Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual names in Ireland

• 03-02-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering which exactly is an Irish persons name: the anglican or hibernian version.

As an example, I'm Cian Moran but I've been told that legally I'm also Cian O'Morain.

Anyone able to clariify this?
    Would someone be able to write their hibernian name on an official document or anything like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it depends. Depending on the document, you may be required to show that you normally use that name in every day life.

For example, your passport shows that name that appears on your birth cert, but you can have it show a different name (e.g. the Irish translation) if you can provide evidence that you would normally use that name/spelling - bank statements and so forth. A note is then made in your passport that the name is not your birth name but it is your normal name.

To the best of my knowledge, if you wish to actually change your name, rather than alter the spelling or use a different translation, it needs to be legally recognised through a formal application.

Advertisement