Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window VISTA/DELL

• 02-02-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

I bought a Dell running Vista a while back.
    Its running very slowly lately and the system restor feature doesnt seem to be doing the trick.
    Iv ran virus check, disk clean up and defreaged.

On xp there was a feature where by you could restore to factory settings on start up (I think it was control/F11)

Just wondering if theres a similar feature on vista?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Try tapping F8 at startup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Cheers.
    I'll give that a shot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Try uninstalling Vista...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Try tapping F8 at startup.
    Yep, this should bring it up. Does on mine anyway.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Try uninstalling Vista...
    Such useful input......................not

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rkm wrote: »
    Such useful input......................not

Well if it's always been slowly then it actually could be useful input. Seeing as he said it's been running slow lately, I assumed that it hasn't always been this way.

• Advertisement

Doesnt work that way with DELL.
    You dont get a copy of the cd with the operating system.
    Its just a "restore to factory settings" feature that pretty much restores your pc to the time you first booted up.
    At least that was the case with XP.

Im going to try and "F8" vista now and see if that does the same thing. :)

Seeing as he said it's been running slow lately, I assumed that it hasn't always been this way.
    Yes, it did say that, therefore useless to tell him to install xp imo.

rkm wrote: »
    Yes, it did say that, therefore useless to tell him to install xp imo.

Yes but it is very easy to miss things when reading a post. Are you sure you didn't get a vista disk with it? My sister and my mums laptops came with vista disks (both vostros).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was trying to be semi-funny (and failing). I better say sorry before the thread gets dragged off topic in a witch hunt. :eek:

User has done a system restore. So that should have reverted to the previous state where Vista was "fast". Though I've always found system restore to be hit and miss personally. YMMV. I turn off indexing which gets slower over time, turn off system restore, (not for everyone I'll admit) and then turn off the fluff in the GUI. Also you should use process explorer to see whats running, turn off what you can and install any crud gadgets. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx Check that the humour service is running. You might want to kill that one. I'm running XP and Vista on a few machines. XP is still quicker. :p I kinda like the fluff in Vista. SP1 can't come quick enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Control and F11 will give yout the restore options on some dell PC's . On Vista Systems boot to the Vista DVD and you will get an option on the recovery screen to restore factory backup if your computer has a restore partition. http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2b3724d1-f4ad-5b26-16dc-3e9e66f4be5e1033.mspx#EVD Factory Restore is the last option on the restore screen .

Remember that using any of these options will restore you computer to the state it was in when it shipped from the factory therefore YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA YOU HAVE ADDED TO THE COMPUTER.

• Advertisement

Hey folks, I did the F8 on it and it worked a treat.
    My actual pc is flying along. :)
    It would however appear that it wasnt my pc that was a mess but my O2 broadband connection so I guess Im going to have to get onto customer support.
    Thanks for everyones help though. :)

Ouch, a reinstall over a dodgy broadband connection. Damn O2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,941 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

.........you reformatted your machine because your internet was slow.....

Sorry, just savouring that for a moment.

Im not a computer whizz but I still manage to run a small business almost 100% online, as such one of my pc's is basically an expensive internet connection.
    So appologies if my pc knowledge dont come up to your high standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Im not a computer whizz but I still manage to run a small business almost 100% online, as such one of my pc's is basically an expensive internet connection.
    So appologies if my pc knowledge dont come up to your high standards

I think in his own stupid way he was just saying that had you said it was your internet that was slow, as opposed to your whole PC; then we could have saved you from having to reformat your computer with a fresh install. Sucks you had to go through that though mate.

Advertisement