Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veal Marsala & buying veal

• 03-02-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi

I would like to cook my girlfriend a really good veal marsala this valentines- it is her favorite.

Does anyone know good have a good recipe to hand for it?

Also - does anyone know a good place to buy veal I have tried a few butchers already without success and I would prefer to but from a butcher.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

There's a excellent butcher in Rathmines that should have it. They have all types of mad meat. I'm not sure of the name. If you go up the rathmines road, in the opposite direction to town, go past the Tesco, drive another minute up the road and its on the right hand side. (near fathergills deli).

Good Luck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think you mean Lawlors Butchers. They are excellent. They're my local guys and I know they were selling veal escallope in there the other day.

They also have the franchise down in Morton's near to the Beechwood Luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Just a question re the Marsala, i am going to make Chicken Marsala for Valentines but wasn't sure wheather to use dry or sweet Marsala for cooking?
    Which do you use for the Veal? Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Downey's Terenure. You use the dry Marsala for meats, the sweet for desserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Corelli

Thanks for all your replies. In the end I will probably get it from Falln&Byrne as it is much closer.

Unfortunately I have had trouble finding Marsala wine. Most off-licences don't do it; I am going to try the Italian deli along the millennium walkway.

Does anyone know where to find Marsala cooking wine?

• Advertisement

I have still never used the Marsala myself but after a long search i did find that Superquinn stocks it, i just wasn't sure what sort of wine to go for so didn't bother. It comes in dry or sweet. That question was answered for me above.
    I think it was about €17 or so.. would be interested to hear how it goes if you do make it! I'm just going to use chicken instead of the veal when i do get around to giving it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Corelli

jessie1 wrote: »
    .. would be interested to hear how it goes if you do make it! I'm just going to use chicken instead of the veal when i do get around to giving it a shot.

Hi Jessie;

I did end up making it. I found Marsala in celtic whiskey shop and cooked it with veal (EUR10 for enough for two people). It was my first tme cooking veal and I was amazed. Cooked it for about 19 mins in a skillet and it menlted in my mouth- it was as soft as stewed lamb. Very nice.

incidentally; I was told though that all the veal fro consumption in Ireland is from UK/france & Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I am concerned to hear that the veal we buy here is from uk/france and germany! I had understood that there was some veal production here, and that is why the veal we buy here is not 'white' meat as it would be in France, as our (and UK) laws mean the animal is not contained on a pallet and has feed containing iron... I wouldn't be happy buying veal from france - or am I completely out of date here?

Excellent, sounds like you enjoyed it. How did the sauce turn out with the Marsala? Was it worth the effort to hunt it down?
    I was in Superquinn the other night and couldn't find it at all this time!

Advertisement