Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on becoming an actor.

• 03-02-2008 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

I know it might seem like wishful thinking, but I really want to give acting a go. I have no experience as such, but there is something about it which greatly appeals to me. Its not about being famous or anything, sort of just experiencing things that seem far out in everyday life.

I apologise if this is the wrong area to post, but would be thankful for some of your guys views.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

YelNATS wrote: »
    Hi,

I know it might seem like wishful thinking, but I really want to give acting a go. I have no experience as such, but there is something about it which greatly appeals to me. Its not about being famous or anything, sort of just experiencing things that seem far out in everyday life.

I apologise if this is the wrong area to post, but would be thankful for some of your guys views.

this might not be the best forum and may get moved [not sure where to].

Do you have any acting experience? I assume your looking for film acting as this is the film board or are you interested in theatre and television? What age are you? what are you working at currently? Where do you live? Kinda need this information to offer advice.

With just the above to go on I'd say go down to a book store and pick up an evening classes guide book, find an acting class and take it, not only will you learn but you'll meet people in the small field and get advice from them on how to get further. You can take full time courses but I don't know what your current situation so don't know if that is an option. Contact your local drama or musical society, most towns have one, and see about getting some experience. find out about local shoots happening near you and contact the cast agent about being an extra and work your way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 YelNATS

I don't have acting experience as such, well at all really but I was in a tv ad for waffles when I was younger in America.

I'm actually pretty old I know(18) but seeing as we have only one life I figure I might as well give it a shot.

I live in Dublin, and thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Do a course in the Gaiety School of Acting. There's full-time, part-time (but serious) and 10-week courses. They have an excellent reputation in the industry, and you'll hear about a lot of auditions and the like there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 YelNATS

Would you think I should do some acting classes perhaps in a more relaxed environment before I go to the Gaiety?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You need to acquire acting experience, no matter the source. Although your interest may be film, take anything you can get when starting out. Audition for parts in community theatre (stage), etc. Start building a portfolio and look for an agent. Dub has a few, but London has a host of them. Be certain to network, and it wouldn't hurt to get invited to a few cast parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Might want to try www.filmmakersnetwork.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

YelNATS wrote: »
    Would you think I should do some acting classes perhaps in a more relaxed environment before I go to the Gaiety?

if your serious why would you start with an easier option? I think your better off going with the Gaiety as like mentioned already it has a good reputation. There are lots of courses out there that will offer you acting lessons, take your money and give you bad advice that can take ages to undo.

If your in dublin there are lots of amateur groups that you can join and gain some experience and also meet other actors who can give you advice on were to look for more work.

You could also try getting in touch with groups like the young irish filmakers or colleges that have film making courses. Most film making courses make at least one student film a year and usually advertise via the likes of FAS for actors.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Going to bump this over to Film Production - might get some more sound advice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well my organisation, which includes radio and television production, is having an open meeting this Wednesday evening to discuss future drama projects.

We're based out in Coolock and are completely not-for-profit.

If you or anyone else is interested in popping along then drop me a PM.

Advertisement