Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next build : wooden case

Options
  • 03-02-2008 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

planning a funky build soon.

so far ive got this on order.

8800gts
    asus x38
    2 x 2gb ocz gold
    q6600
    2 x 500gb deskstar's

watercooling setup for the lot of it.

what im planning on making is a wooden case.

read a lot of reviews on it.
    few say fire hazzard and over heating are the main problems with it.
    and with plenty of noise reduction and anti vibrating ideas it should be as quite as santa.

so any suggestions before i start?
    my brother's a cabinet maker so he's doing the majority of work on the case with me.

planning on picking the wood up during the week when im off work.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Get a cheap case you can strip for parts like 3.5" bays, motherboard tray etc. Plug in, turn on and leave running your PSU for a while and see what parts of it get hot and make sure they don't touch the sides of the wooden case or there'll be trouble I'd say :) Also, since it's a completely custom case, no harm running some fans in locations they normally wouldn't be like behind the motherboard (just to be certain of cooling).

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else you'd want to be wary of, so all I'll say is good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah best of luck with this. Sounds like a fun build. Juat make sure you have lots of good airflow. As wood will store built up heat. Dont make it too small either. And try and add in vents on the bottom of the case.

Cant wait to see what you some up with. Also might be usefull to use CAD to design this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

wood is a really good insulator so your definitely going to be coming into some overheating issues. I was thinking of building a wooden case myself and read a few ideas on the net. One design to reduce the woods insulation was to have tiny holes pinned throughout the case. Another was to have two plys of wood as the case with a gap in between them and have a latent heat device in the gap to super cool the case like a fridge. DOnt really know how that would work with wood but maybe a good varnish could make it happen. There would be little condensation so they say cause it is wood. You could have a fridge comp then=)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just do what I'm doing to mine - use that plastic adhesive that looks like real wood. :D

Advertisement