Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the UCD computer system crash on results day?

Options
  • 02-02-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

I remember it did last year and with the 'efficiency' of the IT department its hard to see it not happening again. We could all have bets on when it crashes. Assuming the results are out at 5PM I'd say it will take ten minutes for it to crash.

I'll be amazed if it all goes smoothly.

PS, I hope everyone gets the results they want.

Will the UCD computer system crash on results day? 76 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    88% 67 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    11% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I think it shows the strength of my conviction in this matter that its the first time I'v ever, ever been able to resist an Atari Jaguar option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

How the hell is there 1000002 votes for yes? There is nowhere near that amount of people in UCD. There isn't even that many people on boards and considering the poll has only been up for an hour, all I can say is WTF?

I'd put good money on the system crashing and it'll probably be off until Wednesday or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

There's no doubt in my mind that they'll crash. If anything, I'll be disappointed if they don't - if there's one thing UCD is consistent about (apart from being vague about important matters) it's poor IT service. It'd be nice to see them match the same low standards as the past umpteen years.

With a little bit of luck they can coincide it with another epic Blackboard fiasco too, think of it as a Cup double.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I did'nt think the poll would get 1million votes by now :):):) :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

10,000 students accessing a Commodore 64 is sure to crash it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

How the hell is there 1000002 votes for yes? There is nowhere near that amount of people in UCD. There isn't even that many people on boards and considering the poll has only been up for an hour, all I can say is WTF?
    I couldn't possibly comment. No sirree. Not even a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

They will probably decide that Monday will be the perfect time to upgrade SIS...

Ah the IT department at UCD just gotta love them always full of surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Red Alert wrote: »
    ROFFLE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Red Alert wrote: »
    lol :D Doesn't help that the server is hamster-powered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Last summer they just brought them out at a random time and that worked. I think.

It's **** they have to do it, but just putting them up at an unannounced time on Monday is probably the best way to do it. Either that or get a decent server...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

They should just do the staggered results like they always did before.

Meant no system crashes.

*Sigh* Non modularised is such a nice memory...

I want it back *sits in the corner and sulks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

If they'd put them out over break maybe people would've staggered themselves in accessing them.

Plus we'd know by now. Wouldn't that be lovely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol for the votes...is tat the work of OP?

btw,i am always wondering:why the hell do you want to give a fix date for the result out?i am pretty sure they have most the results by the time they send us the stupid information email...gods bless UCD...
    Umaro wrote: »
    There's no doubt in my mind that they'll crash. If anything, I'll be disappointed if they don't - if there's one thing UCD is consistent about (apart from being vague about important matters) it's poor IT service. It'd be nice to see them match the same low standards as the past umpteen years.

With a little bit of luck they can coincide it with another epic Blackboard fiasco too, think of it as a Cup double.

this is harsh,and unkind...horrible speaking!!!but i like it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Computer says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

moderater can change votes .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

alright!!news!!since some bloody people woke me up in 4.53am,i am bored now and tried to view the result!!it's working now!!

dunno how long will it last tho:)

got a kinda nice result i guess:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Mine are out too, did grand thankfully! Good way to start the day.

Two of my results are us - which is weird after we were told they wouldn't be going up and even stranger that they're grades not percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I did great except in one but I knew that was coming. Dosnt really effect the aul GPA though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Two of my results are us - which is weird after we were told they wouldn't be going up and even stranger that they're grades not percentages.
    Do you really expect what they say to correlate with what happens?

Oh and the system's only half-crashed so far, I'm impressed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Sigh, UCD system fails to crash - one again they disappoint me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Breezer wrote: »

Oh and the system's only half-crashed so far, I'm impressed :D

Trust UCD to do a half arsed job of crashing a server :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Just tried to log in to ucdconnect and got "System is busy. Try again later".

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Anyone else?

Yeah I got that but it refreshed immediately and worked. :)

Breezer wrote: »

Fair point - I wasn't really expecting Half a result though.... I mean I know UCD do things by halves most of the time but this is really by quarter and like grades?? WTF????

Speak English stupid UCD!!!!

Oh and PS. WTF is a B- because my marks and standards say noting about minus' and either do those modularised ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Anyone else?

Yes... so I went straight to SIS: https://sisweb.ucd.ie/ That seems fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

stereoroid wrote: »
    Yes... so I went straight to SIS: https://sisweb.ucd.ie/ That seems fine so far.

?? I was trying to check my email.

There's teh back door way in - search this forum for the link

Connect is working fine for me at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

?? I was trying to check my email.

Sorry - assumed you meant SIS for the results, which is what's liable to crash today. For mail try https://imap.ucd.ie/, or http://elearning.ucd.ie/ for Blackboard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement