Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing from Vista 64-bit to 32-bit

• 03-02-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

When I was building my htpc I put Vista Ultimate 64-bit on it cos I assumed it would be the better option, but have had driver issues etc. I just got a Windows Home Server and it turns out you can only connect to it (using the Home Connector DVD provided) from a 32-bit PC.

So, I want to change from Vista Ultimate 64-bit to 32-bit. How do I go about this - just stick in the DVD and follow instructions or is there something else I need to know?

Will I lose any programs that are installed or any settings?

Also, I have a 200GB HDD and a 500GB HDD. I want to move the 200GB (SATA1 connection) to the server, but it has Windows files on it. Is there any way I can change during the reinstallation to have all windows files on the 500GB disc so I can move the 200GB HDD to the server? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr Google says it's in Power Pack 1 for home server
    A quick search of microsoft web site it seems to be vapourware or just well hidden

it's been announced but cba looking for the date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks for that - so the options seem to be to wait for Power Pack 1 or revert to 32-bit now. I've had lots of niggling driver issues etc. with 64-bit and am eager to get my server up and running, so at this stage I'd like to just cut my losses and go with 32-bit.

I'm always a bit nervous about doing OS updates cos I'm not that familiar with them, but I guess I'll just stick in the 32-bit DVD and see how I get on, though any tips are more than welcome :D

Don't know what I did during installation originally, but the D: is the 200GB drive and has a Windows directory and when I remove that HDD the system won't boot. The 500GB drive is the C: drive and it also has a Windows directory and also all the Program Files. Seems the OS might be somehow split between the 2 disks.

Sorting it out so I can remove the 200GB drive is just optional - main goal is to get 32-bit installed to get the server up and running ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

For anyone who might be trying to do something similar in the future: I went ahead and put in the 32-bit DVD and chose Custom Install to install a fresh 32-bit copy of Windows.

Didn't take long and I'm pretty sure it no longer needs the Windows files on my 200GB drive, so I should be able to remove that.

Bummer is that all my installed programs no longer work so I'll have to do a lot of reinstalling - should take a few hours but at least I have the server up and running now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

whats the story frankg, i don't if you got any of my pm's regarding the intervarsity fight with Richie in 2000, but if you didn't any luck in seeing if he has a copy of the fight

Advertisement