Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFCH Question

Options
  • 03-02-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭

I have gas fired central heating. Above the boiler vent at the side of the house there is a small pipe which occasionally drips water.

In the last few days this pipe has had a steady trickle of water regardless of whether the boiler is on or off. We are in the process of getting the attic converted at the moment. A lot of the ceiling area at the top of the stairs is removed causing most of the heat to go to the attic.

As a result of this, and with the current cold spell, the boiler is turned up to '5' whereas it is normally at '2'. Is this the reason for the extra water dripping or have I got a more serious problem?

Please excuse my lay-man's language :o and thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Once again I know nothing about gas heating - but, it could be the water drain of a condensing boiler - or MORE LIKELY it is the outlet from the safety valve. Have you overfilled the system ? is the needle on the pressure gauge near your boiler up at close to 3 ? If so turn off the valve that fills the system. This valve may have been left open after the new rad(s) was fitted in the attic and the system re-filled.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JamesM wrote: »
    Once again I know nothing about gas heating - but, it could be the water drain of a condensing boiler - or MORE LIKELY it is the outlet from the safety valve. Have you overfilled the system ? is the needle on the pressure gauge near your boiler up at close to 3 ? If so turn off the valve that fills the system. This valve may have been left open after the new rad(s) was fitted in the attic and the system re-filled.
    Jim.
    The pressure guage is at the lowest end of the green band which is lower than normal. I didn't think of the radiator in the attic. It's plumbed for but not installed yet. I'll try to talk to the builder/plumber tomorrow and mention it to him.

Thanks for that Jim. :)

Advertisement