Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - Nuclear Equations - Radioactive Decay !?

• 03-02-2008 2:27pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

I don't get it at all, Anyone have any links to a good site that explains it?

Examples:

(iv) Cockcroft and Walton, under the guidance of Rutherford, used a linear particle
    accelerator to artificially split a lithium nucleus by bombarding it with high-speed
    protons. Copy and complete the following nuclear equation for this reaction.
    7          1
     Li    +    H                
    3          1

(a) In beta decay, a neutron decays into a proton with the emission of an electron. Write a
    nuclear equation for this decay. Calculate the energy released during the decay of a
    neutron.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The lithium and hydrogen atom was split into two helium atoms. Remember, the 7 + 1 and the 3 + 1 must equal the right hand side, helium has an atomic mass of 4, and atomic number of 2, so it's balanced.
    For that equation all you need to do is learn it off really...

For the beta decay one.. um, I think it's just...

neutron (atomic mass 1, atomic number 0) -> proton (atomic mass 1, atomic number 1) + electron (atomic mass 0, atomic number -1).
    The energy released is given by e=m(c^2), take the mass before (ie mass of a neutron), minus the mass after (mass of proton + mass of electron), multiply it by the speed of light squared and that's your energy released.

It's a bit childish I guess, but this site's pretty good: http://particleadventure.org/
    It goes into too much detail regarding some things, though, for example, the LC physics course doesn't bother with quark colourings.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Also, I realise now that that website is a lot more focused on particle physics than specifically radiation.. but it's still a good site.

Im doing the particle physics option unfortunately so that site helps :)

I get it now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

conzy wrote: »
    I get it now
    yeah after 5 years lol....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I get it now
    Always good to hear! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

I get it now

This put a smile on my face!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Just be happy for him, he got it eventually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement