Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uh oh! Just got my new Alfa 159 and...

Options
  • 02-02-2008 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

I took delivery of my 2.4l JTDM 159 this afternoon. It's top of the range and I pretty much loaded it with everything. It is gorgeous, but it looks like I've been screwed.

I've never driven a car with cruise control before and didn't really know what to look for, but I had this niggely feeling in the back of my head not long after setting out on the journey home.

I got home (about an hour ago). Sure enough, the Cruise Control stalk is missing! This was supposed to be a standard feature FFS! And it's not here.

It still says on the website that this is a standard feature of the TI - I've taken a screen shot. I'm also 99.99% sure I've a paper spec sheet from the garage showing the Cruise Control as standard.

Cruise Control was a must have for the car I replaced my SAAB with. So, now that it doesn't have it I feel deflated. Not good on day one of a new €54k motor. Aint buyers remorse a bitch!

So, any advice? How do ye see this panning out. What do you think the dealer will say when I call them on Monday? Will I be appearing on some solicitor's christmas card list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

smcgiff wrote: »
    I took delivery of my 2.4l JTDM 159 this afternoon. It's top of the range and I pretty much loaded it with everything. It is gorgeous, but it looks like I've been screwed.

I've never driven a car with cruise control before and didn't really know what to look for, but I had this niggely feeling in the back of my head not long after setting out on the journey home.

I got home (about an hour ago). Sure enough, the Cruise Control stalk is missing! This was supposed to be a standard feature FFS! And it's not here.

It still says on the website that this is a standard feature of the TI - I've taken a screen shot. I'm also 99.99% sure I've a paper spec sheet from the garage showing the Cruise Control as standard.

Cruise Control was a must have for the car I replaced my SAAB with. So, now that it doesn't have it I feel deflated. Not good on day one of a new €54k motor. Aint buyers remorse a bitch!

So, any advice? How do ye see this panning out. What do you think the dealer will say when I call them on Monday? Will I be appearing on some solicitor's christmas card list?

Talk of solicitors so soon ? :confused:

When you CALL INTO THEM monday, ask them wtf is my cruise control ?

Are you sure its not on the wheel controls ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Howdy,

I've never gone to a solicitor in my life apart from arranging my mortgage. Although the only time I should ever have gone to a solicitor was due to experience with a car dealer. If it does go to a solicitor I will not be happy, but I'm trying to draw out what people think.

Nope, it's an entirely separate (according to the manual) stalk, and unless my 159 has snail like abilities she aint there.

I'm based Clare side of Limerick city. Garage is approx 60 miles away, so it will be a phone call on Monday. I had hopped not to see the garage until my first service call.

I'm practically speechless it's not there!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€54k :eek:

That model lists at €45k so can be had for about €40k. What extras did you specify, a life long supply of coke and hookers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry but hahahahahaha :D

unkel wrote: »
    €54k :eek:

That model lists at €45k so can be had for about €40k. What extras did you specify, a life long supply of coke and hookers?

Thanks Unkel, feeling bad enough already. :p Model lists at €47.5k before Delivery charges. Put approx six k onto it.

There was also a trade in.

• Advertisement

Sorry but hahahahahaha :D

Should have bought a Fiesta, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

According to this brochure currently posted on the Alfa IE website, it's standard kit on the 2.4JTDm

ciarsd wrote: »
    According to this brochure currently posted on the Alfa IE website, it's standard kit on the 2.4JTDm

To play Devil's advocate that mentions the Sportivo not the TI. Although the TI is a higher spec. It says it on the website and the paper addendum I have listing the TI standard spec. So, I'm happy it should have it, but what now?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I remember seeing the review for that on topgear, they basically said all they done was turn the 6 into a 9. Have you upgraded from a 156? :)

Hal1 wrote: »
    I remember seeing the review for that on topgear, they basically said all they done was turn the 6 into a 9. Have you upgraded from a 156? :)

Have driven a 1.6 litre 156 (friend's car) ages ago, but they are chalk and cheese. I remember the top gear review, but don't remember the above quote. I do remember they said they liked it though - May kept having to put money in a pot each time he said some key (positive) words as he drove it. And he was only driving a 1.9 if memory serves.

The 156 and the 159 share certain looks, but very little made it (parts wise) from the 156 to the 159.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I would also agree that it is a tad early to engage solicitors. Go back to the dealer first thing on Monday morning together with the spec sheet given to you when you purchased the car showing cruise control as included in the extras. Make it clear to the garage from the get go that this is totally unacceptable and you want what you paid for (or were let to believe you were paying for). No need to be a prick about it, yet, I always find you catch more flys with honey than vinegar. However be stern and stick to your guns.

It might be worth putting this complaint on the record at this the earliest possible stage, maybe by way of an email. It cant hurt and is always prudent put things on the record and will be very helpful if this matter ever goes as far as litigation (thinking very far down the line here).

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I would also agree that it is a tad early to engage solicitors. Go back to the dealer first thing on Monday morning together with the spec sheet given to you when you purchased the car showing cruise control as included in the extras. Make it clear to the garage from the get go that this is totally unacceptable and you want what you paid for (or were let to believe you were paying for). No need to be a prick about it, yet, I always find you catch more flys with honey than vinegar. However be stern and stick to your guns.

It might be worth putting this complaint on the record at this the earliest possible stage, maybe by way of an email. It cant hurt and is always prudent put things on the record and will be very helpful if this matter ever goes as far as litigation (thinking very far down the line here).

Sounds like a plan, Ronnie. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

And he was only driving a 1.9 if memory serves.

It was a 2.2 JTS;)!(and if I remember correctly they raced some man going across the Severn river on his feet, while Captain Slow had to get from one side to the other in the Alfa, but couldn't use the suspension Severn bridge to do it).

As for the OP, perhaps he was given an 07 model year version or something, I mean it's not every day you see a 159 let alone a 2.4 JTDm version.

E92 wrote: »
    It was a 2.2 JTS;)!(and if I remember correctly they raced some man going across the Severn river on his feet, while Captain Slow had to get from one side to the other in the Alfa, but couldn't use the suspension Severn bridge to do it).

I test drove the 2.2 JTS, and wasn't overly impressed.

Talk to ye tomorrow.

E92 wrote: »

As for the OP, perhaps he was given an 07 model year version or something, I mean it's not every day you see a 159 let alone a 2.4 JTDm version.

Hope not, had to wait approx 10 weeks or so to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

to be fair cruise control isnt even that useful in ireland. Even at say 4am when there's no traffic its crap either because of people doing 50 in left lane or people driving in the right lane refusing to pull over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Thanks Unkel, feeling bad enough already. :p Model lists at €47.5k before Delivery charges. Put approx six k onto it.

There was also a trade in.

6k for delivery charges? Between €600 and €1000 is typical for delivery charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

JHMEG wrote: »
    6k for delivery charges? Between €600 and €1000 is typical for delivery charges.
    One would presume he means 6k for extras not just delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I have cruise control in my car and never use it. You're more easily able to control speed without it as everyone else is driving at different speeds. Besides I always have my foot over the brake with it on so it gets tired.

Anyway, I'd do a double check to make sure you don't have it (could have been put somewhere else this year?), check the manual etc. and only then go to the dealer with your spec sheet asking where it is.

Also €54k for an Alfa :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

OP - cars do get built to the wrong spec by the factory ,its rare but does occur.
    Generally these misbuilds are picked up very quickly and the manufacturer sells its cheaply to a dealer as a demo or to a friendly fleet customer.
    Just make sure A - the car is supposed to have it.
    B- that it really isnt fitted - perhaps controls have changed from 07 brochure.

