Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like mother like daughter

Options
  • 02-02-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I constantly get told by relatives how alike I am to my mother....I used to hate it when I was younger (always wanted to be more like my Dad, thought he was the bees knees growing up!) but now I think it's nice that we have the same traits, habits, laugh, sense of humour etc...

How much like your mother are you? Do you see much of yourself in her?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I am my father through and through, my mother is like her mother and my sister is like our mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

mmm... limes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Personality wise I'm definitely more like my mother instead of my father.
    Where as some of my sisters have my fathers traits.
    I like it because I can relate to her really well. On the downside though getting on with my father is a little bit more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I'm very like my mother in a lot of ways, usually in terms of things I would like to change about myself. She gets on my nerves alot with the things she does but in truth I do them too. Its probably why I find them so annoying in the first place. Like her I'm very disorganised, I lose everything, I go on too much, I like hearing the little details about things and am shy with people I don't know that well. I don't really know my father enough to say whether I'm like him at all. Hopefully not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

In many ways I'm like my mother, some of these are very good traits to have others..........well not so good.....but at least I'm aware of this and can work on minimizing them somewhat. In other ways I'm very like my father, again some of these are good some bad. Looks wise I'm totally unlike either of them and very unlike any of my siblings, they're all very dark haired, brown eyes and I'm blond, blue eyes and pretty tall........actually a carbon copy of my grandmother when she was young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Im really a mix of both of them but like my Mother, I am petite.... She is humurous, social and witty and also enjoys chatting to people. I am similar to her in that regard but she is also Monica Geller in the house department, whereas I am clean and tidy but dont mind things being moved around.... Think I am a lot more adventurous and easy going than either of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I know I look like my mother, I'm always told that. I don't know if I act like her though. People always say I'm like my older brother. Certain expressions or hand movements etc and people will say it. To be honest my mam started getting sick when I was 14 and I don't really know if I paid attention to her enough before then to know what she was like. I know she used to keep the house spotless and I'm far from a clean freak! My house is nearly always untidy! :) But when I come to work I'm extremely organised and tend to keep everything tidy so maybe she's rubbed off on me. She had the patience of a saint with kids and loved reading so I got that from her too. She had no temper though, Was very timid and I'm not. I have my fathers temper (I'm assuming it's his, definitely not hers) and I don't tend to get walked over. I know I don't have her sense of humor, I'm very sarcastic, She was sweet.

Oh and she had this thing with saying bye 10 times before hanging up the phone, I had that for most of my teen years! I've gotten over it now thank God! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I don't look like her at all, and personality wise I am a mix of her and my dad, but lifewise mine seems to follow the same path hers did. Very odd indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

ellscurr wrote: »
    I don't look like her at all, and personality wise I am a mix of her and my dad, but lifewise mine seems to follow the same path hers did. Very odd indeed.

I'm always told i look and go on like my late father, have all his mannerisms, temper, bad habits, basically anything i do reminds my family of him which i think is nice if i do, not that its done on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

snyper wrote: »
    I try to avoid images that would place me in my mother.

Crude and unnecessary.... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

I got my mothers looks and my dads personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I look nothing like either of my parents. I reckon I am probably a lot like my mother when she was young. She used to be quiet, withdrawn and shy, which is what I was like and probably still am. She had me at 21 though, which made her a lot more outgoing and assertive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

hhmm... everyone says i'm the image of my mam but i just see my dad when i look in the mirror most of the time but aside from that, Personality wise i think i'm a mix of them both i have my dad's impatience sometimes and funnily enough we have the weirdest little quirky eating habits. i'm very laid back and i can be very honest almost to the point of blunt - dunno who i get that from, my sister is like that too. i have my mam's kinda ditzyness and softy side at times. i'm defo a mix of both!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

I'm a carbon copy of my mother looks wise. The only part of my dad I was given is his awful nose. Mores the pity. All my siblings have piercing blue eyes and fairish hair (after my dad) and I'm dark haired and have really brown eyes(after my mum) Unfortunately thats where the comparison ends as I have mostly my dads personality. very stubborn and its my way or the highway.I feel sorry for my long suffering b/f

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm turning into my mother more each day, it's scary. Especially when you catch yourself saying things you'd swear you never would, i.e.:

'She'll get a chill in her kidneys wearing that'
    'could they not turn the music down in here, I can't hear myself think'
    'isnt the canal flowing today?' :rolleyes:

Aparently I'm stubborn like my dad and mess with the temperature in the car like my dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My Mom and I are very close, and I generally welcome any comparison to her. Most people think we look exactly alike. It's not really true though. She and my other sibling look exactly alike. I mostly look like her - coloring (dark hair, dark eyes) and nose. I would have inherited her figure, except I got a genetic disorder from my Dad which affected the way my joints grew. I got her curves, but it's on a more stretched out frame. The biggest difference is that she's short waisted and I'm long waisted because my spinal cord is elongated due to the extra space between my vertebrae.
    Personality wise, she's a lot more laid back than I am. She'd also rather be behind the scenes than on center stage. But we're both logical, cool under pressure, and like to create a little bit of controversy. We're both creative, but we express that in different ways. She expresses it through her teaching methods, and I'm more the writer, artist, musician. We also keep our emotions to ourselves for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

well as they say around here, kicky mare, kicky foal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have my mother's physical shape but my father's colouring. I am a lot more like my dad in terms of personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

old boy wrote: »
    well as they say around here, kicky mare, kicky foal.

That made me giggle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i lack self confidence, but that is about the only thing we really have in common.
    out of principle, i do my best to *not* be like her. nice person n all. but i would have to kill myself if i had more in common, i dont know how she gets by sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Very similar to my father both personality-wise and looks-wise (having said that he is bald with a beard, while I am not...not yet, anyway, I shall see what joys of appearance my dotage may bring).

I would have one or two traits of my mother (habitual worrier/panicker, a bit shy or quiet in certain situations) but for the most part I would actually strive not to be like her in any way, and that has served me very well to date.

In my teens I had noticed I was picking up some undesireable habits from her (prone to catty comments, being very judgemental, stroppy and demanding, unreasonable-ness, etc etc) and once I realised I was acting a bit like her, it was like a switch flipped in my head and I realised I was reacting to situations in the same fashion she would.
    I became a different person overnight, i.e. my real personality came out once I realised that normal people didn't act like that, and I would shudder to think I could have kept going down that path and turned into my mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jessicad

What's in the cat is in the kitten... end of story!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Jessicad wrote: »
    What's in the cat is in the kitten... end of story!:)

What about nature vs nurture? Is that whole debate closed off now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

I'm not like either of my parents, if anything I'm the opposite but I don't really mind. I like to think I'm me and not a clone of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I posted on this thread yesterday saying that I was like both of them but in different ways. Out of curiosity I asked my boyfriend today if he thought I was like my parents. He said I was very like my mother in many ways but when it came down to someone upsetting someone I cared about my desire to defend (and in some cases be a little vengeful:eek::eek:) them was very like my father and that I thought my actions when doing this were justified. I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or not:confused:
    I was also thinking about how many of us are determined not to turn into our mothers and how horrified we are when we realise that we do in fact have a lot of their traits. I think that as I grow up more and mature and look at my parent's life experiences I can better understand why they both did the things they did and sometimes I find myself thinking that I'd probably end up reacting in a similar way.........some other things though I'd die a thousands times over if I did:o

Advertisement