Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is entrappment

• 03-02-2008 2:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious to know, what exactly is entrappment. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, is that it is doing something illegal to get someone else to do something illegal in order to, well, hang them.

What differenciates entrappment from a genuine investigation into say, for example, discriminatory practices into a certain industry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

It is a defence open to a defendant where he/she has been induced by the police into committing some criminal act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

It is a defence to a criminal charge in the united states when a government agent is instrumental in creating the criminal offence (sherman v. united states). In that case a federal narcotics agent induced the defendent to supply him with drugs, the test is the "but for" test, would the offence have occurred but for the actions of the government.

It is generally not a defence in the rest of the common law world though the House of Lords recently in AG's Reference No. 3 of 2006 held that in exceptional cases it may be.

Under Irish Law (Dental Board v. Callaghan and more recently Synon v. Hewitt) it is not a defence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

gabhain7 wrote: »
    It is a defence to a criminal charge in the united states when a government agent is instrumental in creating the criminal offence (sherman v. united states). In that case a federal narcotics agent induced the defendent to supply him with drugs, the test is the "but for" test, would the offence have occurred but for the actions of the government.

It is generally not a defence in the rest of the common law world though the House of Lords recently in AG's Reference No. 3 of 2006 held that in exceptional cases it may be.

Under Irish Law (Dental Board v. Callaghan and more recently Synon v. Hewitt) it is not a defence.

My understanding of Synon is that entrapment was found not to be a defence in that particular case, on the basis that the offence of selling cigarettes to a minor would go virtually undetected unless they used entrapment, so therefore it was proportionate to the purpose of the legislation to refuse to allow entrapment as a defence. That is not to say that it can never be a defence in Irish law.

The ECHR have found in Teixeire de Castro v. Portugal 28 EHRR 101 (1998)that the actions of the police officers there "went beyond those of undercover agents because they instigated the offence and there is nothing to suggest that without their intervention it would have been committed. That intervention and its use in the impugned criminal proceedings meant that, right from the outset, the applicant was definitively deprived of a fair trial. Consequently, there had been a violation of article 6(1)."

Generally, entrapment is when a state agency (i.e. the gardai) induce someone to commit a criminal offence that they would not have committed if it had not been for the inducement, but also that they would not have even been tempted or likely to commit it. So if a garda encouraged a strung out drug addict to burgle a house which was basically a trap, and this is something that the drug addict would never have even considered beforehand, it would be entrapment. But if a garda is walking along the street and is asked if he wants drugs and he replies "yes" to which the accused produces some drugs, I don't think that it would be considered entrapment. In between it would be a grey area.

Generally the gardai don't perform such operations.

That said, it seems to me that rather than entrapment being a defence, it should be grounds to prohibit a trial in Judicial review on the basis of breach of fair procedures.

Advertisement