Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths Help!!

Options
  • 03-02-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi,

Just wondering if someone could help me solve this question, or at least point me in the right direction.

f(x) is a cubic polynomial
    f(-1)=0
    f(1)=0
    f(2)=5f(0)

Find the equation f(x). Now find 3 roots of f(x)=0

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

natrisioga wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if someone could help me solve this question, or at least point me in the right direction.

f(x) is a cubic polynomial
    f(-1)=0
    f(1)=0
    f(2)=f(0)

Find the equation f(x). Now find 3 roots of f(x)=0

Thanks

Ok so let

f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d

f(-1) = a + b - c + d = 0

f(1) = a + b + c + d = 0

f(2) = f(0) = d

That should put you in the right direction.

Since f(x) is a cubic polynomial, it means f(x) = ax^3+bx^2+cx + d. Since f(-1) = 0, you get..

-a + b - c + d = 0

And then with f(1) = 0, you get...

a + b + c + d = 0

and for f(2) = 0, you get...

8a + 4b + 2c + d, which is the same as f(0) which is 0+0+0+d, and so you get 8a + 4b + 2c = 0. Do some simultaneous equations, and you find you a and b and c and d.

Once you have the equation you can divide in, although you're already given that f(-1) = f(1) = 0, so you only have to find one more root.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lol sorry bout that... made a mess of that.. Meant to sub the values in to the x's not the coeffients :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 natrisioga

Sorry, just realised now I made an error

Its f(2) = 5f(0)

Thanks for the help

Advertisement