Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock vs Mir**UFC 81 Spoilers**

• 03-02-2008 5:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

The fight has just finished.
    Well it lasted less than a round.The fight started with brock getting a takedown in 5 seconds.Brock passed guard and started pounding away at mir.He accidently hit mir at the back of his head and was docked one point instantly.Both were made to stand up again.
    Brock took mir down again and this time he was literally on his head pounding away.Mir got his guard back and almost arm-barred brock twice.Brock stood up and placed one leg in mir's guard(in an attempt to pass i think).Mir grabbed his leg and knee-barred lesnar.He tapped soon after.
    Brock was way too anxious to finish the fight early.I think that he should have tried to last one round to at least tire mir.Mir is quite experienced and he took great advantage of brock's inexperience.Having said that,if brock had not hit mir at the back of his head,he would have finished mir..
    Brock walked away from that fight $250,000 richer-more than he used to make in a year with WWE.Not bad for one days work....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Is there no MMA or UFC section on here. Feels wrong posting about it on a pro wrestling thread.

Lesnar like you say got overexcited and left himself wide open. Can't be too harsh on the guy though. mir was a horrible matchup fore him in all honesty. Seen enough of his power to think he could be a serious player in the division.

****ing made up Nog beat Sylvia. Was a great fight. Nog looked down and out in the first. hung on for dear life and saw the round out.

What he puled off in the 3rd was pretty special. Tricked Sylvia down to the ground and even stopped Tim from standing back up. Top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

While I'm disappointed for Brock that he didn't get the win, he still showed alot of potential (in the 2 minutes it lasted). Obviously winning in a minute would have been great for Brock but I don't think it's a case where people will be writing him off or anything after this. He just needs more time. Fair play to Mir, he took advantage of Brocks inexperience.

I haven't seen all of the fights but I've heard this is a really good show. Pretty fun to see Undertaker, Austin and Angle in the front row too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

He wanted to finish the fight way too fast imo. Still he kicked the ****e of Mir until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

While I'm disappointed for Brock that he didn't get the win, he still showed alot of potential (in the 2 minutes it lasted). Obviously winning in a minute would have been great for Brock but I don't think it's a case where people will be writing him off or anything after this. He just needs more time. Fair play to Mir, he took advantage of Brocks inexperience.

I haven't seen all of the fights but I've heard this is a really good show. Pretty fun to see Undertaker, Austin and Angle in the front row too.

It was a good show overall.Some great fights on the card.Definitley worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

el dude wrote: »
    ****ing made up Nog beat Sylvia. Was a great fight. Nog looked down and out in the first. hung on for dear life and saw the round out.

What he puled off in the 3rd was pretty special. Tricked Sylvia down to the ground and even stopped Tim from standing back up. Top class.

Agreed. Great match. Nog looked down and out for all of the 2nd round but managed to hold on. Nog V Mir anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ninjashoes

Brock showed some serious potential, if he learns to defend subs better he could be a contender one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

****ing Dickhead. This is a thread about the Brock Lesnar v Frank Mir fight and some bastard spoils the main event. ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ya actually ur sum w***ers...was lookin forward to the main event!!!....ill still watch it but like...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

callaway92 wrote: »
    ya actually ur sum w***ers...was lookin forward to the main event!!!....ill still watch it but like...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Did the fact that it said spoiler in the title not tip you off?

• Advertisement

steveland? wrote: »
    Did the fact that it said spoiler in the title not tip you off?

UMMM...the title says BROCK vs MIR you clown...you should have said UFC 81 you sack:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

callaway92 wrote: »
    UMMM...the title says BROCK vs MIR you clown...you should have said UFC 81 you sack:mad:

Meeeoooooowwwww.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

lads it said spoiler in the title and i checked this thread way earlier so it hasnt been edited in (at least in the last few hours). steer clear if you dont want anything leaked. you didnt miss much anyway.

So what if the title said spoiler. It also said Brock vs Mir, not UFC 81. I came to this thread straight after watching the Lesnar v Mir fight and had the main event ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

WTF does it matter if the thread had the main event in it? It said spoilers, so if ya didn't wanna have it spoiled ya shouldn't have opened the thread. It's not like it said Mir defeated Lesner!

No one is complaining about the result of the Lesnar v Mir fight being in the thread, it is the fight afterwards that I am complaining about.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    No one is complaining about the result of the Lesnar v Mir fight being in the thread, it is the fight afterwards that I am complaining about.

