Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's Korean here?

Options
  • 02-02-2008 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I'm one of those crazy hapa kolea kine as they'd say in Hawaii but I was born on the mainland. How about you? Born, bred, raised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

kitt13 wrote: »
    I'm one of those crazy hapa kolea kine as they'd say in Hawaii but I was born on the mainland. How about you? Born, bred, raised?

Oh Hawaii, sounds fantastic!
    Aloha~!<-- This is only a word I know about Hawaii.
    I wish I can get a good chance to visit there some day.
    The mainland of US is tooo big.
    What states are you from in detail?
    Are you currently in US or in Ireland?
    Are you an American who loves Korea?
    Sorry for the bunch of questions.:D

I think I am only a Korean here.
    I was born in S.Korea, lived in S.Korea over 30yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kitt13

Hapa kolea means half Korean in Hawaiian. I was born and raised in the US but through personal circumstances found myself in Ireland where I still am today. Grew up in the Midwest in a house with a rice cooker, lots of kim chee and Pepsi, Korean and English both spoken and shoes came off at the door! I think you get the picture. My spoken Korean is very poor but I understand it okay so if you talk to me in Korean, I will respond in English. Bad, I know. (When I was growing up there was an emphasis on "English only" in bilingual households.)

My mom was born and raised in Seoul and went to Yonsei University. (Or was it Ewa?) She moved to the US in 1971 and has been there ever since.

What brought you to Ireland?

kitt13 wrote: »
    Hapa kolea means half Korean in Hawaiian. I was born and raised in the US but through personal circumstances found myself in Ireland where I still am today. Grew up in the Midwest in a house with a rice cooker, lots of kim chee and Pepsi, Korean and English both spoken and shoes came off at the door! I think you get the picture. My spoken Korean is very poor but I understand it okay so if you talk to me in Korean, I will respond in English. Bad, I know. (When I was growing up there was an emphasis on "English only" in bilingual households.)

My mom was born and raised in Seoul and went to Yonsei University. (Or was it Ewa?) She moved to the US in 1971 and has been there ever since.

What brought you to Ireland?

아..이민을 가신거군요?:) 저야 아무리 아일랜드에 산다고 하더라도
    어렸을때 온게 아니기 때문에 제게는 영어보다는 한국말이 훨 편해요:)
    미국에서 나신거면 한국말을 평소에 쓰기 힘들었을거고
    또 모든 생활을 영어로 하다보면 한국말 잘 못하는건 당연한거 같아요.
    한국에 있을때 한국계 미국인으로 혼혈인인 Daniel Heny 이었던가?
    그 사람이 삼순이 드라마에 출연한적 있었는데, 역시나 한국말 거의 못하더군요.
    인터뷰도 모두 영어로 했던게 기억에 남네요:)

저도 아일랜드에 있지만, 아직도 한식 없으면 견디기 힘들어요.:D
    전 아일랜드에 4년전에 오게 되었어요. 국제결혼 케이스에요.
    어차피 영어공부는 더 해야 하니까 영어로 답해주세요:D

참..그리고 한국 다음카페에(Korean Internet site, Daum) 미국이민자들의
    모임이 있어요. 저 거기 회원이에요.:D 거기는 이민 1세대부터 시작해서
    많은 수는 아니지만, 약 70여명의 회원들이 같이 고국의 향수를 달래고
    같이 커뮤니티를 형성해서 좋은 인연을 가꿔나가는 곳이랍니다.
    만나서 반갑습니다.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 seeshell

cool! well looks like im not the only korean as i thought :)

was born in korea and moved to france about 7 years ago and will move to ireland in a few months! its a family trait, we all like to move around hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Welcome Seeshell. Can you speak Korean? Which language is your mother tongue do you think? I'm 100% Irish and moved to Korea many years ago. I can't speak much Korean.

• Advertisement

seeshell wrote: »
    cool! well looks like im not the only korean as i thought :)

was born in korea and moved to france about 7 years ago and will move to ireland in a few months! its a family trait, we all like to move around hehe

wow! That's fantastic that you speak 3 languages!! I wish I could.:(
    It's hard enough to speak in English to me. haha
    But I learned very basic French when I was in the high school in Korea.
    So I want to say,"Enchanté" :)

When you arrive to Ireland, just let me know. I will say,"Welcome to Ireland":D

I'm 100% Irish and moved to Korea many years ago. I can't speak much Korean.

