Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best buy to import

Options
  • 03-02-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently living in the UK and have just sold my old car and looking for something new.
    I want to buy a car with a view to re-registering it in 6 months to a year on Irish plates and then selling it in Ireland (after waiting another year). I'm trying to work out what the best deal is so that the car won't actually cost me anything - or even make a few quid on the sale.
    I'm looking at a BMW 330ci but can't decide on a 57 plate with a thousand or so miles on the clock for £30,000 or a 55 plate with 30,000 miles on the clock for about £19,000.
    Which do you think would yield the best return? I'm inclined to think the 57 is the better buy - new shape, lower emissions, etc.
    Is the importation procedure just too much hassle to bother with? I'd love to hear your opinions. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A car with a 3 litre petrol engine has a very limited market in Ireland at the moment and may even be more limited with then new emmissions based VRT and motor tax system being introduced from 1st July. You could well find it very difficult to shift a 330ci here in a year's time.

I would be inclinded to think that the biggest sellers here come July will be diesels. I would be looking at the 330d to be honest if your thinking of resale value over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

bazz26 wrote: »
    A car with a 3 litre petrol engine has a very limited market in Ireland at the moment and may even be more limited with then new emmissions based VRT and motor tax system being introduced from 1st July. You could well find it very difficult to shift a 330ci here in a year's time.

I would be inclinded to think that the biggest sellers here come July will be diesels. I would be looking at the 330d to be honest if your thinking of resale value over here.

I hear ya but the new 330i actually has pretty good emission levels:

330i Manual - 173g/km
    330d Manual - 160g/km
    330d Auto - 175g/km

Which means the 330i manual and 330d auto would be in the same tax bracket. Road tax would be €600 a year, significantly less than the 1000 or so it is to tax currently. The older 330i is more like 230g/km so maybe that's answered my question...

Advertisement