Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

hit dead end with torrents!!

• 03-02-2008 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

dont know where this should go but this is the best place i could see. i have one of the newer versions of the eircom netopia routers its a silver one. i am trying to use azureus and utorrent. i can get a green light but terrible speeds reaching no more than 20kb/s. i have done all the port fowarding and switched firewall to low and i still get really bad speeds. does anyone have any ideas how to get them working??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

are there enough seeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

*Sigh*
    Dont tell me eircom are jumping on this 'torrent throttling' fad as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Torrents all depend on the trackers and the amount of people uploading. If its not a private torrent site I wouldn't expect to see any decent speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Did you allow for port-forwarding on your router for the torrent client?
    Did you allow MS firewall to not block traffic from your bittorrent?

I had a similar problem, what I did to fix it I can't really remember, but I did an internet search on port-forwarding and slow speeds w/ bitcomet and the fix was quick and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

utorrent has an inbuilt test for port checking, run it and see what results u get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

they still work fine, whatever you're downloadin obviously has a low seeds/leechers ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

i agree with the man above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭emmet14

no its not seeds problem.... i am conected to a bout 30 seeds and 50 peers... i have put off windows firewall and forwarded the ports as shown on port forward.com... also says on utorrent the port 64541 is o.k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭phill106

depending on program, some torrent programs give you the option to encrypt the data, if yours has the option, tick the box, and set your torrent port as 80. To the isps, looks like web surfing then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

the seeds you're downloadin off have prob just limited their upload speed, what ya need is to connect to some guy in scandinavia who uploads at 200 kb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

what connection do you have? it also depends on how much bandwidth you have.

i had eircom 2mb in my parents house and would barely get 130 - 150kb/s.

now ive got chorus and have a 6mb line and i max out at about 500 - 600kb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You also need to change the firewall on the Netopia to either low or off.

FWIW, I've never known Eircom to throttle anything including torrents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭emmet14

a talked to someone about it and they said my speeds were about right. it slowly builds itself up to about 70kb/s and then falls to about 25 and starts over! i thought i would get about a 100kb/s on a 1mb connection. one last thing about azureus does the tcp port and udp port have to be the same or can they be different

Advertisement