Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good moisturisers for eczema

Options
  • 02-02-2008 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

can any recommend a good moisturiser for treatment of eczema.

i have seen a dermatologist this weekend and he gave me samples of the following aveeno, lipikar and oilatum bath formula. has anyone experience of these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Never had it too bad, but e45 alway seems to calm it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

All the brands you mentioned are very good :)

Eurcerin is also another good one! I find i really calms down my eczema. Making small changes such as using unperfumed body washes also help, aveeno and eucerin do nice ones. I also try to manage my eczema with aqueous cream and coal tar lotions like exorex- (only putting it on a night as it's really smelly! Smells like wood preserver... nice :D)

I find stress exacerbates my eczema, maybe you experience the same, no? Maybe your diet could be contributing- some people may dismiss this and say it's a load of crap. Last year I had an intolerance test done and one of the food groups which I had a higher level of intolerance to was dairy and I find when I eliminate or reduce dairy that it has a positive effect on the condition of my skin. Maybe you could check this out too? It's only a suggestion anyway... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Iorana

I manage eczema this way:
    washing - oilatum soap bar (soap without soap);
    face washing - cetaphil cleanser - really makes the skin smooth;
    body lotion - eucerin 10% and pure vaseline on very dried out areas
    face cream - oilatum natural face repair cream - works wonders for the skin

I have been avoiding any steroid. creams, not using even the 1% hydrocortisan and I noticed my skin is stronger now and not so fragile for inflammation. Really try to avoid them.

I am from Poland and protopic is very popular there for treatment of face and neck eczema where you would not normally apply steroid. creams to avoid skin going more and more thin.

But I have the other problem and I can't fight against it: itch, it kills me, even when the skin is nice and smooth I keep scratching myself.
    Any suggestions? Any good antihistamins?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 imagroovybabe

I find the best anti histamine is Piriton. It makes you drowsy and you tend to drift off and sleep and forget about the itching. i am always itching though, only if its really itchy though!!!if its a slight itch my will power stops it, cos i know it will make it worse! But rubbing is technically not itching. My eczema flares up sometimes and i think its artificial ingredients in everything that makes it worse. cocamidopropyl betaine- oh god, its in everything. watch out for it.

Eucerin is great, probably the most kind. iused it for psoriasis for a long time and i never see my psoriasis anymore. E45 burns my skin and im not the only one who has experienced that!! anything with alcohol is also uncomfortable at first. I might try the vaseline as some have suggested as the dryness is the worst...and ive been trying everything to combat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

E45 burns my skin and im not the only one who has experienced that!!

I have found that E45 burns the hell out of my skin too!! I was at a doctor once and said that it contains a substance called Lanolin. Its derived from sheep's wool. I switched to Elave. It doesnt contain Lanolin and its great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I have personally found Oilatum and Eucerin products very good in the past but for most dermatological conditions it really depends on the inidividual. If you have sensitive skin, I would always recommend trialling a new product or brand on the back of your hand a couple of times before using liberally.

I now find Aqueous Cream BP works best

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueous_cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sam09

I find allergenics very good for treating my toddlers eczema. I get it from econatural.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ramo

Hi All,
    Surprising though this may seem, my daughter's playschool teacher brought back some Hawaiian Tropic kids sunblock factor 60+ from the US and so far it is the only sunblock which doesn't irritate my daughter's eczema and has actually given her some relief. I'm trying to find it in Ireland but am having trouble. If anyone knows where it can be bought could you post it here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

askU wrote: »

+1.
    cant fault it! can be used as soap or cream! or both!
    silcocks base is similar.
    olive oil is good for it too if its not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Have you ever tried going to a naturopath? If you do decide to see one, it wouldnt be a bad idea to go to one that is accredited by the CINP - Council of Irish Naturopathic Practitioners, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

askU wrote: »

Yep works great for me, really greasy though which can be annoying. Its always called emulsifying ointment BP when I buy it:
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000923.html

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

Sam09 wrote: »
    I find allergenics very good for treating my toddlers eczema. I get it from econatural.ie

Hi Sam09,

You have a total of two posts on these forums. Both posts recommending the above product from the same website. Would you perhaps like to declare some conflicting interests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Hope this is ok here.

Just saw charlieroot's post above now. He may be onto something. But I can't do anything now that I've moved the thread. I'll leave it up to the mods in here to decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Iorana

I must say that Allergenics is brilliant and helped me to get rid of my eczema.
    With this product I fully understood how much harm did I make to myself by using the paraffin/liquid paraffin products like A.C or S.B or any other standard lotion.

These products only clog the skin and give the illusion of moisture, skin gets lazy and does not product natural oils to moistoraize itself, after years of using the paraffin creams you will discover that your skin needs them more and more and is not able to help itself alone.

For 7 months I have been using organic, natural, paraben and paraffin free products (Allergenics is among the best), beside I use natural oils (mostly almond, avocado and jojoba oil) and I have not had to use a drop of steroids again. My skin is slowly regaining the strength and balance.

I encourage everyone to reconsider the content of own bathroom and what they put on their skin.

I think the above user mentioned the Allergenics twice simply because he was just so enthusiastic about this like me. Don't blame him/her!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I use almond oil and lanolin mix from Boots, about 3 euro for a big tub, only thing that works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

No matter how well a certain product works on one person, there is no guarantee it will work on someone else, so it really is a process of trial and error! My skin is very sensitive, and if I'm trying a new product I can feel it beginning to flare up even before the patches appear.

Aqueous cream did not work for me at all, I used it religiously when my eczema first appeared and it took me a while to realise it was actually making it worse. Also I hate the smell of it - most people don't seem to even notice the smell, maybe I'm just weird. Silcocks base was a little better though. I've heard great things about Aveeno, but it didn't work for me at all.

At the moment, I'm using Nivea Creme Shower Gel (but just a minimum amount!) and Dove Supreme Silk Moisturiser. Funnily enough, I can't use Dove shower gel or Nivea moisturiser - as I said, it's all trial and error. Also I'm drinking LOTS of water and eating a fairly balanced diet. My eczema has pretty much dissappeared now, just a few small patches.

By the way - I've tried a few of the very expensive prescription creams, and in my experience they tend to hide the symptoms, but as soon as you stop using them the eczema comes back. Not much good for a long-term solution, but again that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Sorry to butt in on a eczema post but as a psoriasis suffer i come across lots of products that can be used for eczema. I think using chemical free products is the way to go try the following websites as they work wonders.
    www.ecogalway.com - great soap bars and shampoo bars, packed with aloe vera which is great for skin
    www.indigowild.com - excellent stuff too.

Please give all a chance to work but they do work - Patience

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

I will advise anybody to use "seaweed granules" as i have asvised people who tried everything and they got amazing results""as i did with my daughter"" from the seaweed.
    There are one or two companies in ireland that sell it but not sure of the name.Also the big childrens hospital in london use it:)
    It is 100% natural seaweed but just granules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I found this stuff to be great for my dermatitis-
    http://www.yestocarrots.com/?CategoryID=208

I only need to put the smallest amount on the dry spots around my nose and eyes in the morning and Im fine for the rest of the day.

Think its special offer in boots at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

I really think you should read the information on this page
    http://eczema-natural-healing.com/index.html
    I kept getting tonsilitus and when i finally got them removed 6 years ago I started to have allergic reactions. I got it checked out and realised I had an intolarance to cow's diary and soya. When I stopped eating these products my eczema literally disappeared.

I have been bold for the last while and my eczema has come back with a bang - my skin literally feels like its on fire and I don't think lashing a load of medicated creams on is going to help. I find Vitamin E cream helps and my housemate finds Palmers Cocoa butter helps (although its perfumed its rich enough to moisturise her skin properly.) Also if you cut down on the amount of processed foods you eat you should notice a difference.

How many people have 5 a day? think about it - it makes sense
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

I don't as such have Eczema, but I have recently developed exzema like dry patches on my arms, due to extremely dry skin (due to hypothyroidism). Anyways, my GP suggested Dipro-base, which is a simple emoliant and you rub it into the skin while still wet. Worked an absolute treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

E45 ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i used to have eczema and had to be bathed in liquid parafin,

now i get bouts of it (tops of feet, hands -between the fingers, elbows and knees), never really bad but i find e45 a load of rubbish, oilatum is ok and aqueous cream is great and only 4.16 for a 500g tub, use it all the time, its made by pinewood in co. tipp.

They also do silcocks base which you can use as a soap and they do a great emollient too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SuzieD

Hi,

I'm very late joining this discussion, but if any of you are still encountering problems with eczema, here's a line of organic cotton clothing which uses Silver Soothe. The silver in the clothes relieves itching and many of the clothes include covers for hands and feet to prevent damage from scratching. Many people who've bought these say they or their children are able to sleep at night as a result. I hope it's a useful tip.
    http://www.econatural.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

banjopaul wrote: »
    Yep works great for me, really greasy though which can be annoying. Its always called emulsifying ointment BP when I buy it:
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000923.html

those are different products. aqueous is creamy and emulsifying is pretty solid at room temperature. the ingredients are similar I think its that the proportions differ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eslsys

Hopefully people are still following this thread.

Numerous people have suggested using Aqueous Cream, however research in the UK has shown that Aqueous cream actually makes eczema worse rather than improving the condition.

http://www.eczema.org/aqueous_cream.html

E45 is pretty good for a severe outbreak as it contains Lauromacrogols which has the properties of local anaesthetics helping to soothe and relieve itchy skin. However, I dont believe its great as a moisturiser.

I'm reading more and more that oil based moisturisers are best in the long term, however if the skin has become really dry the oil based moisturiser may be difficult at first as it can irritate the dry skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

banjopaul wrote: »
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000923.html[/QUOTE]

Emulsifying ointment is different to aqueous cream, its far more greasy and really I only use it on my son after his bath at night under his bed clothes. I also use a liquid that you put in the bath and it makes the skin really very soft and also kills any bacteria lurking there, its in a large blue bottle called Emulsiderm and for during the day I use aqueous cream myself under my makeup or diprobase on my sons face. I find this combination really works.

I have been using Aveeno for at least two years. Highly recommended for mild eczema and especially dry skin.
    [IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/2010‑11‑05‑08‑57‑38‑1‑av[/IMG]
    http://www.aveeno.com/
    2010-11-05-08-57-38-1-aveeno-daily-moisturizing-lotion.jpeg&w=300&h=400&ei=IJ1TUJLKLI2HhQfenoH4AQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=113&vpy=201&dur=153&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=139&ty=113&sig=114181033240070020652&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=99&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0,i:120
    2010-11-05-08-57-38-1-aveeno-daily-moisturizing-lotion.jpeg&w=300&h=400&ei=IJ1TUJLKLI2HhQfenoH4AQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=0&sig=114181033240070020652&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=99&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0,i:120&tx=196&ty=544

• Advertisement
Advertisement