I'd imagine there'd be backup from the manufacturer on this one - wouldnt get too stressed by it just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

OP go to the garage. Cruise control can be retrofitted fairly easily, even by yourself but of course on a new car you'll want it to be right. Just go talk to the dealer. The dealer didn't screw you over.. it was obviously just a factory mistake. Oh and yeah.. What were you thinking with 54k on a 159? You should have got a brera for that money or a fully loaded GT!

su_dios wrote: »
    OP go to the garage. Cruise control can be retrofitted fairly easily, even by yourself but of course on a new car you'll want it to be right. Just go talk to the dealer. The dealer didn't screw you over.. it was obviously just a factory mistake. Oh and yeah.. What were you thinking with 54k on a 159? You should have got a brera for that money or a fully loaded GT!

Hi Su_dios,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the dealer doesn't even know about it. My solicitor remark in the first post was a bad joke.

Unfortunately due to my prodigious talent at reproducing I needed a five seater. Otherwise we'd now be talking about an Audi TT! ;)

I was hoping CC could be retro fitted, this would be great. Although now I've been told I shouldn't bother with it.

As suggested above I'll ring up the dealer and say that I can't work the CC and let it flow from there. But I will be checking the entire spec sheet when it comes in the post to make sure there's nothing else. Just hope it's not a Monday job.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was hoping CC could be retro fitted, this would be great. Although now I've been told I shouldn't bother with it..

While it may be supposed to be standard equipment I'd work on the principal that anything on the car , you'vepaid for, so should get something back if you dont take the retrofit option.

The process is more than likely just connecting the stalk so may as well get them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

54K! That dealer's nearly as happy as the dealer the company I work for bought a brand new car off last week only to have the rep crash it ten minutes after he sat into it. Probably the fastest repeat sale in history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Good call on the 159. I think it looks much nicer than the gt (which i was never really a fan of). The brera is a little prettier , but there is not much in it ... both are sexiest cars on the road south of 100,000.
    Im sorry to hear you got shafted. I have a friend who bought a BMW years ago and got shunted.
    What colour did you go for ? Personally if it was me i would be going for that grey they do for the TI model. The extra side skirting and red calipers look savage against it.

eamon234 wrote: »
    54K! That dealer's nearly as happy ...

Then that's two of us happy. See, the world is a better place.
    And if you think the dealer is happy, I heard Brian Cowen has decided not put up the ESB for privatisation because of the extra revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Good call on the 159. I think it looks much nicer than the gt (which i was never really a fan of). The brera is a little prettier , but there is not much in it ... both are sexiest cars on the road south of 100,000.
    Im sorry to hear you got shafted. I have a friend who bought a BMW years ago and got shunted.
    What colour did you go for ? Personally if it was me i would be going for that grey they do for the TI model. The extra side skirting and red calipers look savage against it.

nice car OP

must be a real pain to post a genuine tale of woe on here and to have the thread filled with people spluttering about how you spent so much on that car

enjoy it

Thanks agent, Smith. I went for the bling bling option (I've the sterotype of a chartered accountant to live down) - Alfa Red. I was a bit worried about the chrome mirrors, but I think it works now that I see it in the flesh. Will post a picture in the non - BMW thread when the weather is more conducive.

I think the black does look best, with the chrome and red calipers, but they are by far the most common (albeit of a pretty rare car).

And while this thread is a concentrating on a negative (and I may have over reacted somewhat on first discovery), I have to say the car drives like a dream.

BTW, I'm sure the garage will see me right.

chump wrote: »
    nice car OP

must be a real pain to post a genuine tale of woe on here and to have the thread filled with people spluttering about how you spent so much on that car

enjoy it

Thanks Chump. Water of a ducks arse! :D

But, with that said, I'm grateful for the good advice I've received above and have calmed down from potential melt down to 'everything's alright with the world' again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Tails142 wrote: »
    to be fair cruise control isnt even that useful in ireland. Even at say 4am when there's no traffic its crap either because of people doing 50 in left lane or people driving in the right lane refusing to pull over.

In fairness, cruise control comes down to personal preference and if someone wants it they should be able to have it.If you have a lond daily commute for example, or if you frequently travel to the uk or europe, CC is very handy.Hope you get to the bottom of the problem, OP and good look with the car.It sounds gorgeous altogether.

Advertisement