Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problem... my car shows as being scrapped

Options
  • 02-02-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey,

any ideas, I have a car that I bought in September 2007, a '00 VW Polo, I have the original tax book and a current NCT cert, however, the car was last taxed in September 2007 and has been off the road since, however, I tried to sell the car and a potential buyer informed me that the car is showing as scrapped on a car checking website :eek:, I went to Cartell.ie, paid my money and the car shows

History Profile

Roadworthiness*
    SCRAPPED VEHICLE DESTROYED
    Date Recorded: 17-Jan-2008 CURRENT

how can this be??, look at the date recorded, 17th of January 2008, the car has been in my possesion since September 2007?

How do I go about taxing the car now, will I be able to tax it now it's showing as being scrapped?

thanks.

Simon

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ring Shannon and see if they can tell you what made them enter your car as scraped, it might be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Contact Cartell to see what they have to say. Could be a mistake on their part. If it is, get them to fix it pronto - and refund you the cost of your car check!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

esel wrote: »
    Contact Cartell to see what they have to say. Could be a mistake on their part. If it is, get them to fix it pronto - and refund you the cost of your car check!

I have sent an email to Shannon to see what they say first, makes you look like a bit of a idiot trying to sell a car and a potential buyer says "hey. this car is showing as scrapped", probably thinking it's a ringer or cloned :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unless it was an insurance write off by a previous owner and the log book was never forewarded, often these cars find themselves back on the road. There is also a box in the registration book telling you if the car is scrapped, this could have been ticked accidently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

just wondering about this service if you pay for it can u only look up one car per payment or can u look us as many as u want??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You know the letter the tax office sends out when the car hasn't been taxed in awhile, is it possible the previous owner got one of them, and ticked scrapped instead of sold?

Plus i'd be on the phone to the offices in Shannon first thing Monday morning, and email might not be answered for weeks.

Senna wrote: »

Plus i'd be on the phone to the offices in Shannon first thing Monday morning, and email might not be answered for weeks.

I will give them a bell on Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

OP - Is it a UK import?

Healyc wrote: »
    OP - Is it a UK import?

no, original Irish car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

This car could be a clone - or could have being cloned - and the other cer could have beien crashed/scrapt - happens quite a lot over in the UK - it ain't hard to get a duplicate log book - check you vin, chassis no and engine no match the logbook - and go to the guards if you have being sold a clone or ringer - the guards should be able to find out what the story is:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have frequently found errors with cartell checks - I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get talking to someone in Shannon! If you are that concerned call into a garda station and ask them if they know how to use the pulse system!

This car could be a clone - or could have being cloned - and the other cer could have beien crashed/scrapt - happens quite a lot over in the UK - it ain't hard to get a duplicate log book - check you vin, chassis no and engine no match the logbook - and go to the guards if you have being sold a clone or ringer - the guards should be able to find out what the story is:confused:

everything is correct about this car, engine number, chassis number, the car is 100% genuine, I will know on Monday when I phone Shannon if they have it down as scrapped or if Cartell got the information wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Big companies make mistakes - I've had problems with Hpi showing the wrong information.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have a car that's down as a 1.5l steam engine... Mistakes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Coming from a kid whose 'project' it was to find bugs in that system I wouldn't get my hopes up... It could be as riddled as an infected cockroach but would take as long as Hitlers reseruction (sp?) to be inspected

Erm.. are the rest of us meant to know some sort of history here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Erm.. are the rest of us meant to know some sort of history here?

Wha? Bah I was drunk I don't even know why I typed that.. think i'll just edit it :o

I contacted Shannon today, they said that they got a letter from an insurance company saying that the car was scrap, Shannon have said that if I go and get a new NCT on the car, then take it to the local motor tax office, they will correct their records :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

CamperMan wrote: »
    I contacted Shannon today, they said that they got a letter from an insurance company saying that the car was scrap, Shannon have said that if I go and get a new NCT on the car, then take it to the local motor tax office, they will correct their records :mad:

Get a copy of the letter (FOI) if needs be, but I'm sure you're entitled to any info about yourself without FOI.

I can't understand that you're expected to remedy a problem like this without recompense or assistance. Data commissioner might be curious.

Does that mean than an insurance write off may be driving around 'legally'?

kbannon wrote: »
    Does that mean than an insurance write off may be driving around 'legally'?
    The car was probably an economic write-off. Someone then repaired it and sold it on.

OP: if you bought the car from a dealer, I'd be looking for my money back at this stage, unless you were told it had been crashed and repaired. Did you have it checked before you bought it? I'd be surprised if the repairs are invisible.Be sure that cartell record is updated too.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

The car was probably an economic write-off. Someone then repaired it and sold it on.
    You are presuming this.
    If it was repaired and sold on then Shannon would have a record of the transfer of ownership. Surely this is more like a typo entered after the OP got the car (Jan 17th possibly).
    If a mix up like this can easily occur for the OP then it is bound to have occured hundreds of times before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"Does that mean than an insurance write off may be driving around 'legally'?"

My thoughts exactly... this could be a real can of worms, and not for the OP either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

OP let us know what happened, hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

uberwolf wrote: »
    I can't understand that you're expected to remedy a problem like this without recompense or assistance. Data commissioner might be curious.

+1

Seems like a bit of a farce and it sucks that OP has to sort it out. Was it a private sale or garage buy? I'd be heading back to the seller and if its not their fault and the record is wrong I'd be keeping a note of my costs for the insurance company which issued the letter to Shannon.

Op, are you in the motor trade yourself?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It may be just a paperwork problem, but I would be more concerned about whether or not your car has actually been damaged in the past !

I would get it checked professionally !

Why are you selling a car that you only bought in September and why havent you used it since ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kbannon wrote: »

Surely this is more like a typo entered after the OP got the car (Jan 17th possibly).

The OP has had the car since Sept 07 and it was only entered as scrap on the 18th

kearnsr wrote: »
    The OP has had the car since Sept 07 and it was only entered as scrap on the 18th
    I know that - thats why I posted it in response to:

Advertisement