Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Primary School

• 02-02-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi All, moving to Kilkenny shortly and we are looking to enrole our son (5yrs old) into a city primary school. We have done a bit of checking and we currently are down to 3 possibles that fit in with our places of work we are looking at: De La Salle- (near mcDonalds), the Gaelscoil in Loughboy or the Scoile Mhuire (near Superquinn).

We would appreciate if anyone had any recommendations based on their experiences with any of these schools. We would like somewhere which would include sport as part of their curriculum and even better if there is after school homework club.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

gael scoil probable the best but it could be hard to get him in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BricanaBarbie

You should consider st.canices primary school..located on granges road..excellent sport and music facilities..has a green flag..If its not in your preferred area then i would say gaelscoil or cbs primary..

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Gaelscoil is very difficult to get into. I have relatives moving back to KK after living in Dublin, and the only way my 8 year old cousin was accepted into the school was because she had attended a Gaelscoil in Dublin.

My brother attended the Presentation Primary/CBS for primary school as it was easier to get him into the CBS secondary (a decision my mother completely regrets).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LINDA08

Hi All, thanks for the feedback, looks like Gaelscoil is a non runner than so that narrows it down a bit. Does anyone have any views on the mixed school (presentation for the first few years) vs. the all boys school (de la salle)?, sorry about all the questions, Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I went to Presentation then the CBS.

• Advertisement

LINDA08 wrote: »
    Hi All, thanks for the feedback, looks like Gaelscoil is a non runner than so that narrows it down a bit. Does anyone have any views on the mixed school (presentation for the first few years) vs. the all boys school (de la salle)?, sorry about all the questions, Thanks again.

Well you kinda have to think about what secondary school you want you son to go to. If you want him to go to the CBS, he gets first preference if he's a CBS primary school pupil. If you want him to go to any other secondary school then it doesnt really matter.

Both CBS and De La Salle have backgrounds in GAA (The KK hurling team manager teaches in DLS) and the CBS regularly win local leagues and the like. The CBS has a good boys choir which, again are well known and the boys are rewarded with a great trip abroad. My brother attended the CBS primary and encountered some problems with 1 teacher and the principal didnt deal with the complaint my mother made.

Thanks again for the feedback, we are going to arrange to visit both schools over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 maninamousesuit

Have you tried the Kilkenny school project. Its a cracking school. MY three lads were there and loved it. Very open minded school. It is secular but has times for all religions. Really into the arts. Two of my lads got in Keirans after they left there without a problem. The third will do the same next year. Principal Miss Nicholson is a great forward thinking woman

Have you tried the Kilkenny school project. Its a cracking school. MY three lads were there and loved it. Very open minded school. It is secular but has times for all religions. Really into the arts. Two of my lads got in Keirans after they left there without a problem. The third will do the same next year. Principal Miss Nicholson is a great forward thinking woman

Thats where I went to school. I hated it. I thought it was awful. Maybe its changed since I was there, but back in the 90's it was probably the worst primary school in town. We spent more time learning how to appreciate other peoples religions and traditions, than doing maths or english.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

My 2 are there at the moment.. have to say we love the school, kids are so happy there and there's a great mix of people in the school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carlowmedic

We are new to KK education. We moved our 6 year old into presentation from a UK based curriculum. We thought ethos, care and learning were excellent.

A strong emphasis on PE, music and art in addition to reading etc. We had moved from a highly rated school in belfast and this curriculum was much more childcentered.

We had also applied to most of the other schools and got a frosty reception as most are oversubscribed and really would prefer not to have to take on additional kids.

Thanks again for the continous feedback. We have made a few more enquiries since and it is looking like the Presentation and then onto the CBS. From what we gather the CBS has a large amount of extra curricular activities which is exactly what we were looking for and I like the idea of having interaction with both girls and boys for the first few years.

Thanks

Linda:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I went to the CBS school when I was a kid, got on fine there. The building was a bit dilapidated (rising damp on walls, flaking paint, etc) but its been 13-14 years since I was there so I've no idea what its like now.
    Wasn't so happy in the CBS secondary school though.

Advertisement