Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.8 Petrol vs 2.0 TDi - S40

Options
  • 03-02-2008 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Any recommend one over the other ? I'm leaning towards the 2.0 TDi

2.0 TDi seems to have a faster time from 0-60 (9.2 seconds) and the extra torque would give the left foot a bit of rest. Cheaper to run too but higher motor tax.

Is the 2.0 TDi a Ford engine cause I hear some of the Ford diesels can give a bit of trouble ?

2 other questions.

Does the 2.0 TDi come with 6 forward gears.

Does the SE model come with cruise control as standard ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I found the 1.8f a bit sluggish when driving at motorway speeds. The engine did not feel quite so responsive. The 2.0d on the other hand had much more go in it but it was definately very noisy at motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

+1 diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Drove both a couple of weeks ago. Wouldnt consider the 1.8 lacking in power but no sports car. Perfectly good for most people's driving and quite smooth and quiet.
    Was expecting more from the 2.0D but disappointed me. Felt a little bit quicker than the 1.8, but not as much as I expected from the 0-60 figures difference. But it was quite noisy and had the stereotype diesel rattle of old that I had though would be much reduced in current gen diesels. It was rougher than the VW TDI I have at the moment and I thought they were the last of their era. The 2.0D did have nice torque at speed, but while you didnt need to change down and rev it like the 1.8, the noise was still a bit annoying for me when pressing the pedal.

Not going to buy either, but if I were, Id get the 1.8 unless I were doing high mileage and needed the fuel savings that the diesel would bring. Nicely fitted and stylish interior though and the leather seats really are comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

The tax will be lower on the 2.0D if you buy after July.
    It is peugeot HDI engine, not a Ford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should be looking at the 1.8 Flexi Fuel version. With the current Government 50% rebate on the VRT it works out cheaper than the standard 1.8 petrol. Car does the same mpg as the normal 1.8 but E85 Bio-ethonal is alot cheaper than petrol at the pump.

2.0d is a Peugeot/Citroen made HDi engine is a 6 speed. Also afaik the SE has cruise control. More info at www.volvo.ie.

If buying the diesel then wait until 1st July as the motor tax will be cheaper than currently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement