Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panther loose in the comeraghs...?

• 02-02-2008 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear anything about this? rumour or wha?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Would you believe last night I was driving home from town, and a big black thing ran out infront of the car - it was like a huge black cat! ...It was a fair distance from the Comeraghs tho :confused:

Do ye think there's any point in reporting it to the Guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"or wha?" proberbly - if there is one panther then there will be more and then it would'nt be mystery as there would be many sightings.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It was last seen in Tipperary.. and we all know its a long way to Tipperary!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyone hear anything about this? rumour or wha?

To answer your question - it is true. It was reported in the Daily Mail and was spotted near Waterford and the latest spotting was in Tipperary. The person who spotted it is said to be "reliable" and I believe two business men imported them and this one got loose. (Thats about the best summary I can give from my memory of the article!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Twice in the last 6 months I've seen something that would fit this description. The first time was near the village of Kilmaganny just off the Callan to Carrick road, it ran across the road and jumped over the hedge into the field. It startled me so much I had to pull over. It was the size of a small calf but with a long tail and it definately wasn't a deer, it had the pysique of a greyhound. I remember ringing my dad and telling him I'd seen a big cat and he just laughed, this would have been in about August.

The second time was just beyond the Ormond Stores shop on the Clonmel road to Kilkenny, a large black animal ran across the road around 6pm. I thought at the time it was a labadour but now .... This happened about a month ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I was hoping it was something like this

http://www.chsforever.org/Images/Black%20Panther%202.jpg

I know theyre not the biggest cats in the world but theyd still scare the pish out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

has anyone seen it who is on boards..i wanna go panther hunting now..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

and I wanted to go on to the woods and take pictures now I can't incase I'm eaten alive

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nilim

Newspaper item about this in the Examiner on Monday I think. supposed to be on the Tipp side someplace now.

We should make a team and go and find the panther. i hope they catch it alive whenever they do or is there even anyone looking for it???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

you'd think they'd be people out tracking this, would be some find for anyone that got it

thing is...what is it eating? surely farmers would be reporting dead sheep, cows, chickens etc...there;s loads of sheep around the comeraghs any reporting any dead one;'s?

Cabaal wrote: »
    you'd think they'd be people out tracking this, would be some find for anyone that got it

thing is...what is it eating? surely farmers would be reporting dead sheep, cows, chickens etc...there;s loads of sheep around the comeraghs any reporting any dead one;'s?

Yeah actually that is a very good point, because i have listened to farmers on the radio talking about seeing this creature on their land but none of them have mentioned any herd losses. Seems a bit odd in the case of one farmer who spotted the creature on his farm near the hen coupe hadn't reported one loss. It seems strange that a panther would be able to pass up a free chicken meal. Is it not killing simply because it was bred in captivity?It does have to be eating something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rabbits, badgers etc I presume. Panthers aren't huge in fairness so the odd meal here and there should be ok for it. I reckon we rent a helicopter and go looking. Few beers, few laughs etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's also reports of Puma loose in the mountains, it has been reported to have attacked three sheep so far, keep on the lookout for it :)
    http://www.gumtree.ie/posting_images/21/16778321__1196686606__1__1-f52d95e2277e44206fc5f7c0dff9f1fb.__big__.jpg

The Nal wrote: »
    Rabbits, badgers etc I presume. Panthers aren't huge in fairness so the odd meal here and there should be ok for it. I reckon we rent a helicopter and go looking. Few beers, few laughs etc.

When you up for it, I know a man with a helicopter so we're set :P:rolleyes:;):p:D:)

Cabaal wrote: »
    There's also reports of Puma loose in the mountains, it has been reported to have attacked three sheep so far, keep on the lookout for it :)
    http://www.gumtree.ie/posting_images/21/16778321__1196686606__1__1-f52d95e2277e44206fc5f7c0dff9f1fb.__big__.jpg

Ford PUMA lol...You ledgend fair dues funny out...can we all get in that and go looking for the panther??

stick-dan wrote: »
    Ford PUMA lol...You ledgend fair dues funny out...can we all get in that and go looking for the panther??

yep thats the plan, :p

ok let me know when:)

i'll bring a pantera cd :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

My two sisters saw a black panther while they were out walking in Kilcooly woods near Urlingford a few weeks ago. It just crossed there path, looked at them and carried on into the trees. They were pretty shook up afterwards. The were reluctant to go to the guards for fear of ridicule but decided it was better to report it for safety reasons. They reported it to Urlingford and Thurles stations. There is another report that the cat was seen in the Bord na Mona bog in Littleton village (same locality as Kilcooly).

Kilcooly is a big coilte forested area with a lake, manor house and medieval monestary.

Strange thing is that the Kilcooly manor has a six(?) mile perimeter wall and deer hunting and equastrian activities are regularly held there<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great to see hysteria still alive and well

big foot, yeti, loch ness monster, beast of bodmor(puma as well)
    all just stories to keep us amused and our children scared and as long as we realise that ,well then brilliant

had to laugh at cabals post

• Advertisement
Advertisement