Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pure-Bred Dogs being stolen!

• 02-02-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

This will appeal to anybody out there with a pure-bred dog.

There is an unusally high number of pure-bred dogs being stolen nowadays.They are being stolen by heartless,callous people who want to make a quick buck.

Has anyone here experienced this?

What kind of people steal these dogs(Golden Retrievers and Labradors in particular)?

What measures can be put in place to prevent it?

Your input would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

This happened a friend of mine, her Yorkie was robbed from the house.
    A purebred dog can fetch anything from €250 for your regular Labradors to €2500 for a French Bulldog and this multiplies if the dog is bred from. I have looked at a few greyhound rehoming websites and most warn against leaving the dog unattended in public for ANY period of time as a certain Irish minority group will have them gone like a shot. They did this to my uncle's Staffie and made him pay €200 to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

There are a lot of dogs being stolen and sold at horse fairs.terriers gsds lurchers in fact any breed and a group of people who are callous and deal in horses and scrap and carpets tools .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I have heard of peoples dogs being stolen and then rewards being put up for them and the people who stolen them going for the reward but asking for me... like randsom!

its sick ... but

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6032985.stm

key word... MICROCHIPPING IS A GOOD IDEA!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

In my locality in the last two months EIGHT dogs have gone missing three in the last week! These dogs were not all purebreds and none were found dead. One middleaged lady's dog went missing while she was away and as she lived alone and loved her dog, she is heartbroken.

What the hell is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

Alot of dogs are also wandering (people assume they have been stolen). The pounds are full of purebred dogs (gsds, labs, staffies, boxers, rotties, jrts, collies etc). If the microchip is not registered to the current owner, it is nearly impossible to find the correct owners.

It is not enough to simply have a dog that is microchipped - you must check that the microchip is registered to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JaxMax

As Jules said Microchipping helps.

The DSPCA have certain dates when they go out to shopping centres and will microchip your dog for €5.00 - what a bargain! You can get the dates from their website www.dspca.ie If you happen to have missed the advertised dates then keep checking as they do this every couple of months or so.

Jax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Thanks for that info,but my dogs are already microchipped.Much appreciated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

:eek: Is this all over Ireland? Luckily our dogs are never far away from us. This really is shocking!

It's not shocking at all.

Purebred dogs can cost hundreds or even into the thousands and the amount of them that are let wander. You wouldn't leave a plasma TV outside unattended, and plasma TVs can't multiply!

If a thief can rob 2 Labradors and they have 6 puppies, he can sell them for at least €300 each- and make a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Which is why it is SO important to ask for proof and evidence when buying a dog.

It is also a good tip to put " neutered and microchipped " on your dogs collar ID Tag - won't stop them being stolen but if these people are planning on selling on or breeding from your dog it'll make their life a bit more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

LuckyStar wrote: »

Purebred dogs can cost hundreds or even into the thousands and the amount of them that are let wander. You wouldn't leave a plasma TV outside unattended, and plasma TVs can't multiply!

If a thief can rob 2 Labradors and they have 6 puppies, he can sell them for at least €300 each- and make a fortune.

I LOVE your reply - it's soooo true - people would think more of leaving their TV out than they would a living creature - sums up Ireland quite well

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    I LOVE your reply - it's soooo true - people would think more of leaving their TV out than they would a living creature - sums up Ireland quite well

Far too many also put more thought into their annual holiday than into which dog to get, the "my Labrador grew too big so I don't want him anymore" brigade... but that's another thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I was in a supermarket the other day and the notice board was covered with missing posters for yorkies and one even said the dog had been stolen from their house!!! I feel so sorry for the dogs because these thieves are hardly the types to be looking after them if they steal peoples pets for a living. if I could get me hands on them.......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jenny-walsh

This has been happening for years...around Kilkenny at least...my Gran had pure bread dogs stolen from her back in the 90's and early 00's.
    Mind you, the dogs were strays too, the amount of people who'd drive out the countryside to abandon their dogs was ridiculous, they'd always find their way to my Gran's though, think she gave off an aura or something, they knew they'd get treated well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I was amazed about the amount of dogs that are kept outside here. Why have a dog if they aren't going to be treated as a companion. Our dogs would be well offended if we tried to keep them outside and they seem to be allergic to rain...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I was amazed about the amount of dogs that are kept outside here. Why have a dog if they aren't going to be treated as a companion. Our dogs would be well offended if we tried to keep them outside and they seem to be allergic to rain...;)

Mine are the exact same. Dont even want to pee if its raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

LuckyStar wrote: »

You can't multiply either:D:) 6 puppies x €300= a fortune.
    Hardly??:):):)

You can't multiply either:D:) 6 puppies x €300= a fortune.
    Hardly??:):):)

Would you say no to €1800 if you could get it by doing something that you did not consider to be wrong, or at least something yo would not feel guilty about? :rolleyes: these people wouldn't.

A lot of dogs of any breed or type are being stolen in the west of ireland .If anyone has a dog stolen i would check out horse fairs and horse sales a lot of dogs are sold at these places .A minority group have different dogs at these sales every month .Purebred of any bred terriers Gsds labs etc .They even come to people on the pretence of selling them tools and come back and take the dogs or anything else thats around .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

This is ridiculous & infuriating & happening all over Ireland :mad: :mad: :mad: the people who are heartless enough to do this are exactly the type who would be involved in more serious crimes. also, 1800 quid might not seem that much to some but if theres a number of dogs being bred for selling then criminals are gonna make a small fortune and its a fortune off other ppl's misery :mad: What can really be done about this realistically? I agree that owners must be more respectful & vigilant over a living animal but law enforcement is necessary too, lets not open a debate about the Gardai though I'm not sure how effective their involvement could be! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Serpentine wrote: »
    law enforcement is necessary too, lets not open a debate about the Gardai though I'm not sure how effective their involvement could be! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately where animals are involved, - for welfare anyway, there's hardly any laws to be enforced and nor are those laws strong enough.

Besides that- Firstly if you let your dog wander and it gets stolen- you broke the law for letting it wander in the first place. All the thief has to do is say they took pity on the dog and thought they'd find it a home.

Secondly there are plenty of dogs going around with no ID whatsoever, it is very hard to prove that dog is yours and the thief knows this. Purebred dogs tend to look very similar unless they have markings. Your West Highland/Yorkie/Labrador probably looks very similar to Joe Blogg's dog of the same breed- the thief can just say the dog is his.

Some dogs are changing hands at as little as 30 or 50 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

A woman had her house broken into recently and they took nothing other than her bichon frise puppy. Alot of them will take the dogs and wait for you to offer a reward! :mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Morganna wrote: »
    A lot of dogs of any breed or type are being stolen in the west of ireland .If anyone has a dog stolen i would check out horse fairs and horse sales a lot of dogs are sold at these places .A minority group have different dogs at these sales every month .Purebred of any bred terriers Gsds labs etc .They even come to people on the pretence of selling them tools and come back and take the dogs or anything else thats around .

I'm so afraid of this happening, especially to my neighbours dog, as his owner is out alot, and theres hardly any neighbours around. He has a gorgeous black labrador, I bring for a walk every day with my own girl. I'm so alert if I see a strange car or van around!

Such a pathetic way to make money!

ANIMAL PROTECTION & WELFARE IS A JOKE IN IRELAND-The law is more concerned with THINGS been stolen than ANIMALS

artieanna wrote: »
    I'm so afraid of this happening, especially to my neighbours dog, as his owner is out alot, and theres hardly any neighbours around. He has a gorgeous black labrador, I bring for a walk every day with my own girl. I'm so alert if I see a strange car or van around!

Such a pathetic way to make money!

ANIMAL PROTECTION & WELFARE IS A JOKE IN IRELAND-The law is more concerned with THINGS been stolen than ANIMALS
    I dont think there is any law in the west of ireland !

Advertisement