Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink/fan questions

Options
  • 03-02-2008 5:13pm

Hi there, while im waiting for my new cooling sytem to arrive i have temporarly put on an old heat sink/fan from an amd 3000+ onto an amd 3600+ x2 until it arrives, is this safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Did you check your temps?

Download a program called Coretemp google it

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• idle temps are high 41 - 45 for both cores. think il put my big room fan beside the case to keep it cool lol. its sluggish performing too so i presume its overheating?? its only brand new.

did you reapply thermal paste?

• i only had a small bit of thermal paste left, doubt its sufficiant. the temps have dropped below 40 now cos of the desk fan. think il leave it there till tuesday when the new heatsink/fan arrives. i also think the other reason for system acting so poor is that my hard old hard drive with xp on it has too be dying on me. i have it nearly 7 years. im gona remove it all together and reinstall xp on my new sata drive. I also noticed that the heat of the cores seems to be very erratic as in it jumps from 36 - 39 40 every couple of seconds

yea just dont do anything to hectic on it untill the new cooler arrives!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Temps sound perfectly acceptable to me for an X2 with an old stock cooler... no need to worry, especially if you plan replacing it anyway. I'd say even playing games, if its idling at 45, it'll be well within operable temps at full load. What is load temp?

Awhile ago when I was building my PC I forgot to snap on half of the cooler after getting distracted, only did one side. Only noticed when I got around to installing Core Temp and was idling in the 70s/80's. :eek:

• Ok thanks guys. Will take it easy till tuesday :P
    Just finished setting up windows on new hard drive. Runs and loadsway smoother. Just need to pull the old crap one out..might use it as a door stop or some10 :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    i only had a small bit of thermal paste left, doubt its sufficiant...

You only need to use a very small amount of thermal paste. Its function is to plug up any microscopic valleys in on the two metal surfaces.

Advertisement