Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World in Conflict?

Options
  • 03-02-2008 4:07pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Anyone play this? Opinions? Didn't see much talk of it around here...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd try the demo, its a interesting RTS as you use WSAD to navigate rather than mouse, it works well, also graphics are top notch stunning on high, grab the demo and see what you think ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

i've tried and retried to like this game but can't get into it. I'm sure if you're american its great to defend landmarks you know and love but for an irish person i feel a little detached from it. (still waiting for a russian invasion map of dublin :rolleyes:)

Its an RTS but without the ability to build bases or stockpile resources. There really isn't much strategy to it either, it just feels like you are progressing from point A to B... defending this then attacking that. It feels less RTS and more like a 3rd person point and click.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

This is one of several game I own quite a while but not played too much as I'm waiting for an upgrade to play it at decent settings.

Its not your typical RTS in fact its not an RTS its an RTT or real time tactical as the developers put it.

There is no base building, you just get points to buy units (infantry,tanks,choppers etc) and tactical aids (artillery, disy cutter bombs,nukes etc). As soon as your units die you buy more units and they get airlifted in to a point of your choosing. The more units you loose and destroy the more points you get. You have to pick and mix the right units. You can't overly depend on 1 unit type say heavy choppers as even if your successfull in an attack the enemy will come back with AA guns and anti air choppers and anti air tactical aids. You need to use units in the right way as well. Infantry are crap in the open where they can be run down by vehicles but hiding in woods they are pretty effective or garrisoning buildings.
    Game modes are simialr to battlefields 2 ticket timer system where you hold areas for so long to wear down the enemys ticker or you attack turns on the same map attacking and defending and whoever does better captures or defends more points wins. The story line to the the single is pretty good without being outstanding, though Alec Bladwin is a pretty good narrator.

From a mutiplayer perspective the game is mean't to be fairly balanced as there is pretty much an identical unit on each side in terms of performance and effectiveness even if they look different and the online playing enviroment is pretty robust and stable. I did hear Soviet artillery was slightly better and infantry as a whole where a bit too weak but I think those issues have been addressed in several patches. 1v1 is not mean't to be that interesting and if your into mutiplayer you need to play in team games on voice coms to really enjoy it. In this case each team member takes on a certain role such as infantry commander, or artillery commander etc.

From a performance perspective this game is like Crysis. Its a fantastic looking game and its DX10 features are actually noticable, with dynamic soft smoke and shadows, realistic weather and lighting effects plus support for duel monitors. Its hard to play it on high DX9 settings on current high end machine so DX10 is out of the question. Even 2x8800GT in SLI and the new ATI 3870x2 don't offer smooth enough frame rates at 1680x1050 in DX9.

From the time I did play it does look good overall. Reviews have also been very positive for the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got this a few days after it came out, and absolutly loved it. Its probably the best rts of last year. No base building (which is a good thing imo), and some great set-pieces. Performance wise, it ran perfectly for me. I had it on fairly high settings, and i dont even have a dx10 card. Its a must have title if you like RTS games.

Plus i got a headset and a piece of the Berlin Wall in the collectors edition, for an extra €5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I played the beta and demo, both of which were quite good. However ultimately the game play was quite shallow I felt, although the campaign is supposed to have a great story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I played the Beta and demo and love both of them. Safe in the knowledge that these were only a taste of what was to come, I decided to splash the cash and buy the game. Unfortunately it hasn't lived up to my early expectations. Sure it looks great, and I have no problem playing it on my low end system, but there is something lacking in the game play department. The almost complete dearth of any strategy involved in the game could be the reason for this. As has been said, there is no real depth to the game, just repetition. And more often than not it turns out to be one team steam-rolling the other. All in all I actually found he single player aspect more enjoyable.

If it's available for €20 buy it, anything more is a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I got this a few months ago, and I absolutely love it, but I was bound to, I'm a ground control fanatic.

It's very fast paced, not easy to get into really. And in my eyes, it's all about the multi player. 1v1's are real too and fro fights with control and apparent victory switching every few seconds. I really do like how you can see an attack coming and immediately react to it. The team games are an altogether more calm affair, and the community is pretty decent.

Each unit in it has very distinct roles, and you can't afford to just leave them about their own business. Proper use of the offensive and defensive secondary attacks can make a world of difference. And it's really very pretty if asthetics would bother you at all.

Oh, and the music is lovely.

But I wouldn't recommend it if you're the type of person who plays red alert 2 and still likes to just overwhelm the other player with tanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Its an MP game 1st and a SP game second.

Just like supcom its all about the MP. But don't get me wrong its nothing like supcom. gaming experience is more that of something like BF2. Spawn in, take control points, die respawn etc. You join servers with 8 people already playing and stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have it but havent played in ages but did enjoy it online immensely.
    Other lgames like COD4,WOW and xbox 360 have sucked me away from it.
    By far my best online experience with online strategy games however.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Dcully wrote: »
    By far my best online experience with online strategy games however.

I'd agree with that.

I really enjoyed the SP campaign. Fantastic eye-candy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I thoroughly enjoyed the single player campaign but never really got into the multiplayer side of the game. It was just a bit too hectic for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its very good, really liking the campaign, and got my ass handed to me in a lan game

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Screw WIC - get Sins of a Solar Empire - its bloody brilliant. Better than Homeworld I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Maximilian wrote: »
    Screw WIC - get Sins of a Solar Empire - its bloody brilliant. Better than Homeworld I reckon.

interesting....

Trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Maximilian wrote: »

Im getting this game :D

Advertisement