Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Benchmarks

Options
  • 03-02-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Not sure if there are other threads on boards related to HDD benchmarking but would like to get some idea how my setup is performing compared to other systems.

I have three sata 7200 rpm disks in a Raid0 config on a ICH9R controller.
    The Raid volume is split into two across all three disks.
    One volume for the OS and the Other for Data.I am planning to create a Raid5 on the data volume.

Here is my screen shot of HD tune.

Raid.jpg

just figured out you need to run HD Tach in compatibility mode for XP if you have Vista!

hdtach.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Very nice. I have a memoright SSD which you've all seen the performance benchies for. Read is around 83MB/s. I hope to buy a 2nd one and possibly 3rd one later in the year for raid 0 goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Seeing as I have a P35 mobo to play around with while my X38 gets repaired decided to do some "real world" benchmarking.
    some very surprising results with HD Tach.
    the p35 has the same intel chipset ICH9R as the IX38 but the results are astonishingly different.
    The IX38 out-performs the P35 read test by double.I am using the same raid level and stripe size and OS as previous.

Capture-2.jpg

To Khannie,
    the ssd's sustain their speed which is a real bonus;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hdtach.jpg

A read speed of 1783.9MB/s??? :eek: that has to be a glitch. Theres no way that can be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

think thats the burst rate no?seems odd alright.

still if you look at the burst rate from HD Tune which reads 981 on the IX38 thats way greater than the P35 which is reading 304 in Hd tach.

Will run HD Tune on the P35 and see what it comes back with.

I will say this it took fookin ages for vista to install on this P35.way way slower than the IX38.

here is the result from HD Tune.glithches in both programs?

Capture4-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Heres my 2x36Gb Raptors on p35 mobo
    hdtunebenchmarkintelraiii7.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Heres my 2x36Gb Raptors on p35 mobo
    hdtunebenchmarkintelraiii7.png

Looks like your raptors are on the way out :(

Anti wrote: »

Looks like that, thank fcuk for the 5yr warranty :) They only 2.5yrs old tho. Would OCUK accept a rma after 2.5yrs or have i gotta go 2 manufacturer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I'm pretty sure ocuk only cover 1 year of the warrenty. After that you will have to go direct to WD. Ill try my raptors and 500gig samsumgs later and see hwat i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anti wrote: »

why do you say that? I've found when I have a lot of peaks and troughs like that in HD tune leaving the drive doing an intensive defrag overnight usually sorts it out.

Unsure myself 2, the graph has always looked like that, dropping off towards the end, although i've not kept any old tests to compare to when the hd's were new. Gonna run it again later now that i got vista sp1

• Advertisement
Advertisement