Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THOMSON ST546 Bridge Mode

Options
  • 02-02-2008 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Hi all

i recently signed upto smart, and just went for the standard modem as i already have a Linksys wrt54gs.

i had BT before so when i connected to smart i left my current hardware in place...zyxel modem bridged to the linksys (PPPoE mode) and all was fine. The old zyxel modem seems to have gone belly up, so i whipped out the smart one (THOMSON ST546) and though i could bridge it to the linksys the same way, but i can't find any setting to set it up as a bridge???

any ideas on this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Hi,

I am looking at the same problem here. I have an airport extreme which I
    want to bridge to.

I downloaded the manual and it refers to setting the bridge mode with the installation cd, which of course Smart didn't supply. Looking for an ISO of that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

this might help....must check it out when i get home....

linkage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You have to register as a partner of that site though and have to be pre approved before you can even download those files :-/ Been looking for them myself as I can't get port forwarding to work for the life of me with the default router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dasko78

Hi, I have been trying for days to configure my Linksys WRT54GS with Thomson st546v6, which is the modem provided by smart telecom, without any success. I have tried to set PPPoE as connection type on the WRT54GS but it is not working. Can anyone help me? Should I set up the Thomson st546v6 as well? I didn't change its default configuration. HELP PLEASE!

i've since moved onto a differant setup, but since u can't setup the st546v6 as a bridge (at least i never could), u need to use the st546v6 as the modem and the linksys as purely a wireless distributer. Setup the st546v6 to authenticate via PPPoE, and act as DHCP server. Get that workig first, make sure u can access the net.
    Then connect one of the st546v6 ports to the "internet" port on the linksys. After this i can't really remember the setting. In the PPPoE dropdown on the linksys u need to select one of the options other than PPPoE, whatever dumbs it down the most i think...bit of trial and error should get u there...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dasko78

Thanks for your reply,
    I can access internet through st546v6 but when I connect it to the Linksys router there is no way that I can make it works. I tried to configure the WRT54GS choosing DHCP and PPPOE and it didn't work. Other options in the drop down menu are static IP, PPTP, L2tp and TELSTRA. Which one should I choose? Linksys support website says that I should choose PPPoE but doesn't seems to be right. With NTL was so easy set up this router I didn't imagine that could have been a nightmare with a DSL connection.
    Any other suggestion?

Only setup PPPoE and DHCP on one of the devices, in this case, the st546v6. As i said, i can't remember which setting on the linksys i selected, to rule out any wireless issues, can you get an IP or connect when plugged into a physical port on the linksys??

Other than that, the only thing i can suggest is, reset the linksys to clear any messing u may have done trying to get it to work, and try each of the options in that dropdown. It did work for me. Sry, the memory isn't what it used to be :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Suggest posting here....

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

Advertisement