Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Tap problem

Options
  • 02-02-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭

I'm very untechnical so apologies if I get the phrasing wrong.

Around Christmas, when I turned my kitchen sink tap clockwise to switch it off, it continued to turn past the point where it should have stopped turning, and went back to the maximum amount of water. So I kept turning clockwise until it was back to zero water.
    This happened a few times but I ignored it.
    By mid January it was just about possible to have the water off if I turned the tap to an exact position.
    By now that impossible, I turn it clockwise and the lowest I can get it to is about 2mm width of water, if I turn it any more clockwise then it 'clicks' and goes back to maximum amount of water.

Can anyone explain (in very simple terms) the problem/solution, whether its easy to fix or whether I need to call someone (a plumber I guess).

Cheers
    AJ.

Own house so can't call a landlord.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭TheHamster

Don't know if you have the problem solved by now - just seen the post - but it sounds like the ceramic cartridge in the head has gone
    It is an easy fix - IF you can get the correct cartridge - there are loads of different types.
    Ususally just you just take tap head off, unscrew the complete cartridge and replace. Local plumbers suppliers will possibly be able to identify the cartridge and if you can get a replacement, if not it's a new tap.
    Probably need a plumber if you are totaly non techie as you don't want to flood the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

if if is a bog standard tap it is just as easy to change the tap.
    about 20 europes would cover it .

Advertisement