If you don't understand my Korean, just let me know.
    I'll try to write in English too.
    But please don't expect that my English is good. :D
    Do you teach English in the university in Korea?
    Can I ask what university you belong to if you don't mind?
    I'm just curious cuz you know I'm a typical Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I guess I should introduce myself properly. :P

I'm an English language and methodology lecturer in Seoul National University. I've been here for about 5 years I guess with my wife (also Irish teaching in another SKY university). We live in Seoul, near Gangnam, which is a nice area but very loud and busy. We enjoy hiking and eating Korean food.

Don't about writing in Korean guys. This is a Korean forum after all, where the majority of the people here are Korean or married to a Korean (like Hobbes and frany) so don't worry if you write in Korean. I don't want people to feel that they have to write in English because I can't read Korean well. If there is any Korean then I will just ask one of my co-workers to translate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moonjue

Hi

I am Korean,27,female, living in dublin for a while. I've been looking for a community for korean those who are living in Ireland. I think I found very good one.^^

I'm here for about 1 year. I was one of the korean students who's coming Ireland for english study for 6months and hanging around Europe for few months and go back to korea. But eventually I met a guy (French)here and got married last month. Sometimes I cannot believe myself being married. I mean..who'd have imagined that i'd get married here in Ireland?

Anyway,,We're both working here and waiting for the answer of my Visa application from the EU Treaty. They say the process will take up to 6months. But still we're not so sure that they give me the paper or not.
    So,,just keep our fingers cross on it^^

By the way,,I'm so glad that I found the website and people who are korean or have same interest about korea.I feel as if I found my home.

For Korean- 반갑습니다. 앞으로 자주 들를께요.많은 얘기 나눴으면 좋겠네요.^^

I guess I should introduce myself properly. :P

I'm an English language and methodology lecturer in Seoul National University. I've been here for about 5 years I guess with my wife (also Irish teaching in another SKY university). We live in Seoul, near Gangnam, which is a nice area but very loud and busy. We enjoy hiking and eating Korean food.

Don't about writing in Korean guys. This is a Korean forum after all, where the majority of the people here are Korean or married to a Korean (like Hobbes and frany) so don't worry if you write in Korean. I don't want people to feel that they have to write in English because I can't read Korean well. If there is any Korean then I will just ask one of my co-workers to translate it.

Thanks for introducing yourself. I've lived in Sadang before coming to Ireland. You would know there as you live near Gangnam! What Korean food do you like mostly? You know Irish food,Cuddle? I love it.The soup is creamy nice. And I like Irish breakfast, sausages, fried tomatoes, pouched eggs, except for bacons. I don't know why but can't get used to bacons at all.

And thanks for caring Koreans who are not good at English here.:)

• Advertisement

moonjue wrote: »
    Hi

I am Korean,27,female, living in dublin for a while. I've been looking for a community for korean those who are living in Ireland. I think I found very good one.^^

I'm here for about 1 year. I was one of the korean students who's coming Ireland for english study for 6months and hanging around Europe for few months and go back to korea. But eventually I met a guy (French)here and got married last month. Sometimes I cannot believe myself being married. I mean..who'd have imagined that i'd get married here in Ireland?

Anyway,,We're both working here and waiting for the answer of my Visa application from the EU Treaty. They say the process will take up to 6months. But still we're not so sure that they give me the paper or not.
    So,,just keep our fingers cross on it^^

By the way,,I'm so glad that I found the website and people who are korean or have same interest about korea.I feel as if I found my home.

For Korean- 반갑습니다. 앞으로 자주 들를께요.많은 얘기 나눴으면 좋겠네요.^^

Wow! Nice to see you here. You were going to study English here in Ireland at first, right? But now you currently married to a French guy. Do you plan to live in Ireland with him or are you going to move to France which is his country for the rest of your life, or are you going to go back to Korea when your work permission is expired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moonjue

frany wrote: »
    Wow! Nice to see you here. You were going to study English here in Ireland at first, right? But now you currently married to a French guy. Do you plan to live in Ireland with him or are you going to move to France which is his country for the rest of your life, or are you going to go back to Korea when your work permission is expired?

Hi Frany

Pleased to meet you and thank you for the email.
    We haven't decided where to live yet. Could be Korea, France or Tunisia. He's half tunisian also. But for the moment we're living in Ireland for more one or two years. we feel like we haven't done enough our life here in Ireland.^^

And I know you got married to Irish. How long have you been here? where are you about?Have bunch of questions..

By the way,I am working part time as i have stamp2. And now it's time to extend my student visa but I think it'd be better to take sort of financial accountant course rather than just language course. And I've heard when we take relavant course of these area I can have stamp1 and able to work as a full time. I am not so sure and don't know where to find these kind of information..

오늘 쉬는날이라서 신랑이랑 같이 놀러나갈까 하고 있었는데 날씨가 영 쌀쌀하네요..
    어딜갈지 막막;;
    참 저 아유모 통해서 온 거 아니구요..에린 이라고 여자분 혼자 운영하시는 작은 에이전시 통해서 왔어요..그리구 저 영어 잘 못하는데;;신랑이나 저나 영어가 모국어가 아니다보니 모 배우는 입장이라..어떨땐 둘다 헤맬때도 있고..아이리쉬랑 결혼까지 하셨으면 영어 정말 잘하시겠는데요^^:)

Welcome Seeshell. Can you speak Korean? Which language is your mother tongue do you think? I'm 100% Irish and moved to Korea many years ago. I can't speak much Korean.

well unfortunatly i have lost a lot of my korean as i odnt use it so much over here.. :( i guess that my mother tongue is korean but i dont sepak it anymore :D. its amazin how u can forget :eek:

frany wrote: »
    wow! That's fantastic that you speak 3 languages!! I wish I could.:(
    It's hard enough to speak in English to me. haha
    But I learned very basic French when I was in the high school in Korea.
    So I want to say,"Enchanté" :)

When you arrive to Ireland, just let me know. I will say,"Welcome to Ireland":D[/Q

i wish hehe but i only speak 2 .. ive forgotten my korean :eek:
    ur doin well, ur english is very good!
    and same to you "Ca me fait plaisir de faire ta connaissance" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Hey there..

I'm glad to see this thread!! I am an Irishman in Korea. I have been here for about 4 years. I will return to Ireland in June for some time and I look forward to not losing touch with Korea entirely. I really like Korea very much and Im sure I will miss it lots when I go back to Ireland. Not sure how long I will stay there. We will see!!

Its good to know that there are some Koreans in Ireland. I have met a good few people here in Korea who have been there actually..

Hopefully I will be able to get access to some Korean products..like gotchuchang (고추)when I am home. I love Korean food....haha

Anyway..I hope this thread stays active!! Would be great to get to know some Korean people in Ireland and I hope they are warmly welcomed there..

Saram!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Anouck

Hi !
    I am a French girl, living in County Wicklow. But I was born in S. Korea. I was adopted when I was a baby. I'd love to know more about the culture, the language.
    Frany, I read you learn French a little bit. I was thinking, if you are interested in learning French I can help you, and you could help me with korean. I don't know anything acutally... Tell me if you are interested !
    Bye !

well unfortunatly i have lost a lot of my korean as i odnt use it so much over here.. :( i guess that my mother tongue is korean but i dont sepak it anymore :D. its amazin how u can forget :eek:

Yes I understand it cuz I realize my speaking Korean is getting worse in Ireland.
    But more worse point is that my understanding English is getting more worse than Korean.:pac:

i wish hehe but i only speak 2 .. ive forgotten my korean :eek:
    ur doin well, ur english is very good!
    and same to you "Ca me fait plaisir de faire ta connaissance" :)

hehe..I can teach you Korean, then you can teach me English. haha

saram wrote: »
    Hey there..

I'm glad to see this thread!! I am an Irishman in Korea. I have been here for about 4 years. I will return to Ireland in June for some time and I look forward to not losing touch with Korea entirely. I really like Korea very much and Im sure I will miss it lots when I go back to Ireland. Not sure how long I will stay there. We will see!!

Its good to know that there are some Koreans in Ireland. I have met a good few people here in Korea who have been there actually..

Hopefully I will be able to get access to some Korean products..like gotchuchang (고추)when I am home. I love Korean food....haha

Anyway..I hope this thread stays active!! Would be great to get to know some Korean people in Ireland and I hope they are warmly welcomed there..

Saram!!

I've never known there were lots of Irish in S.Korea.:cool:
    Yes you can get kochujang in Hanyang and it's not that expensive like soju.
    Yes I will try to come here more often too!
    Yes Koreans are always welcomed in Ireland except for a few spoilt teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dntworrybehappy

I saw randomly came across this post but im hapa kolea too :)
    My dad is full hawaiian and my mom is full south korean so i guess im hapa kolea and hapa kanaka...but i dont live in ireland haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭랴연

안녕하세요

아일랜드 사람이에요. 서울 노량진 옆에 살아요. 다음 달에 한국여자하고 결훈 할 거예요.

반갑습니다 :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement