between 900 and 1700 is either illiterate, or an idiot. Either way, they shouldn't be connecting power tools to generators without help.

jor el wrote: »
    Either way, they shouldn't be connecting power tools to generators without help.
    An electricians job?, Don't bring the unions in on this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

OK folks, apart from the misrepresentation of the product in relation to using it with the power tool and the iffy suggestion that the generator can handle more than it is actually able, could anyone out there tell me if the generastor is any good for casual use?
    I'm not a professional tradesman, or even near it, but if I was looking for a small genny to power up a few bulbs when the electricity went or to run an outside floodlight on the odd occasion, would this be a reliable generator to buy @ €129 if I kept within its 950w capacity or is it liable to fall apart the day after the waranty despite having only used it for a dozen or so? I'm interested in buying it but don't need a heavy duty professional one, Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable advice some one might have

Regards

Here's what looks like the same genny with a different branding but for €165
    http://www.wolf.ie/product.asp?id=001765

OK folks, apart from the misrepresentation of the product in relation to using it with the power tool and the iffy suggestion that the generator can handle more than it is actually able, could anyone out there tell me if the generastor is any good for casual use?
    I'm not a professional tradesman, or even near it, but if I was looking for a small genny to power up a few bulbs when the electricity went or to run an outside floodlight on the odd occasion, would this be a reliable generator to buy @ €129 if I kept within its 950w capacity or is it liable to fall apart the day after the waranty despite having only used it for a dozen or so? I'm interested in buying it but don't need a heavy duty professional one, Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable advice some one might have

Regards

Here's what looks like the same genny with a different branding but for €165
    http://www.wolf.ie/product.asp?id=001765
    I have seen the press offering similar to readers, I would personally avoid a stroker. If you wanted a decent genny you would pay for what you get, ie Honda OHV 4 stroke. There is of course the Honda "Boss" model which should be avoided at all cost.

Advertisement