Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Main dealer peugeot sold car with crack engine

Options
  • 03-02-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I bought a 2002 peugeot 307hdi 1.4d last september. I had it a two weeks and i noticed an oil leak. The garage replaced seals in engine and gave it back to me. A week later I noticed again it was still leaking oil. Brought it back to garage. Was told there was a crack in engine and it needed replacing. i asked for my money back and was refused. Garage replaced engine but are unable to supply me with proof of milage of new second hand engine or the registration of the car they got the engine from. I found out since from one of the employees that the garage knew bout the crack when they sold me the car and it would take a grand to fix but they choose to sell it without the repair. I am refusing to take my car back from the garage until i get documentation for the engine. four months later and im still driving a garage car, this is a main peugeot dealer u'd expect more, has anyone else experienced similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Daina wrote: »
    I bought a 2002 peugeot 307hdi 1.4d last september. I had it a two weeks and i noticed an oil leak. The garage replaced seals in engine and gave it back to me. A week later I noticed again it was still leaking oil. Brought it back to garage. Was told there was a crack in engine and it needed replacing. i asked for my money back and was refused. Garage replaced engine but are unable to supply me with proof of milage of new second hand engine or the registration of the car they got the engine from. I found out since from one of the employees that the garage knew bout the crack when they sold me the car and it would take a grand to fix but they choose to sell it without the repair. I am refusing to take my car back from the garage until i get documentation for the engine. four months later and im still driving a garage car, this is a main peugeot dealer u'd expect more, has anyone else experienced similar?

The longer you leave this the worse off you will be, you need to get this sorted while the car you bought is still under warranty. Have a chat to the dealer, tell them you want you money back or he is going to court..end of story.

If you don't get a response, go to your solicitor and tell him the story, wont cost you a penny, but do that sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Feelgood wrote: »
    The longer you leave this the worse off you will be, you need to get this sorted while the car you bought is still under warranty. Have a chat to the dealer, tell them you want you money back or he is going to court..end of story.

If you don't get a response, go to your solicitor and tell him the story, wont cost you a penny, but do that sooner rather than later.
    +1

I reckon Joe Duffy, RTÉ and TV3 would love this if it's a well known dealer. So would the local papers. I think a short conversation to that effect with the dealership director should get you your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hold on there, are you telling us they "fixed" it with what's basicly a breakyard engine ? The least they could have done was strip the engine down and buy whatever needed replacing new from PSA. Since you're talking about a cracked engine I suppose it's the actual block that was cracked and the engine hadn't seized at any stage ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that you can't get a very good second hand engine from reputable salvage companies but for a car under main dealer warranty ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Solicitor, immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daina

Thanks. Went to solicitor for advice. The law is not really on the customers side relating to second hand cars. The solicitor advised me to have an engineer check it out , which i have done. If he doesnt find any fault i have no choice but to take my car back, even though i still don't have the documentation with the engine. Its crazy as ill never be able to sell this car and I also have to get the tax book updated with the engine change. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Small claims court.

Have you been in touch with the SIMI? I'm sure they'd take a dim view of motor dealer knowingly selling a car with a cracked engine block.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you get independent confirmation stating that the engine is sound I can't see too much of a problem with eventual resale value. Look from a different angle, how many cars come with third party expert reports stating that a good replacement engine was fitted on such and such a date to replace a defective one. I for one wouldn't mind seeing a used car with that kind of documentation combined with a bit of decent service history.

No not in touch with SIMI yet but i will put my case to them. I dont have proof the garage knew about the crack. Is a crack in the engine plate easy spot for a professional mechanic?

I'm sure a professional mechanic would spot an oil leak and investigate it's cause while doing any regular pre-sale checks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Daina wrote:
    Garage replaced engine but are unable to supply me with proof of milage of new second hand engine or the registration of the car they got the engine from
    Daina wrote:
    I dont have proof the garage knew about the crack. Is a crack in the engine plate easy spot for a professional mechanic?

I take it this is the same garage?

I assume they replaced the engine under warranty, what warranty are they giving you on the new engine?

tbh, I would be amazed to find a garage with paperwork attached to every second hand part they use.

Yes it is the same garage . Beware before you buy a second hand car from these guys..Will see how it goes, i am definitely not going to be forced to take this car. This bi**h bites back....thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

The 5 year old car developed a problem after you purchased it. The main dealer has now solved the problem by replacing the defective part with a similar one under warranty. During the time the vehicle was off the road he has supplied you with a replacement vehicle and has continued to supply the loan vehicle while you consider taking your own vehicle back. They will presumably stand over the repair and possibly extend your warranty given the problems you have had.

And you want to take them to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Mods - I suggest the name of that garage be removed very quickly given the comments on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

King Kelly wrote: »
    The 5 year old car developed a problem after you purchased it. The main dealer has now solved the problem by replacing the defective part with a similar one under warranty. During the time the vehicle was off the road he has supplied you with a replacement vehicle and has continued to supply the loan vehicle while you consider taking your own vehicle back. They will presumably stand over the repair and possibly extend your warranty given the problems you have had.

And you want to take them to court?
    Definetly agree on this one. At the end of the day you bought a second hand car not a new one. Chances are no one will ever know that it isnt the original engine when ya shift it on as the engine number is nomally hard to see...
    Me thinks a ladder is required for you so you can get down off of that high horse..

The main dealer sold me a car knowing it needed an engine replacement, botom line... What would have happined if i hadnt noticed the oil leak? My 3 month warranty would have been up and i would have had to replace the engine myself and god knows what else. Yes the car is 5 years old i am not looking for perfection. If the garage had been honest and told me the engine needed replacing when i was buying the car i would not have bought it. They chanced their arm but this time they might not get away with it....

Advertisement