YA ME TOO !!!!:mad::mad:

My mistake, sorry Mossy. I thought Lesner/Mir was the main event. My mind is on the Superbowl at the mo, not UFC, lol!

Go Giants.

Thats all the world needs is another Giants supporter, lol! Pats for 19-0!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Dammit! I avoided this thread all day cos I didn't want the event spoiled on me, watched the Lesnar fight during the replaying of the event, checked here to see what people thought about the fight and some prat ruins the main event! I know it said spoiler on the thread, but the thread title is Mir and Lesnar, not the whole
    show! :mad:

Looks like Lesnar got too over excited after pounding away for a bit and went looking for a quick knock-out, looked pretty impressive up until he got caught though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched it for the Lesnar match. Surprised to see Taker and Austin there. :)

I thought Brock did well and I was urging him on but credit to Mir for getting the leg lock on him. Don't know about anyone else but it seemed to me like Brock looked quite nervous. I remember Rogan making the point that Mir looked very relaxed, which he did, but Brock, to me anyway, looked like the occasion was weighing on his mind in a big way.

It's a good advert for MMA though considering the smaller, thinner Mir was having the bigger and stronger Lesnar pound the sh*t out of him and yet he was still able to use his skills to ultimately overcome his adversary.

I think it's a win, win situation for the UFC. Brock showed more than enough in that fight to make people want to see him fight again while Mir just became a star again.

I don't think the occassion was weighing on Brocks mind resulting in him losing. He looked edgy maybe but to me it was just Mir's experience getting the better of him.

Dave Meltzer colum from yahoo on Brock:
    Lesnar shows superstar potential in loss
    By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports
    February 3, 2008

Dave Meltzer
    Yahoo! Sports

LAS VEGAS – If you knew ahead of time that former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir would submit former pro wrestling superstar Brock Lesnar in 90 seconds, you’d think Lesnar was a one-time gimmick and would never be heard from again.

But after one of the most exciting 90-second fights in UFC history, most of the talk after the match was about Lesnar’s potential to be one of the most dominant heavyweights in mixed martial arts history.

Lesnar exploded out of the blocks, with two takedowns, powerful punches on the ground and even a knockdown standing as he dominated all but the closing seconds of the match. But in the end, experience won out as Lesnar powered out of an armbar, but left his leg exposed. Mir, expecting Lesnar’s response, snatched the leg, securing a kneebar and forcing the former NCAA champion to tap out.

“I expected him to be strong, but I didn’t expect him to be as fast as he was,” said Mir. “One second he was on my right, then he was on my left. That second armbar I tried works 99 percent of the time in practice except against the most experienced guys.”

Lesnar is a former NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion and a former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar. To the near sellout crowd of 10,583 fans at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, it was almost like one of the story lines from Lesnar's WWE days.

Lesnar was the outsider, representing pro wrestling. Mir, a Las Vegas native who had never been more popular, and to the fans in the arena, the defender of the UFC. Lesnar entered the building to jeers. But after losing, his performance won the fans over and he was heavily cheered, gaining what appeared to be full acceptance in a new sport.

Mir said he thought Lesnar would use his wrestling to keep the fight standing, and avoiding Mir’s strength, which is submissions while on his back. But in throwing a kick, he got Lesnar to revert to his natural instincts and take him to the ground.

That strategy didn’t look so smart at first. Lesnar began pounding Mir with rapid and scary sledgehammer-like blows to the head, and quickly moving position so Mir couldn’t put up a defense. In what may have been a key moment, while being pounded, Mir turned his head, the natural response to avoid being punched in the face. Lesnar, in his inexperience, continued his aggressive punching. With a blow to the back of the head, referee Steve Mazzagatti stopped the fight, and took a point away from Lesnar for the foul, giving Mir a needed reprieve.

Mir was taking such a beating that when he raised Lesnar’s hand, to point to the judges for the foul, most fans thought the match was being stopped and Lesnar was the winner.

When it was restarted, Lesnar scored with a hard right that put Lesnar down. As he kept punching, Mir started moving for a submission. Lesnar allowed Mir to get to his feet, but then took him down again. As Mir tried for a second armbar, Lesnar escaped and left his foot behind. Mir grabbed it with everything he had, forcing the huge wrestler to tap out.

Lesnar was frustrated, noting much of his training was based on cardio, which never came into play in such a short fight, and in defending against submissions.

“I just stepped out a little too late,” he said.

Lesnar, 1-1, noted that he’s spent so much time building his cardio for his two fights, and between the two, still hasn’t had three minutes of total ring time.

“There’s no shame in losing,” he said. “I lost my first amateur wrestling match as a kid. My coach told me when I was wanting to quit, that you first have to lose before you learn how not to lose. I don’t like to lose so I have to learn not to lose in this sport.”

Some of the biggest modern pro wrestling stars were ringside for the fight, including “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, The Undertaker and John “Bradshaw” Layfield. While Lesnar was aware the fans saw him as the outsider representing pro wrestling against MMA, he never saw it that way.

“Obviously I’m disappointed, but it was a great experience,” he said. "I must have worked on defending that leglock 1,000 times maybe. I thought I was going to get out."

UFC officials were thrilled by the match and buzzing over Lesnar’s potential in the sport.

“I’m here for as long as I can fight here,” Lesnar said. “I love what I’m doing. The company has been great.”

UFC fans got the outcome they wanted, as UFC is based on the idea that a smaller man can beat a stronger foe through superior skill and technique. But when it was over, they accepted Lesnar based on the potential he showed. Mir, 11-3, with the win is back in the mix with the group’s top heavyweights, revitalizing a career that just a few months ago appeared on its last legs as he hadn’t made a full recovery from a broken leg in a motorcycle accident.

Mir said when he was on the back, he kept thinking about movement, figuring as long as he kept moving, the match wouldn’t be stopped even though he was the recipient of heavy punches.

Lesnar earned $250,000 as his base pay. Mir got $140,000, a combination of both his contracted pay and a $60,000 bonus for the night’s best submission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Excellent show for any pro-wrestling fans watching for the first time. It was like a pro-wrestling show itself, especially the title fight. Even had a face turn by Sylvia! And Brock to an extent

That's the first time in a good while that I can remember seeing someone get docked a point for hitting the back of the head. Recently I've noticed refs repeatedly warning guys but never stopping them, and I think the fact that Brock was just hitting Frank so hard made the ref stop him. I have a feeling that Brock knew he was in a dodgy position standing with one leg between both of Frank's, but that he just felt that he was dominating him so much that he'd just continue with what he was doing. Inexperience and naivety basically

People talked about Wanderlei becoming a star even though he lost to Chuck five weeks ago and I think Brock came across as an even bigger star. It looks like unless you can catch him in a submission then he's going to power through whoever his opponent is. Right after the main event I thought Brock vs Sylvia. Now I'm thinking they might feed Lesnar someone less dangerous, at the bottom of the heavyweight division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote: »
    Now I'm thinking they might feed Lesnar someone less dangerous, at the bottom of the heavyweight division

Feed is definitely the right word. When he started off so dominant I had flashbacks of Michael Cole screaming "Brock Lesnar's an animal!"

Any news on when his next fight will be? They won't hold off on him for months now will they?

Any news on when his next fight will be? They won't hold off on him for months now will they?

I doubt he'll get any sort of medical suspension, unlike Mir, so basically it'll be whenever the UFC see fit to have him fight. If they decide to put him against a lesser skilled fighter like Eddie Sanchez or Colin Robinson (if he's fighting in London) then I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw him back in around June or July. They usually wait around four months at least between their top guy's fights. If they want to put him against a better opponent then I'd say they'll give him more time to train because he can obviously learn from his loss. In that case I'd expect him to fight around September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

****ing Dickhead. This is a thread about the Brock Lesnar v Frank Mir fight and some bastard spoils the main event. ****.

Wawa. Said spoilers in the title. I know I'd be smart enough to stay away from a UFC thread if i didn't want anything spoiled.

A loss for Lesnar will probably do him more good than harm, at least now he knows what he needs to work on, whereas had he won too easily i could see him getting way too cocky.

Wonder if Randy will get back in the cage to fight Nog? A Couture Fedor match is losing it's appeal by the day, one only fights cans and the other isn't active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be fair, the title of the thread should have said UFC 81 spoilers especially if someone gives away results of another fight. To me, that just showed ignorance
    Wawa. Said spoilers in the title.

You'll be popular around here. Muppet.

Re the fight itself, Ill agree with everyone that it looked like Brick got a tad over excited. He almost had him beat. He should have known to step back rather than over Mir at that crucial juncture.

Interesting to see where they go with him now. Do they give him someone weaker and let him develop, something which I feel they should have done in the first place anyway, or persevere with him up the top of the card against the bigger guys? Would Cro Cop be too much of a risk to their investment? What about Cheik Congo?
    Aside from this, I really enjoy Tim Boetsch debut. Excellent finish.

• Advertisement

Most marquee fighters in the UFC fight 3 times a year. So probably sometime in the early summer for Brock.

The way to book Brock best I think is to have him face guys that if he looses, it won't damage him completely. In other words they need to book him in matches were it's a win win for the UFC no matter what happens. I think "feeding" people guys is a dangerous game to play by promoters in MMA.

I think they need to keep give him a top level guy whose ground game isn't great for his next fight. Cro Cop would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Wawa. Said spoilers in the title. I know I'd be smart enough to stay away from a UFC thread if i didn't want anything spoiled.

I see this all the time; someone spoils a film/fight/whatever in a thread and then rather than act contrite, they argue at length about how they were right after all. Mossy Monk was clearly right; why argue with him? Just let it go; the damage is done.

I agree with Vince; Cro Cop would be a great next opponent for Lesnar. To the best of my knowledge, he still has not been on the receiving end of even one punch, so it will be good to put him in against a striker to see if he can handle it. I imagine he'll be up to the challenge, but who knows?

I wonder will we now finally see the rematch between Mir and Sylvia? It would make sense to me. Suddenly the heavyweight division doesn't look so dull any more. Imagine if Nogueira's challenge to Randy was answered! *drools*

You are an ignorant twat. You should have read the thread title.

el dude, I've already infracted you, don't push it or you'll get a ban. The issue's over
    Wacker wrote: »
    I wonder will we now finally see the rematch between Mir and Sylvia?

I'm pretty sure that I read that Dana said in the post-fight press conference that that fight won't be taking place anytime soon

el dude, I've already infracted you, don't push it or you'll get a ban. The issue's over

I'm pretty sure that I read that Dana said in the post-fight press conference that that fight won't be taking place anytime soon
    What next for Mir then, would you say? It's hard to figure Dana's strategy; I always figured the loser of the heavyweight title match would fight the winner of the other heavyweight match.

Maybe Mir will end up fighting the winner of Kongo Vs Herring, and Lesnar could fight the loser?

Wacker wrote: »
    What next for Mir then, would you say?

If Mir wins his next fight then I'm certain that he'll get a title shot. I'm sure the UFC wants that to happen, but they can't really protect him. I'd say that he'll get Hardonk or Kongo next, both guys coming off wins...actually no, he's not going to get Hardonk, he's beaten him. Maybe Vera?

• Advertisement

If Mir wins his next fight then I'm certain that he'll get a title shot. I'm sure the UFC wants that to happen, but they can't really protect him. I'd say that he'll get Hardonk or Kongo next, both guys coming off wins...actually no, he's not going to get Hardonk, he's beaten him. Maybe Vera?
    Yeah, a rematch against Vera might show if Mir really has improved. Their previous fight really showed how bad Mir had become - I don't think Mir even lasted a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

My apologies, I didnt realise you guys were talking about another fight. I suppose the OP is at fault then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You are an ignorant twat. You should have read the thread title.

nice to see the personal attacks rule doesnt apply to everyone

great fight imo Brock really held his own and lets be fair, was kicking Mirs ass for the whole fight, hopefully this shut up a lot of the naysayers who thought Brock wouldnt make it as hes "just" a wrestler, lets be fair here the UFC guys arent working 4 or 5 nights a week wrestling up and down the country so dismissing guys who want to go from wrestling to mma is ridiculous since they have a massive work schedule and work injured as well, pisses me off so much when people assume wrestlers are just big blokes in pants pretending to hit each other

krudler wrote: »

I did not read that post. If you didn't like it you should have reported it. However, Mossy Monk was reacting to someone who had done something wrong and who stood by it. I'm more harsh on the actor than the reactor. I hope there's no problems now

krudler wrote: »

great fight imo Brock really held his own and lets be fair, was kicking Mirs ass for the whole fight, hopefully this shut up a lot of the naysayers who thought Brock wouldnt make it as hes "just" a wrestler, lets be fair here the UFC guys arent working 4 or 5 nights a week wrestling up and down the country so dismissing guys who want to go from wrestling to mma is ridiculous since they have a massive work schedule and work injured as well, pisses me off so much when people assume wrestlers are just big blokes in pants pretending to hit each other

There's a reason why Brock Lesnar has a great chance of succeding in MMA. And it's not because he worked a full time pro-wrestling schedule. If anything, that probably adversely effects him. A schedule like that wears on the body.

He has a fantastic amateur wrestling backround and is an awesome athlete. Very few pro-wrestlers in the WWE fall into that category and would have little chance in succeeding in MMA at a high level. Just ask Sean O'Haire who who got knocked out in 30 seconds by Butterbean last year whose hardly Fedor Emilenko.

This wasn't your typical pro-wrestler going into MMA. This was an NCAA champion with a 106-5 college wrestling record, who has an athleticism about him that few guys his size have.

And that's not me disrespecting pro-wrestlers or saying they're not tough, it's just the way it is. There's more to MMA (and pro-wrestling) than just being tough.

That's actually one of the knock on effects of the rise of UFC. The Kurt Angles, Brock Lesnars, Shelton Benjamins of today now have the option of persuing an MMA career rather than pro-wrestling. Also combine this with the fact that WWE don't seem to be actively persuing college athletes like they did under Jim Ross when he was head of talent relations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I accept some responsibility and apologise to all who opened this thread thinking that it would only have Mir vs Brock spoilers.
    I was watching the fight live and I couldnt believe the outcome etc and I posted the topic up asap without thinking about any of the other fights.I should have called it "UFC 81 spoilers"

Apologies again

Good article by Bruce Mitchell on www.pwtorch.com :
    MITCHELL: Lesnar's UFC debut goes just like its worked cousin WWE would have booked it

By Bruce Mitchell, PWTorch columnist

The Ultimate Fighting Championship never looked more like its worked cousin World Wrestling Entertainment than in Saturday night's match between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir. The match played out like Vince McMahon himself might have booked it, if only things worked out exactly as he envisioned it.

There was the hot outsider, Brock Lesnar, who the promotion both wanted to embrace as The Next Big Thing they always need and wanted to fail to prove that the brand – their way of fighting – was dominant.

Vince McMahon would have booked hot new star Brock Lesnar just like UFC did. Think of the excitement the night ECW champion Taz stepped into the ring on Raw – only to be beaten handily by Triple H while ECW Icon Tommy Dreamer looked like a chump. Then there was the time WWE and WCW finally appeared together on that Nitro show – only for that dream match-up to be cooled considerably when Shane McMahon was revealed to be the new WCW owner. What about when the beret-wearing Stephanie McMahon headed up the long-wished-for Extreme invasion of WWE or when ultimate WCW badass Bill Goldberg put on that blonde wig in his Raw debut? In each of these cases McMahon opted to take the edge off of his new attraction in favor of the brand he built himself. Each time money was left on the table – at least in theory.

There was more going on with many UFC fans' hatred of Brock Lesnar than just his strong heel promos. Those fans were loyal to the brand – not just of UFC but also of the sport of Mixed Martial Arts. Further, many of them don't like the way Dana White books matches based on box office appeal instead of a strict sports model. In other words, forget Lesnar's NCAA wrestling championship, the last thing many people in and out of UFC wanted to see was this fake wrassler step into the main event and win.

Did Dana White do what Vince McMahon has done so many times when booking someone who first got hot outside his own brand? By having Lesnar by-passing the usual debut match against an easy opponent did White book his expensive new start to lose just to put over his brand – despite the fact that Lesnar was now an important part of it? Would he do that even though an expensive acquisition like Mirko CoCrop has so far been a flop because, unlike in WWE, you can't depend on match finishes to go as planned?

Well, if he did, unlike when Vince McMahon tried this, it couldn't have gone better – for his brand, for Lesnar's opponent Frank Mir, or for Lesnar himself. Fans of Ultimate Fighting saw that even an impossibly huge, impossibly athletic dilettante who trained with the best non-stop for almost two years couldn't just walk into the Octagon and dominate. They saw former heavyweight champion Frank Mir, whose heart had been questioned in lieu of a career-changing motorcycle accident, defend the UFC way - surviving an avalanche of heavy blows, only to pick his spot and make Lesnar tap. Mir is back on his feet, if only metaphorically, as a marketable main-eventer.

And Brock Lesnar? His exciting Force Of Nature aggressive attack on Mir gave UFC fans a taste of the new type of action he might bring to the Octagon. He walked out of the cage with more respect from UFC fans than he went in with – an important consideration if he did not bring in the curious WWE fan in big numbers - as a non–sell-out, papered house in Las Vegas might suggest.

Booking this match got UFC's brand, a veteran former champion, and their hot new star all more over than they were when the night started. Vince McMahon never had it so good, at least not with a trick he's used many times.

