Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading my car

Options
  • 03-02-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I just had a guy contact me re my advert in Carzone. He had a car also in carzone and was wondering if I would like to trade. Actually sounded like a decent trade so I phoned him to get more info.

All seemed ok, but the guy was hoping that we could meet with all paperwork and do a deal tonight. He was unwilling to meet a second time as he didn't have time to waste looking at cars and said if we both like the trade we should just do it on the spot and drive away in each others cars.

Now I'm new to trading cars have bought many but is that how it works these days. He didnt sound dodgy but I just told him it wasn't my thing to hand over the keys of my ex pride and joy without at least sleeping on it never mind contacting my insurance company........

.....Am I out of the loop.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep. Walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes walk away, he hasn't even seen your car in the flesh and wants it without any kind of inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Don't walk - run away! What did he want to trade for yours as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

eamon234 wrote: »
    Don't walk - run away! What did he want to trade for yours as a matter of interest?

He has a WRX Impreza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Walk away, sounds dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

eamon234 wrote: »
    Don't walk - run away!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How did he react when you told him you'd like more time?

Anan1 wrote: »
    How did he react when you told him you'd like more time?

I told him I would have to change my insurance, get all my paperwork
    and check his car out. He told me "well lets do it all for tomorrow night?" To which I replied "No thank you" and hung up. He sent me a text to let me know to contact him if I change my mind.

Very strange! I know a guy who traded like this before, maybe its fine for something under 10k but its really not my thing.

Has anyone else done it like this before!!

It's really impossible to tell from what you've said whether the guy was genuine or not. Personally, I would have talked to him, explained my reservations, and seen whether or not a mutually agreeable solution could be arrived at.

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's really impossible to tell from what you've said whether the guy was genuine or not. Personally, I would have talked to him, explained my reservations, and seen whether or not a mutually agreeable solution could be arrived at.

I did talk to him. I spoke to him on the phone. I was just wondering if it was a common thing to do. Meet, then hand over keys and drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I know someone who pulled up at a red light and by the time it went green had traded a Landcruiser for a Landcruised Amazon. No sh1t!

Out of interest, what car would you be trading? Would there be any cash changing hands? Had you considered an Impreza before he called?

If you are interested, I see no harm in meeting up, somewhere public with plenty of lighting.

I know someone who bought a 1 year old S-Class. The guy he bought it off was very eager to close the deal (he wanted money brought to the first meeting - in a Tesco car park!). Yer man shows up, checks out the car and makes an offer, subject to finance and mechanic check. Everything was kosher. Saved himself over E30k on new price - no-one else would go near the guy selling the car cuz he sounded so dodgy!

Chonker wrote: »
    I did talk to him. I spoke to him on the phone. I was just wondering if it was a common thing to do. Meet, then hand over keys and drive away.
    I mean discuss it with him, see whether you could find a formula you were both happy with. No offence, but you just said "No thank you" and hung up. He's the one who knows whether or not he was genuine, there's no point in asking us!

To answer your second question, it certainly happens. I've often bought cars on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I've bought my last 4 cars on the spot, cash in hand and driven away, and sold 3 that way as well (1 was a deposit on the spot and driven away a couple of days later, others were cash and gone).

But there has always been a fair amount of to and fro over the phone or e-mail first. No way would I have gone and swapped that evening, as described. One way of flushing out the dodgy folk is to ask for reg number so you can run a check on it. A genuine buyer won't mind but a dodgy one will.

Advertisement