Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bargain barge?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

thats no bargain in stg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You won't get that spec here, and the vrt rate will drop in July.

Exchange rate is quite favourable at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

The seller certainly knows how to write a good advert.

Quote "The excellent Blue/Black paintwork gleams in the sun"
    Flat dark non metallic blue = doom blue /90 day blue.

Im summary section he talks about the 5 speed gearbox and lovely silver paintwork , obviously pasted from a previous ad.

LOL, noticed that too. It's a copy from a previous eBay advert the seller has listed (they're a dealer in North London, near Stansted).

Mondeo Ghia X's, which also have an excellent spec, are on the higher side of the C5 in terms of price, but may be a more reliable, although not as disctinctive, choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

thats not a bargain - them c5s were reduced by 0000s when new - no - one wants them especialy a high mieage one:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fair enough Mr. Rolleyes ;)

What about a Mazda 6 or the Mondeo then? Equipment levels and CO2 are the main motivations here, hence the reason for the importation...

edit: Some examples: Mazda 6.

Sample Mondeo.

All advice most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

What about a Mazda 6 or the Mondeo then?

3225 km per month.
    don't you think it is beyond what is expected.

Oh yes, those are high mileage ones alright, most of them on the bay in that bracket are probably ex fleet. Upside is, you get a fully stamped service book.

I should probably be clearer, I've done my homework on co2, and those are the ones I've come up with to keep me in the C rate. My OP may have led people to believe I was on the cusp of going for the C5, but I haven't so much as lifted the phone yet :)

What would you recommend from the three, assuming more or less equal mileages and trim levels?

I'm thinking Mondeo myself, for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cars with over 100k miles on the clock are worth a fraction of what ones with "average" (ie up to 12k a year) miles are worth, and will be virtually impossible for you to sell on.

You should maybe go to a car auction: a 4 year old Laguna with average mileage can be had for €4k. Makes that C5 look very bad value for money.

It does indeed. Thanks to all for the food for thought. I won't be touching a Laguna though ;)

I know what I'm doing as regards sussing out a car, and I hadn't considered an auction.

Anyone sourced from a UK auction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

People in this country are scared stiff of high mileage car if its serviced well there's no reason it shouldn't last the test of time. Having said that a C5 wouldn't be my cup of tea. OP have you considered any VAG diesels?

Thinking of the CO2 tbh :)

High mileage doesn't hold a whole lot of fear from me, once the book is stamped and everything checks out.

This car won't be doing a whole lot of work anyway, just weekend use really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Well Bora's CO2 is 149 and the Passat is 159

These fit into both:

Band C (141-155 grams per km) - €290
    Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its a citerreon.... no mater how little you spend on them they come back to eat your pocket. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Buying any Citroen is like buying a computer, they depreciate RAPIDLY (Except for the classic DS if you can get your hands on one)

Happy days.

The Highline TDi (130) is 154g.

I had discounted the veedub tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just becareful, I read recently that alot of flooded damaged cars are finding their way onto ebay and the likes. What looks like a bargin could end up being a money pit. If buying make sure you have it properly checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just becareful, I read recently that alot of flooded damaged cars are finding their way onto ebay and the likes. What looks like a bargin could end up being a money pit. If buying make sure you have it properly checked out.
    A flood damaged Citroen!!!:eek::eek::eek:

/me shudders.

I'm thinking the Mondeo is the best compromise between value and onboard toys right now tbh.

The VW is tasty in highline spec, but lacks some of the extras.
    The C5, well we won't go there, suffice to say I've been swayed by opinion ;)
    3 series is tasty too, but I can't justify the expenditure for a weekend wafter.
    Volvo is out, low spec and unrefined diesel.

What can I say, I'm a tightarse :D

Nice 04 ghia here ( http://www.redbridgediesels.co.uk/current_stock.php )

Page 2, for £5750.

• Advertisement
Advertisement