Still, I couldn't help thinking it was too bad the workers who played characters of the Undertaker, Kurt Angle, and 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin surrounded the Octagon before, during, and after the fight, instead of the real thing.

If those guys had hit the ring after the fight and attacked Mir and announcer Joe Rogan, you'd really have something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The reason you won't see Mir fight Sylvia is because it makes no sense.

Don't let Mir's victory over Lesnar fool you. His record since his return to the UFC is still ****. He had a miserable return against Pe De Pano, won a horrible decisions against Christiansion, got put away by Vera and then the swing around came. He put away Hardonk ( hardly a UFC heavyweight contender ) and now a victory of a heavyily hyped opponent who only had his second match.

Sylvia just fought for the title, and the fight was good enough for Sylvia to still be in contention in one or two fights time.

Mir has some work to do before he can go looking for a belt shot!!!!

As for Brock, sure, the guys has massive potential. Put putting him in against Cro Cop would be a bad thing for him. Not because he could lose....and if Cro Cop is back then he could easily lose.....but because if he won you couldn't really rate it either. Cro Cop has been very wayward since entering the UFC. A win over him wouldn't do a massive ammount to bolster anyone right now!

I'm very curious to see who Lesnars next fight will be.

Dragan wrote: »
    The reason you won't see Mir fight Sylvia is because it makes no sense.

If I was booking a show to draw, I would put it second from the top after the heavy weight title fight. The story is there and I think a win for either guy would mean something in the eyes in the fans, (maybe even more than it should but that's the way it often is),

Mir will never be more over with mainstream fans than he is right now. So I'd run with him against a top guy.

Mir Vs Sylvia would be a horrendously boring fight.

Mir's success comes from people taking him down. Sylvia wouldn't be stupid enough to risk his metal arm a second time! :)

Don't get me wrong, you could book the hell out of it.....but lets look at it from the point of view of the promotion.

You give Mir and Sylvia a bash, you have an argument for another contender. You let Mir and Sylvia fight someone else and you have a LOT of potential fights.

Lets hypothosise!

Mir Vs A - Mir Wins
    Sylvia Vs B - Sylvia Wins

Then you can have one of them take on Nog.....either booking Sylvia as the big rematch ( legitimately as well, he wasn't far from finishing Nog ) or Mir as the big Grappler Vs Grappler match ( book this one as a possible BJJ clinic! ) with the other one waiting in the wings to THEN do the big rematch in the same circumstances as it went before.....for the belt.

Thats the way i'd run it anyway!

Who could you realistically put with those 2 that would mean more, that people would have more interest in and would have the back story to it than those two have? It could be a horrible fight but many people buy for the story and for the personalities involved. I'm not saying the action doesn't matter but sometimes a bad fight can be overlooked if the hype/story around it is strong enough.

Plus your hypothesis is founded on the basis that Mir (and Silvia) will win his next fight. That's a risky hypothesis! With mine your guaranteed a contender who the fans will buy.

On the other side, there's an argument to just put Mir straight in with Nogueira as he'll never be more over than he is right now. If Nogeuira beats him, it adds to his momentum. If Mir wins, he's even further over as a star.

It's not like Werdum has the lit the world on fire since he joined the UFC. He's further in line for a shot than Mir is but just from a business level I think more people would be interested in Mir.

I guess it's the whole sport versus entertainment/business thing and UFC needs to have a balance between the 2.

I guess it's the whole sport versus entertainment/business thing and UFC needs to have a balance between the 2.
    Bingo....and this is exactly my point. The few times the UFC has really, really ****ed up is when they made the assumption that a fighter would win and they have opted to produce big cards.....but neglect the future of some of the divisions!

Look at the heavyweights not too long ago....it went from the weakest to the possible strongest division in UFC. THey churned out a few interest pay per views that sold okay but also left the division in tatters when the fights did not go the way they were expecting.

They need to be careful and think about building up VIABLE and VALUABLE fighters before throwing them in against a champ who will not only most likely beat the majority of them, but also make them look bad doing it!

People sometimes underestimate exactly how hard it would be to fight a guy like Tim Sylvia. His structure and size, those FAST hands for a man that big and the fact that he works like a dog at the things he needs to work on make him pesky business for pretty much anyone on the planet.

Don't be fooled by Nog coming close to losing that fight.....i would imagine he can hold that belt for as long as he decides he wants to. A steady champ appears to be in place now...it's time for the UFC to rebuild the division.

In my opinion of course!

Advertisement